What do you carry (CCW) and how do you load for it

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Re: What do you carry (CCW) and how do you load for it

Post by websterz »

I just finished building my new carry rig and thought I'd post some pics.

Here's the front:

And the back:

And a closeup of the front:

I shamelessly copied the White Hat / Crossbreed / King Tuck inside the waistband style because I am too damn cheap to spend the money. :lol: Seriously, why pay upwards of a Benjamin when I had most of the stuff on hand to make my own?

Just like the big boys I used heavy horsehide for the back, heavy-duty Kydex for the shell, and top quality hardware from Tandy leather to finish it out. I have less than $30 in this rig and it is every bit as good. This is the 2nd version I made and only the 2nd time I have ever worked with Kydex. This project is a breeze and I highly recommend it for those with even the most basic craftiness. It was a load of fun too! If you have never tried this style of holster you will be pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it is. I am a big guy...no, really, I mean a B-I-G guy and I forget I have the holster on. Even sitting down for long periods it just becomes a part of your clothing.

The pistol is my she86 CZ82. I replaced the mag bases with Beretta rubber bases, bobbed off the lanyard ring, and added a Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove for extra grip. I have the materials on hand to refinish the pistol but will wait and do that in the spring when my shop warms up. Now where is my permit???
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I was going to say, that looks like a brown King Tuk :lol:
Excellent kydex molding. You did a very nice job with everything.

I carry different things depending, but most my most oft carried handgun is my LCR in an appendix holster.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:Wife and I both carry the CZ82 in CZ shoulder holsters. We have more powerful handguns, but for CCW we do not feel we are going to get into a gun fight across the street. Nor do we wish a .40 or .45 round going through another car or near by house. My wife has serious arthritis of hands and fingers. But, the CZ82 she can easily fire with great accuracy in DAO. She cannot work even the slide on a Ruger LCP to load it. The CZ82 9X18 Makarov bullet in Hornady Custom or Critical Defense loads is just fine for short range. Plus, target ammo is far, far less expensive to use to build proficiency!
The 9X18 is something I have considered as I like the design of the projectile, it looks like a real meat axe and should transfer energy pretty good. My problem is my hands I am 6 ft 4 in and 250 lbs so my hands are not what one would call small. My CZ 52 I just got this summer is bit on the small side for me and I have tried some of th smaller hand guns and the lack of a grip is a pain in the U KNOW WHAT for me. That's why I carry my Ruger or my 1991A1 as it is a much better fit. Believe it or not I like the Nagant 1895 as well I think that round and that revolver would serve rather well for some close quarters stuff.
young_gun

Post by young_gun »

I just recently ordered a Taurus model 65 stainless steel with the four in barrel I'll try a few different brands and weights of ammo to see which I like and how the gun shoots I'm going to take my CC class in a couple weeks then ill be ready to go
Drago

Post by Drago »

For about 6mo., I carried a HK USP .45, then I traded a Cetme for a Springfield Ultra Compact 9mm thinking it would be great for my wife. Well, I fell in love with it and it's been my primary carry this past year.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Sweet rig, websterz! Hey, could you post or PM me with the particulars about how to build that? I'd like to do at least one for each of my CCW guns, and they'd be a fun project. I tried on my brother in laws Crossbreed for his G19, and it felt great, one for my PT-145 would see a lot of use.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

entropy wrote:Sweet rig, websterz! Hey, could you post or PM me with the particulars about how to build that? I'd like to do at least one for each of my CCW guns, and they'd be a fun project. I tried on my brother in laws Crossbreed for his G19, and it felt great, one for my PT-145 would see a lot of use.
Thank you, I am kinda' proud of it. :redfaced:

This video will teach you all you need to build this rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeKuSX5HLrM

Tandy Leather has the belt clips and open back Chicago screws (VERY important to get the 1/8" open back style!).

For foam I bought a cheap EVA foam yoga mat on Ebay for about $10, and cut up an old piece of plywood for the pistol cut-out (best way to shape the Kydex...period!). I don't have a press, I just stack everything up on a chair and sit on it. Don't laugh it works great!!

One thing I didn't mention is that you need to secure something to the pistol to form a sight channel while molding the kydex. I cut a 1" long piece of an old round wooden pencil and secured it with duct tape. This forms a slightly larger channel right behind the front sight so it doesn't drag or catch on the plastic. Just lay it lengthwise right behind the sight and center it up side-to-side.

I heat the kydex in the kitchen oven, right on the rack. 250* and watch for the material to droop like warm sliced cheese.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Drago

Post by Drago »

Websterz, that holster is uber-cool. It looks totally professional!
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Drago wrote:Websterz, that holster is uber-cool. It looks totally professional!
Thank you! I appreciate the compliment. :)

cuate

Post by cuate »

My Concealed handgun is a Springfield Ultra Compact Cal. .45 and I reload my own cartridges, Jacketed hollow points for concealed carry and ordinary 230 graqin jacketed round nose for target practice...I live in a rural area of West Texas with a very low crime rate and we may legally carry a handgun in our vehicle as long as it is concealed in that vehicle, without a license of any type but do have a Texas CHL license and do carry in large and larger cities where crime is apt to be rampant. I do not shop in nor go around areas where crime is rampant or where criminal types live or hang out.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Criminal types can look like a mild mannered librarian and live anywhere, trust no one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Criminal types can look like a mild mannered librarian and live anywhere, trust no one.
In God We Trust...the rest of you keep your hands where we can see them! 8-)

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Great work on the holster Web.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Longcolt44 wrote:Great work on the holster Web.
Thanks! Unfortunately it has been sold so now I have to make myself another one. :mrgreen: Just what I need...a new sideline business. LOL Anyone else want a CZ82 holster while I have the tools out? :lol: :lol: :lol:

BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I have a crossbreed for one of my pistols and a king Tuk for a .45. I like how they carry but I hate the draw and reholster from the Kydex. In the winter it's no problem cause I carry with a Blackhawk Serpa but in the summer it's just not realistic. Anyone else feel that way about Kydex?
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

I carry a USP .40 when I'm not at work. My first gun and still my baby.
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I keep a CZ-82 in 9 x 18 in the truck. I reload 9 Makarov with a 95 grain Hornady XTP over 3.8 grains of Hogdon Universal, giving me just under 1000 FPS.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

This is my newest concealed carry option.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice one. I noticed you said option so you must be a walking aresenal. :lol: I do occassionaly change up and carry a 45 every now and then. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)