What was your first?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What was your first?

Post by bunkysdad »

My first was a answer to the J&G add in the Shotgun News. 59.95. 300 rds of Hungarian yellow tip ammo and the 1943 Izhevsk cost me 126.00 shipped to my FFL.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Back about '93 I bought a Westinghouse that no bubba had fiddled with. I thought it looked neat and it was cheap. Way under $100. I had no idea what it was. After a few of the rounds included with it keyholed I took it back to the shop. :shock:

Fast foward to a few years ago, I found out those oddball eagle stamos that had been all over it were US acceptance stamps. Oops. If I only knew then....
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
vegaome

Post by vegaome »

Well about 3 years ago I bought a 1942 Izhevsk M91/30 refurb at Cabella's. It took a back seat due to kids. I still have not cleaned the cosmoline off yet. Then I bought a couple more refurbs the other day. I like the guns and their history, they are wood and metal much like old banjos I used to collect but play a different kind of music. I have to restrain myself from buying more, least my family go hungry. I will buy more when I save more. I would like to get a good shooting one. I like them all though and most are affordable. Kind of hooked on them and I enjoy reading all the great finds on the forums. Just like modern day treasure hunts.

v/r

Mike
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That's believable. Just the other day a guy right here on the forum sent back a Tula m44 to J&G sales because the stock was ugly.:shock:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

TheSovietSamurai wrote:My first Mosin was my Finn-built M91, 1907 Izhevsk Serb-contract barrel and Westinghouse receiver. I found it in an old rural gun store sitting amongst a bunch of modern sport rifles, the owner of the store identified it only as 'an old Russian rifle'. At this point I didn't even own a licence, but was still on the lookout. After studying Mosins for a few weeks prior, I knew that it was an Izhevsk M91, although I had no idea it was related to FInland, Serbia or the U.S in any way. I placed a deposit on it immediately after looking over it. As I was leaving, another guy walked in and asked to see the 'Mozzin Nayjent', he was rather disappointed after hearing that he was just 5 minutes too late :P This particular rifle was my first, but it initially was no the plan. Just a day prior I had a very rough wartime 1943 Izhevsk put on hold, but cancelled it in order to get first pick of the next crate, which was my 32' Tula refurb. I'm glad that it went down the way it did, and proud that I can call that M91 my first rifle.

Here it is:

:soapbox:
That is a very nice Mosin, the story is such a find, in the most unlikely places makes this so much more interesting. :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: I think you found my dream. I hope some day sanity we over come fear and you will be able to collect more Mosin's . Very nice Mosin. :thumbsup:
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

My first Mosin purchase was a two'fer deal at a gunshow in '06, it was the last day of the show, dealer had a few M91/30 and M44 in sealed boxes left. He taped together two rifle boxes and sold them as sets. I got my first two for 150.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
gurn

Post by gurn »

It was back when I first got my C&R so I made an order with SOG. Got two 91/30s. Just found out a few months ago the Tula 1942 is an ex sniper.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

My first was a threesome. 2T-53s and a Finn M91.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

bunkysdad wrote:That's believable. Just the other day a guy right here on the forum sent back a Tula m44 to J&G sales because the stock was ugly.:shock:
That person was me, it was a Molot w/ a counter bore and stock beat to Shit because they didn't pack it right, one of the latest purchases before that was a Izhevsk M44, also a Molot, but perfection in every detail & all matching except for the magazine. Sweet bore and metal is 100%.

My first was a 1931 Finn M27 Tikkakoski that I traded a Norinco SKS new out of the box for that I paid $55.00 from a big box store going out of business about 15 years ago never shot it, but had cases of ammo to feed it and other AK's and a Yogo 56 plus mags.

Had absolutely no idea what a M27 was but looked kinda cool as a old milspec this was 4FEB13 when the trade went down.

So now 10 mos. later and (22) 91/30 Hex's (50% Tula & Izhevsk between '24 & '37), plus (2) M39's and the most recent '42 91/30 Izhevsk laminate which is beautiful wood including the bore condition. 8-)

All of this has occurred this year w/in this time frame. :brolleyes:

Have had to slow down owing the ammo purchases as the hobby room is lacking storage space owing to the other '06 and 8mm stuff in ammo cans. :angry4:

If I could turn my granddaughters room into a ... grandma won't let that happen since she just spent 2K for built in book shelves, or our bonus room (currently our son's room when he visits) my storage problems would be solved. :vsad: :vsad: :brolleyes:

Is there hope for me? As the vault is full of USGI & other stuff, unless I sell off the Jap 99, and 98K's? :vconfused:
TheSovietSamurai

Post by TheSovietSamurai »

Judi and her Mosins wrote:

That is a very nice Mosin, the story is such a find, in the most unlikely places makes this so much more interesting. :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: I think you found my dream. I hope some day sanity we over come fear and you will be able to collect more Mosin's . Very nice Mosin. :thumbsup:
Thank you! :thumbsup: I hope so too, another firearm I'd love to own would be a Finn-captured SVT-40/38, although I know I'll never own one, as long as I'm this country :cry:
Have no fear though, those pesky regulations and paranoid politicians won't stop me from collecting Mosins! Just over a year now and I'm not done yet 8-) :lol: (Incoming Polish M44 and German Gewher 98 not pictured :D )

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

TheSovietSamurai wrote:

Thank you! :thumbsup: I hope so too, another firearm I'd love to own would be a Finn-captured SVT-40/38, although I know I'll never own one, as long as I'm this country :cry:
Have no fear though, those pesky regulations and paranoid politicians won't stop me from collecting Mosins! Just over a year now and I'm not done yet 8-) :lol: (Incoming Polish M44 and German Gewher 98 not pictured :D )

Now that my friends is dedication. Keep the faith my friend. :thumbsup:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

TheSovietSamurai wrote:

I have to say very nice, :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: Wonder what kind collection you would have here. Very nice rifles. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

A cute little blonde i meet at the marina............. :thumbsup:

Oh you mean my 1st Mosin......... ;mywink;
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Artemus

Post by Artemus »

My first one is now my son's first one. 1939 Izhevsk I bought from Bud's because of the free shipping. This was before my C&R. By the time I had a few 91/30s and carbines, I let my son (20 yrs) pick one and he picked the first one he had shot. He says he likes the long rifles better than the carbines.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology will appear to be magic."
1915 Tula (Peter the Great) Finn M91
1915 New England Westinghouse Finn M91
1926 Tula M91/30 ex-dragoon
1931 Izhevsk M91/30
1931 Finn M27
1939 Izhevsk M91/30 Laminated
1939 Tula M91/30
1941 Finn VKT M39
1943 Tula M91/30 ex-sniper
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M38
1943 Izhevsk M91/59
1944 Izhevsk M38
1944 Tula M44
1944 Izhevsk PU Kazan Sniper
1947 Izhevsk M44
1953 Hungarian M44
1954.1 Arsenal 296 T53
1955.3 Arsenal 296 T53
1956 Arsenal 26 T53
entropy

Post by entropy »

'42 Izhevsk M38. Went to Fleet Farm to check them out for a co-worker who wanted one, but was wary. I bought one, and made the mistake of only buying 20 rounds for it. I took it home, cleaned it up, and fired the first round, anticipating nasty recoil. (I had fired a MkV Enfield that was rather punishing, and I figured the Mosin carbine would be, too.) After the first, the other 19 went very quickly! Then I started working with this guy named Ron......
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien