Is the SKS sufficient enough for rural survival?

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Simo

Re: Is the SKS sufficient enough for rural survival?

Post by Simo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:What are the Chinese ones going for these days? Last I looked they were near $300, the days of $79 Chinese Norinko SKS's are long over.
they average $250 sold price on auction sites.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

When you compare the prices on Chinese, Soviet, Romanian & Yugoslavian SKS rifles the Chinese variation is a real bargain in comparison these days. I've had many opportunities to buy a Yugo but have passed. I'm more than happy with my Chinese & Soviet examples.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Dang! You got Hogzilla's head there, LC :o
Call Monsterquest! :lol:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
fenceline

Post by fenceline »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:What are the Chinese ones going for these days? Last I looked they were near $300, the days of $79 Chinese Norinko SKS's are long over.
You enjoy your cheap Yugos and we'll enjoy our cheap Chinese rifles haha. One retailer up here will sell you one for $75 when you buy a crate of 1400 rounds of 7.62 surplus for about $250. And they are "aresenal grade" hehehehe.

:pointup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

pacanis wrote:Dang! You got Hogzilla's head there, LC :o
:D , That's an average one. You should see the big ones.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Eddystone06 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:The average person who is not law enforcement, or military, and will not be facing a hoard of zombies can get by just fine with a good .22 rifle. An SKS should be just fine.
we have quite a bear and coyote population here so a .22 is not good enough and for bear the 7.62x39 is a joke also but my main option is an SKS.
An SKS is not any joke to a Black Bear. That 154gr. SP has done a few in real quick. Just as well as a 30 30. They are basically the same. Keep your SKS!
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

pacanis wrote:Dang! You got Hogzilla's head there, LC :o
I don't know which I'd rather face the pig or the bear, that's a damn big pig :big shock: No, not MonsterQuest, they keep questing and find nothing and the dudes voice puts me to sleep :chuckles:

Regardless of the country of origin, and other than random issues with the Yugo gas system(which can be easily fixed), any good condition and maintained SKS would suffice. In their stock form, they can be almost as robust and durable as the AK and slightly more accurate. Adding plastic stocks, hi-cap mags and receiver cover scope mounts is were a great number of issues come from.

I'd say find one that speaks to you, and give it a go :thumbsup: My problem is a few of them have spoken to me :chuckles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
fenceline

Post by fenceline »

^^^^ AWESOME PIC ^^^^^
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fenceline wrote:
You enjoy your cheap Yugos and we'll enjoy our cheap Chinese rifles haha. One retailer up here will sell you one for $75 when you buy a crate of 1400 rounds of 7.62 surplus for about $250. And they are "aresenal grade" hehehehe.

:pointup:
I only have the one Yugo, brand new rifle, bought it six years ago and the cosmoline is still in it. I do have two Chinese SKS rifles, one is a Vietnam War bringhome, and the other a "para" conversion with AK mag, mag falls out every second shot, waste of a perfectly good Chinese military surplus SKS. I have a Soviet one as well, that is the one that gets shot on the rare occasions I bring it out.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

My advice for the OP is you have to make your selection of defensive or survival firearms based on what conditions you expect to encounter. I see folks prepare for everything from a temporary weather related breakdown to a full scale nuclear conflict and everything in between. The variables are endless.

I think an SKS in skilled hands is a well rounded rifle, but if I were expecting to harvest survival food, I would rather have a .22. If I were preparing to meet hoards invading from the big cities, I might want a bit more firepower.

I believe that the best preparation for civil disorder it to avoid it. Vote, vote smart, and if possible vote often. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:hitsfan: :hitsfan: :hitsfan: If it happens it's a high probability that you are f***'d no matter what you do, the chances of long term survival in a true collapse of social order situation are astronomically low. A Mosin 91/30 and a Marlin model 60 .22 use the extra money for a brick of .22 ammo. Forgot, you already have the Mosin, even less you have to spend.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

SA1911a1 wrote:and if possible vote often
Apparently it is possible. Here in washington the dead folks are still voting..all for the democrats too.. :vconfused: THe last 2 elections here are the most corrupt things i have ever seen. :roll:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

desdem12 wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote:and if possible vote often
Apparently it is possible. Here in washington the dead folks are still voting..all for the democrats too.. :vconfused: THe last 2 elections here are the most corrupt things i have ever seen. :roll:
Yea, well...I voted for Al Gore 18 times and see what it got me...... :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

SA1911a1 wrote:...I believe that the best preparation for civil disorder it to avoid it. Vote, vote smart, and if possible vote often. :D
Junk Yard Dog wrote:If it happens it's a high probability that you are f***'d no matter what you do, the chances of long term survival in a true collapse of social order situation are astronomically low....
This is what I tell people all the time. The best survival strategy is to not need to survive. The second best strategy is to know your neighbors well, and get along with them as a true functioning neighborhood that sticks together as a cohesive unit in face of adversity. You cannot make it as a lone wolf.

If you live in a rural area, and all the neighbors within say 5 miles actually form a reasonable social bond then you'll have a fighting change in case of true social collapse. The larger your community of collaborators the better you prospects of success.

What was that movie a couple of years ago with Daniel Craig about the fighting the Nazis in WWII?
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

That's it. That is the ultimate SHTF scenario. And they survive because it is a community.

The lone wolf doesn't make it. People are not tigers. Even real wolves don't make it alone. They live in packs, just like people. Why do you think people and dogs clicked so well?

If you're making your bug out plan then your bug out plan darn well better include the neighborhood. You need them.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am sure my bugout plan will start with a sudden flash one fine day, and just enough time to say OH FU.........before the shock wave hits.
Theodore Roosevelt
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

My :2cents: ,
IMHO, any SKS has the load-speed advantage over a Win 94 :thumbsup: AE 30-30 (they are a pain to reload under time pressure). The safe hitting range is about the same, the effect on hit depends a bit on the kind of ammo used. Under same ammo conditions like FMJ I would prefer the SKS as referred to speed of loading and thus multi stopping power to get the job done.
However, for a bear or a razorback I would not start war with either two guns, if there were no higher calibre backup available (depending also how hungry my family is :wink: ) My 91/30 43 Tula with some Barnaul hunting ammo would be a better choice at 7.62X54r and 174 grain softnose or HP, I would even risk it with MFJ.

I have chickens, goats, dogs and cats and no matter how often I mark "my territory", it wears of in about a week and I have the cojotes and bobcats roaming outside my 6 foot chainlink fence. Last week my neighbor 2 properties over with her horses, goats,chickens and her kennell dogs had a mountain lion outside her fence, that would not go away until she put some .22s in the sand in front of it. She does not have anything else, so she was preparing to phone me to come over with a rifle. She would have been lucky, because I was off work.
By all means, she needs something like an SKS, too. Which would take me like 500 rounds and half a year of training.... :biggrin:

Anyway, if somebody likes the SKS like I do, is aware of the real capabilities, wants an affordable semi and is willing to hoard some hunting ammo as well as the cheap MFJ (Walmart at $4.97 for 20 with no S/H costs) from Tulammo (Ishevsk Ammo Factory)....well, then I have to say it is the gun of your choice....cheapest works fine, too. It covers a hit range from easy 50 yards up to 200 yards. Do not expect less than 2x2 feet at 250, at precision shooting conditions.
So, 'nuff said , to give you a safe 150 yard perimeter around your house, expandable to 250 relying on conditions, the SKS will do just this, because it was designed to suppress in the near to medium range. :pointleft: :thumbsup:
......and do not believe the stories of a "Yugo SKS" being a lesser gun because not chrome lined in the barrel....these people just do not want to clean their rifles right after use, as I got used to in the Army (this also applies to :"corrosive" ammo kills the bore :roll: ) :)

Have a happy Mosin/SKS dream tonight :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: , they are girls, too :biggrin:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

mrb7 wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote:...I believe that the best preparation for civil disorder it to avoid it. Vote, vote smart, and if possible vote often. :D
Junk Yard Dog wrote:If it happens it's a high probability that you are f***'d no matter what you do, the chances of long term survival in a true collapse of social order situation are astronomically low....
This is what I tell people all the time. The best survival strategy is to not need to survive. The second best strategy is to know your neighbors well, and get along with them as a true functioning neighborhood that sticks together as a cohesive unit in face of adversity. You cannot make it as a lone wolf.

If you live in a rural area, and all the neighbors within say 5 miles actually form a reasonable social bond then you'll have a fighting change in case of true social collapse. The larger your community of collaborators the better you prospects of success.

What was that movie a couple of years ago with Daniel Craig about the fighting the Nazis in WWII?
I'm no expert but I would think an SKS in cabable hands could do most anything you need it to. Fine all around weapon. Dependable, powerful, accurate and easy to maintain. Like Steve suggested the 154gr SP is a bruiser of a round and shouldn't be underestimated.

I found this on a forum last year and though it was interesting. Food for thought.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest- ... y-building
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Did you notice the rifles are either left handed mausers or the film is being run reversed? 18 seconds into the preview.