TISAS 1911

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Re: TSAIS 1911

Post by SA1911a1 »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:47 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:29 am
tjtM38 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:07 am
What about adding to Condition 2: Hammer in half cock. It would be adding another safety wouldn't it, and know your gonna cock it anyway.
I guess you could modify the condition in that way, but trusting a hammer notch as a safety is not something I have ever been willing to do.
Is it less safe that having the hammer down on a round ? Seems more safe to me. The real reason for me is it's easier to cock when you draw. For my thumb it's a long reach to fully cock it.
[/quote]

It is whatever you are most comfortable with. Some people won't carry with a round chambered. I am happy just depending on the manual safety, the grip safety and finger off the trigger. If you have the manual safety on, and at half cock, that means you have to cock the hammer and release the safety, not that much time, but it complicates it a bit, two tasks to do with one thumb; one more thing to flub in a jam.

Most people that carry the 1911 will carry it cocked and locked. What makes me feel strange is carrying the SIG with no manual safety, but I am trying to get over it.
[/quote]
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Re: TISAS 1911

Post by steelbuttplate »

I really don't plan on carrying this, but I wouldn't use the thumb safety, and just half cock in the holster, and you still have the grip safety. There is a BIG difference in drawing, cocking from half cock, and drawing with hammer down. Try it and you'll see what I mean. I'm not sure I'd get it cocked quick if needed to, but it's easy done if half cocked.
I just read a NRA article on this subject, saying the two reasons not to carry half cocked :1. It is dangerous to put a loaded cocked gun in half cock. He's not shittin about that so do it safely. 2. The Hammer has enough energy from half cock to fire the round. :vconfused: I can't make mine fire if it's half cocked the trigger is blocked ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

From an article on the 1911: Browning was the master of redundancy and designing one part to perform two or more functions, and he always had a backup system in place. In this case, the backup was the short, almost instantaneous sear reset and the half cock notch which serves the dual purpose of manual safety and hammer arrest in case it slips off the full cock notch, or the hammer hooks both break at the same time.
Browning's first design had no thumb safety, that was added at the request of the Army, so cavalry could ride with their pistol cocked and locked , keep one hand on the reigns, and draw pistol and fire one handed.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Of course with a revolver you just pull it out and pull the trigger to go to work, the 1911 is fairly idiot proof for an auto loader. The main safety is between the ears, if that safety is broken due to natural idiocy, or non existent due to chemical dependency's then it doesn't really matter what's on the pistol itself.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt