New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
moose1971

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by moose1971 »

sorry forgot to mention its a m91.
moose1971

Post by moose1971 »

bump to get my 3rd. post! ;)
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Moose1971 :welcome3: to the forum. Without pics it's hard to tell, but with a hooded front sight it should be a 91/30. 1926 dated it was a probably a dragoon at one time and updated to a 91/30. But a lot of other countries acquired Mosin Nagants and there are a lot of variants out there, so pics will have the final say.
moose1971

Post by moose1971 »

thanks for the reply and the warm welcome! its a refurb as the serials are different fonts. shot it today. got a 3in group at 50 yrs. off hand with 148 grn wolf ammo! shoots as good as my deer rifle w/ a scope off hand! pretty good for a 90 yr. old rifle!
Dave Wenzel

Post by Dave Wenzel »

I have 4 MN's, 2 91/30, 1 m 44 and just picked up a 1891/59. Year on barrel is 1938 and it has Tula star on the barrel. Am joining your group to find more info on this and to enlarge my knowledge of MN's
Thanks.
DAVE
Billofthenorth1

Post by Billofthenorth1 »

Ah here it is, a place for me to make that all important first post and along with it a first impression that will indelibly last for my entire sojourn through this board. Hopefully, it goes better than the first impression I certainly left with Stacy Mulhulligan in 9th grade. I swear I got splashed by a truck and didn't wet my pants, alas she couldn't have known that.
Anyhow, I have three (3) MNs, one of each kind :whistle: , a 91/30, an M38 and an M44. Should I happen to acquire any others I will gladly allow that they too can share in the MN genealogy, Tovarich!

Okay, that's my first post. I hope to do more but I often just absorb the knowledge like a sponge and then drip it all over the floor. Sorry Mom, I'll clean it up once I'm done here.

Seriously though, it's great to be here.

Bill
44Nagant

Post by 44Nagant »

Hello all! New member and new to the Mosin Nagant platform. Looking to gain insight and info on my new to me rifle.
"Never miss a chance to shut up!" The late Judge Roy Bean
BamBamDeer

Post by BamBamDeer »

Hello to all!

I am a Retired Police Officer now teaching Firearms and TactOps. I have been a Firearms Enthusiast most of my life....since I learned to walk anyway. I have a Russian Made mdl44 and am about to add a 91/30 to my collection. Congrats on running an informative and interesting forum and I look forward to forging new friendships.

Thanks for having me!
kwis

Post by kwis »

Hello. Kurt Wisner (kwis) here. I live in Northeast Georgia and am retired. I'm the proud new owner of a 1924 Tula ex-Dragoon. At least Santa tells me the rifle in the spare room might be mine if I continue being good. I have enjoyed reading various posts and articles associated with the forum and information site and find JYD's videos to be the most clear - visual and explanation - I've come across. I look forward to diving into more of the threads on the forum and learning more.
f8lcobra

Post by f8lcobra »

New member, I'm Brent from Michigan. I recently acquired a Finnish M28 Ski Trooper and look forward to learn more about it.
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Hi there
I just bought myself a 1930 Izhevsk 91-30
It's double date stamped MO 1930/53
All numbers match except floor plate which was re-numbered.
No rust, good rifling, nice stock with no damage.
I'm curious to know if this rifle is rare - seems to me that it should be considering only 30,000 were made that year and this is an MO marked rifle??
IMG_0995.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3AXBAT

Post by 3AXBAT »

I've got only a couple Mosins to my name, a Finned 1893 Chatereau M91, an Izhevsk 1944 M44, and a Chinese carbine. In the fullness of time, I'll be looking for a common 91/30. I was a Russian linguist in the Air Force and I have a soft spot for barrel markings I can read.
Aksierra

Post by Aksierra »

Hello all,

New to the board and hopefully will be in the market for another Mosin soon. I currently only own an M44, but have always wanted a PU sniper. Wish I would have bought one a couple years ago when the prices were better.

Anyways Thank you for the hospitality.
c1a1

Post by c1a1 »

My first issue rifle was a c1a1, that's my site name. Owned a few MN's years ago, my interest has been rekindled. Currently there are 3 rifles for sale at a local store. By reading up on the various stampings, and articles posted here I will gain some knowledge on what to look for in a collectable MN.
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Good Morning all,

I love firearms, especially military surplus. I bought my first two Mosin Nagant's about 8 years ago and enjoyed shooting them quite a bit. Then somehow I ended up buying 3 more in the last 2 months. Yikes! They really do multiply quickly! I also have a K31 that I really enjoy. Looking forward to learning everything I can from you folks.

Warm Regards,

Preston
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
hokyjoe

Post by hokyjoe »

This is one of the best sites on Mosin Nagant rifles and other milsurp rifles on thee internet, I have been a fan of Mosin Nagant rifle ever since I bought my first rifle, a Polish carbine, way back in 1993. I'm looking forward to reading and sharing my meager experience on these wonderful relics of history and thank you for having me!
hafferf

Post by hafferf »

Howdy Folks!!... Just a quickie while I scramble around finding the right M/N firearm forums to to haunt while I get my first taste of all things Mosin Nagant. I just received my first from "Classic Arms" today, and I was enthused about the coming prospect of cleaning her up. I had a modest firearm collection back in the "70's".... but as time went by I lost interest and slowly sold them away. After Sandy Hook I realized that if I wanted to stand up for my 2nd Amendment I might want to look into the enjoyment of owning firearms again. This is the first long gun I've had that was slathered in Cosmoline. Now I've heard everything from diesel fuel to mineral spirits for cleaning the metal parts. Can any of you Old Heads out there steer me in the right direction? Then I'll tackle the wood. I can just imagine what a treat that will be. But when she's back in prime operating condition she'll prove her worth.
Thank you all for any replies
Fred
hafferf

Post by hafferf »

Hello Spongemonkey, and thanks for the quick response. I was thinking the same thing. A rubbermade tub or two and a gallon of MS. The stock may yake awhile longer as My wife isn't al warm and fuzzy to me using her oven to bake the Crap (Cosmolene) out of my wood. I'll search youtube for some videos and get started soon.
Thank you and Merry Christmas
Fred
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Grease, just grease, cosmoline is our stuff, and much harder to remove . Welcome to the board.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mosin2206

Post by mosin2206 »

I have an opportunity to buy an m28/30 for 750 dollars. In typical worn condition and bolt number not matching barrel. I know these are rare but the non match scared me off. How important is that?