New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
AK shooter

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by AK shooter »

Hi, my name is Mike and I am new to C&R firearms. I have 2 a type 53, and one of the recent Chineses sks imports. Looking forward to collecting more.
AK shooter

Post by AK shooter »

Hi, my name is Mike, I am new to collecting C&R firearms and this place looks like it could help with the addiction.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

AK shooter wrote:Hi, my name is Mike, I am new to collecting C&R firearms and this place looks like it could help with the addiction.
Hello Mike, welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
donb

Post by donb »

Hi, Don in Cleveland OH.

I'd been wanting a Mosin for a few months now.

On a a recent business trip I found a shop in Oklahoma City (Big Boys) with 40-50 91/30s on a rack, plus a dozen-ish Type 53s. All were $179, except one hex rcvr 91/30 was $219.

I picked thru a dozen and found a 1938 91/30 in really nice shape, bolt felt OK, and trigger was decent. I made a note of where it was in the rack.

Came back a few days later when I had time and went thru all the 91/30s. I liked the idea of a pre-WWII rifle so picked out 6 that were 1936-1939 to decide on. One of the last ones I looked at was a 1944 with plugged holes in the receiver...likely an ex-sniper rifle. Stock, bore, bolt looked good, and trigger was crisp even with all the cosmo on it. So, even though I wanted an older one, that's the one that came home with me. Spent 3-4 hours cleaning it up with mineral spirits and she's more than ready to shoot. Trigger is now way better than I expected for a 70 year old gun and breaks at 5 lbs.

Just need to go shoot it!

--Don
derry

Post by derry »

Hi, my name is Michael and I am a mosin-nagant collector.
westfalcon4

Post by westfalcon4 »

Hi all,

New to the forum.
Got into collecting Mosins about a year ago.
My first was a 43 Izhevsk that was a gift.
Since then, I've picked up a 29 Tula hex/ex-dragoon and a 44 Tula ex-sniper.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

donb wrote:Hi, Don in Cleveland OH.

I'd been wanting a Mosin for a few months now.

On a a recent business trip I found a shop in Oklahoma City (Big Boys) with 40-50 91/30s on a rack, plus a dozen-ish Type 53s. All were $179, except one hex rcvr 91/30 was $219.

I picked thru a dozen and found a 1938 91/30 in really nice shape, bolt felt OK, and trigger was decent. I made a note of where it was in the rack.

Came back a few days later when I had time and went thru all the 91/30s. I liked the idea of a pre-WWII rifle so picked out 6 that were 1936-1939 to decide on. One of the last ones I looked at was a 1944 with plugged holes in the receiver...likely an ex-sniper rifle. Stock, bore, bolt looked good, and trigger was crisp even with all the cosmo on it. So, even though I wanted an older one, that's the one that came home with me. Spent 3-4 hours cleaning it up with mineral spirits and she's more than ready to shoot. Trigger is now way better than I expected for a 70 year old gun and breaks at 5 lbs.

Just need to go shoot it!

--Don
Welcome to the board Don, one day you will look back and marvel at the idea that you could have had so many Mosins to pick through at one time. :thumbsup: :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

derry wrote:Hi, my name is Michael and I am a mosin-nagant collector.
Hello Michael, welcome to the board full of Mosin Nagant collectors :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

westfalcon4 wrote:Hi all,

New to the forum.
Got into collecting Mosins about a year ago.
My first was a 43 Izhevsk that was a gift.
Since then, I've picked up a 29 Tula hex/ex-dragoon and a 44 Tula ex-sniper.
Welcome to the board, nice gift! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
docnoah

Post by docnoah »

OK here goes, I look forward to learning more about about my Mosin from all of you. Thanks for the add...
Doc Noah
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

docnoah wrote:OK here goes, I look forward to learning more about about my Mosin from all of you. Thanks for the add...
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Welcome to all the new members :thumbsup: This is the best site on the internet. Sit back, read some very interesting threads and postings. Take advantage and see the movies and how to videos. Please pick yourself up a set of Okie head space gauges. Saftey first, and do not forget your Elby sight tool also. Do not be shy post some pictures also. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Dirk51

Post by Dirk51 »

Just bought my first mosin nagant, :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dirk51 wrote:Just bought my first mosin nagant, :D
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Edward54r

Post by Edward54r »

Hello, my name is Eddie. I recently bought a 1929 Ishevsk (91/30) Hex rcvr. at Big 5. I originally purchased it because I wanted a rifle I could afford for hunting. I also bought their inexpensive scope kit and had gunsmith install it. It only takes one pin out in rear sights and does not require any modification to the original. I hope this does not offend anyone on here....I am at about 20/25 vision, near sighted, and need the scope. I keep the sight part with the other accessories in the tool bag.
Then I became "hooked". I started reading about the history of this firearm, read Ivans War - story of Red Army soldier 1939-45. Never had any interest in History in H.S....buying this gun has inspired me to read and learn things I never knew about WWII, etc.
I then ran across a sweet little M 38 1944 Ishevsk at local gun shop, and picked that up for my 16 yr old son. It has the bayonet groove on stock. I am looking for a PU and a M44, that would be a nice little collection for me. Any other Mosin guys on Olympic Peninsula who like to go out shootin? Unemplyed right now, so no extra $$ for stuff right now. :-(
rjmt

Post by rjmt »

Greeting, I'm a new member
My son wanted a Mosin 91/30 for his birthday - found a pristine condition 1930 Izhevsk Mosin 91/30 in a little logging town in Washington state
still has brass end caps on the upper handguard - all matching numbers
as we cleaned it up, I caught Mosinitis
after months of searching, I found a '32 Izhevsk hex reciever 91/30 for myself
It has all matching numbers and a finger splice stock
at some point - will post photos
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Edward54r wrote:Hello, my name is Eddie. I recently bought a 1929 Ishevsk (91/30) Hex rcvr. at Big 5. I originally purchased it because I wanted a rifle I could afford for hunting. I also bought their inexpensive scope kit and had gunsmith install it. It only takes one pin out in rear sights and does not require any modification to the original. I hope this does not offend anyone on here....I am at about 20/25 vision, near sighted, and need the scope. I keep the sight part with the other accessories in the tool bag.
Then I became "hooked". I started reading about the history of this firearm, read Ivans War - story of Red Army soldier 1939-45. Never had any interest in History in H.S....buying this gun has inspired me to read and learn things I never knew about WWII, etc.
I then ran across a sweet little M 38 1944 Ishevsk at local gun shop, and picked that up for my 16 yr old son. It has the bayonet groove on stock. I am looking for a PU and a M44, that would be a nice little collection for me. Any other Mosin guys on Olympic Peninsula who like to go out shootin? Unemplyed right now, so no extra $$ for stuff right now. :-(
Welcome to the board Eddie, there is a lot of history stuffed into these rifles, every time I turn on the Military Channel and they are running something about Kursk, Berlin, or Stalingrad I have to wonder if one of mine was there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rjmt wrote:Greeting, I'm a new member
My son wanted a Mosin 91/30 for his birthday - found a pristine condition 1930 Izhevsk Mosin 91/30 in a little logging town in Washington state
still has brass end caps on the upper handguard - all matching numbers
as we cleaned it up, I caught Mosinitis
after months of searching, I found a '32 Izhevsk hex reciever 91/30 for myself
It has all matching numbers and a finger splice stock
at some point - will post photos
Welcome to the board :vcool: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
gatling

Post by gatling »

Hey, I'm Joe, and I enjoy shooting and reloading ammo for my Mosin Nagant.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

gatling wrote:Hey, I'm Joe, and I enjoy shooting and reloading ammo for my Mosin Nagant.
Hello Joe, welcome to the board. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt