New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
77MN77

Post by 77MN77 »

Hi! My name is Sonny. I acquired a soviet M44 November last year that ignited my interest in these rifles. Been lurking on this site since then and got lots of info. I recently acquired a 91/30 and currently tuning it for a scheduled range time. Decided to be a member since I already feel the "mosinitis" fever!
Capt Hook

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Capt Hook »

Would like to say Hello to everyone here .would like to know more about the old guns .thanks. Hook
edometz

Post by edometz »

Hello.
I just bought my first Mosin tonight, and I wanted to do some research on it. I'm looking to find out what I bought for $120.
redhat10

Post by redhat10 »

good morning, Picked-up this Mosin bug and needed more info, so I decided to quit lurking....Finnish capture 91/30 and russian m-44 now...Considering buying a bare sniper, just to have it...First posting.
Michigan shooter

Post by Michigan shooter »

Hello everyone,

My name is Bob aka michigan shooter and yup you guessed I'm from Michigan. I found this sight a couple of days ago searching reference material. Really liked it and I joined. No Mosin Nagant yet but there will be at least one in the near future.

Michigan shooter
Rightwinger9

Post by Rightwinger9 »

Been lurking on this forum, and finally decided to join. I am very interested in collecting and shooting Mosins. Thanks for letting me join.
mozinnahgandt29

Post by mozinnahgandt29 »

Hey guys, I just picked up my first mosin the other day and after doing a bit of research and a little youtubing im pretty interested with finding out as much as I can about my rifle.... it seems like a daunting task indeed. For starters its riddled with stamps and the date is unreadable due to a less than desirable stamp job. But I do have matching serial numbers so I know its not pieced together and its a 91/30 but thats about it is there any site with dates of manufacture that I can look at? If so I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks guys
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

PostalLRO wrote:Thanks for the answer on why there is no arrow visible. Next question from me is; I have yet to fire my Mosin; I'm going to do a head spacing test this weekend and if all is well would probably be out to use it at the range in the next couple of weeks. I have see a whole lot of different ways to clean the rifle after using the corrosive ammo. I saw someone using Windex with ammonia to clean the carbon and then yes he did oil all the metal parts. Is that actually a good/ok way to clean a 70+ year old rifle?
Thanks
Roy
Welcome to the board, just flush out the salts from the bore with a few cups of boiling water after shooting then clean the rifle with hopes 9 like you would any firearm, then oil it well for storage. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New member

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

77MN77 wrote:Hi! My name is Sonny. I acquired a soviet M44 November last year that ignited my interest in these rifles. Been lurking on this site since then and got lots of info. I recently acquired a 91/30 and currently tuning it for a scheduled range time. Decided to be a member since I already feel the "mosinitis" fever!
Welcome to the board Sonny :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Capt Hook wrote:Would like to say Hello to everyone here .would like to know more about the old guns .thanks. Hook
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

edometz wrote:Hello.
I just bought my first Mosin tonight, and I wanted to do some research on it. I'm looking to find out what I bought for $120.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yat97 wrote:Hi. I've got a Mosin. I want to eventually buy one from the 1890s. Don't care that much on the outside as I care about the rifling. But I'd still like to find a mint condition one later. Also a WW1 Mosin. The Mosin I've got not is mostly just for shooting. It's just your standard WW2 dated mosin.

I like em so much I worry I might become a Mosin hoarder and wind up on TV.

If I became a politician I'd try to get a bill passed that states that every household in America should have at least 1 Mosin. And I'd try opening up a Mosin factory to start making new ones. Does anyone know if Russia or anyone else is still making them?
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Molot in Russia is making a Mosin variant of their own, as to traditional M91's and such, nobody has made them in a very long time.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

redhat10 wrote:good morning, Picked-up this Mosin bug and needed more info, so I decided to quit lurking....Finnish capture 91/30 and russian m-44 now...Considering buying a bare sniper, just to have it...First posting.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Michigan shooter wrote:Hello everyone,

My name is Bob aka michigan shooter and yup you guessed I'm from Michigan. I found this sight a couple of days ago searching reference material. Really liked it and I joined. No Mosin Nagant yet but there will be at least one in the near future.

Michigan shooter
Welcome to the board Bob :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rightwinger9 wrote:Been lurking on this forum, and finally decided to join. I am very interested in collecting and shooting Mosins. Thanks for letting me join.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mozinnahgandt29 wrote:Hey guys, I just picked up my first mosin the other day and after doing a bit of research and a little youtubing im pretty interested with finding out as much as I can about my rifle.... it seems like a daunting task indeed. For starters its riddled with stamps and the date is unreadable due to a less than desirable stamp job. But I do have matching serial numbers so I know its not pieced together and its a 91/30 but thats about it is there any site with dates of manufacture that I can look at? If so I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks guys
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Mosins have the production date on the rifle in two places, the barrel, and the underside of the rear shank of the receiver. Sometimes they would reuse an older receiver and you get two different dates.
Theodore Roosevelt
Madrid

New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Madrid »

New to forum, this is my first Mosin. It's a Sako M39 with straight stock.

paulieocean

Post by paulieocean »

Hi there,

Great to meet everyone and hope to learn a lot about MNs.

Paul from Portland...
Rac

Post by Rac »

newbie here trying to identify my rifle on the barrel shank there is a T inside a triangle under that the numbers 24318 under that the letter D under that 1928
total length 46 3/4" weight 9 1/2 lbs. approx. I would like to know what ammo to use and where to purchase . Lots of great information on this site glad I found it.

thanks
RAC
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Rac wrote:newbie here trying to identify my rifle on the barrel shank there is a T inside a triangle under that the numbers 24318 under that the letter D under that 1928
total length 46 3/4" weight 9 1/2 lbs. approx. I would like to know what ammo to use and where to purchase . Lots of great information on this site glad I found it.

thanks
RAC
Sounds like you have a Finnish Tikka. It shoots 7.62x54. Pics will let us tell you exactly which model it is. I am gonna guess M27 from the date.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis