New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bandit wrote:Has anyone had experience with Royal Tiger purchases in terms of prices, quality of surplus rifles in other words do they walk the talk ? I was considering a Tula sniper but haven't worked with them bebefore. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

cheesefactory wrote:hi there
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

hardspunned wrote:Is my Izhevsk rifle manufactured in 1929 considered a MN 91/30?
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , If your rifle was updated to the 91/30 sights and handguard/bands then it is a 91/30.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

usmc73 wrote:High! I am a new member that has recently joined this forum.I look forward to exchanging info and helping answer other persons questions about the Mosin-Nagant 91,91-30,and other Russian rifles.I have 3 rifles in my collection that includes a Model 91 New England Westinghouse.A Tula model 91-30 dated 1939,and A Izhevsk model 91-30 PU dated 1942.Thank you all for your time on this post and look forward to talking and sharing ideas with you all. :D
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Kris-43 wrote:Hi i have a 1906 mosin nagant
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , M1891 or something else 1906 Mosin?
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

TMB wrote:Hi, I have a 1925 91/30 and a 1944 M44. Also had a 1943 91/30 but I gave it to son-in-law :o he was :D ... :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

cnicks wrote:I was a menber before. I have five 91-30s, one M91 (Finnish 1926 S/N 322, date on bottom of barrel, attached picture I hope), one M38, one M44 and two M39s including one 42- B-barrel with perfect stock, possible 1960s assembly.
That would have been during Bob Wheelers time running the old RMNF, welcome back :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mrwinter617 wrote:Hi
Just picked up 4th mosin remeington M91 finn capture . Can't wait to pick the brain of fellow mosin owners .
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Kcmatti wrote:My name is Kelly and I am trying to find out what type of Mosin I have. It doesn't seem to match up to any pictures, I have a few pics if I can send them to someone? The stock only goes past the rear sight and is barrel from there. The markings are a star for the total "I think" arsenal, with a date of 1937 and a five digit serial. Please respond to my email if possible at kcmatti@reagan.com, and I wil be out of town for a couple of weeks so I might below in returning any emails. Thanks
Welcome to the board Kelly, just size the pics down to 640x480 and then they will load onto the board, there should be a setting in your camera that will reduce picture size. :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

gtjohnson wrote:hello everyone newbie here hoping to gain knowledge here I have two babies a 36' and a 39'.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Falcondriver wrote:Hi. My name is Bill and I just purchased my first mosin. I love my M38. Now Im looking to add a hex receiver to my collection. Glad to be here.
Welcome to the board Bill :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SneakyJimmy wrote:New member here. I have 3 Mosin-Nagants and find them to be a very interesting part of history. Hope to learn more at this forum
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

easyliven88 wrote:Hello people of the RMNF....my name is Jason, I have been collecting milsurp rifle for about 3-4 years now. I really dig the collecting aspect, the history and just raw fire power these old warhorses have. :mrgreen: I'm just a novice collector and hope to have quite the collection some day. I'm always on the look out for that next item I can snag, and oogle over. I enjoy learning from others expertise so as I don't make (to) many mistakes when purchasing or maintaining my cache. Nothing quite like the feeling of an awesomely preserved 80, 90 or 100 year old military rifle. :D Well, I hope to share and learn some really good stories/advice in the future.

Thanks again...
Welcome to the board Jason :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

PostalLRO wrote:Greets all, I'm new here and have just picked up and cleaned my first Mosin. And yes, they are like Lays Chips...you can have just one. The Mosin has all kinds of marks all over it, I've started to try and get clear pictures of those so I can do the research. Anyway, here is my "new" rifle and also a question, has anyone else see the Tula Star without the Arrow?
Thanks
Roy
Welcome to the board Roy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Atlas Mason wrote:First post, to meet rules, and an introduction never hurt.

Hello, I am frequently called "Atlas' on an off screen. I recently purchased my first Mosin-Nagant. It is a hex barrel 1932, from Izhevsk. It has been heavily laden with both stock and barrel markings (I have learned that many are "inspector" markings and insignificant), and am on the hunt for where this gun has been, and why. Near as I can tell, it HAS been issued and carried as there is much wear to the wood if you were carrying it over the left shoulder, and it has the Ukrainian mark of "[\]" on the stock. I am wondering how to tell a "scrubbed" barrel number form a factory one, and a few other acrylic markings on the gun. One I know is "black powder certified. Other than that, I have been on a search. Any suggestions on where to look, and yes I have tried to scrub this forum, as well as the web, would be appreciated. Thank you, and may I just say, I LOVE this rifle. I love a puzzle, and this is one.
Welcome to the board Atlas :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

AndrewA74 wrote:Hi, my name is Andrew, I'm a collector in NC and love Mosin Nagants. Obligatory first post.
Andrew
Welcome to the board Andrew :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rdhem2 wrote:Yes it is true! I am real and actually have read the posted information. How's that for an intro?
Actually I have collected US military arms for about fifty years now and for the last few years have acquired misc foreign examples from most all other countries.

Usually when I was at a show with no new US gear, I would pick up a piece so I would not go home empty handed!

My very first Mosin was my first centerfire rifle. Rifle, bayonet, 15 rounds of ammo, $9.95. Sporterized that baby (a no no) but still have it. What else did a fourteen year old know? Since then I have acquired a clean 91-30, a Sako Finn, and a nice 1944 Sniper. From the info that came with the sniper it was last cleared from a Russian Armory for export in 2013. It is squeaky clean new with just a few light dings in the stock. I shoot cast lead bullets through these old warriors and thoroughly love it. Glad I found your site.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tigerdriver wrote:Hi from Tennessee,

I just received my first mosin yesterday, an M44 carbine. I have been a long time shooter and collector. I have just begun the Mosin Nagant dance. As I type, I am actively looking for my next. Found this forum while trying to find info on my M44.

Thanks for all of the good info.

Brian
Welcome to the board Brian :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

lougar wrote:Hi,
My name is Lou. Just found this website...thanks for being here.
I have one 91/30 and one M44. Love military rifles. Shoot them both.

Thanks...and now to the forum.
Welcome to the board Lou :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
PostalLRO

Post by PostalLRO »

Thanks for the answer on why there is no arrow visible. Next question from me is; I have yet to fire my Mosin; I'm going to do a head spacing test this weekend and if all is well would probably be out to use it at the range in the next couple of weeks. I have see a whole lot of different ways to clean the rifle after using the corrosive ammo. I saw someone using Windex with ammonia to clean the carbon and then yes he did oil all the metal parts. Is that actually a good/ok way to clean a 70+ year old rifle?
Thanks
Roy