Pre Range Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Almost_Samurai

Re: Pre Range Question

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Fledge wrote:Let us know how your range trip goes
As soon as I am cleared by the experts here I plan to take plenty of pictures and video.
I am very impressed with the help I am getting on safety and procedure. I've never owned a Mosin, let alone a 124 year old one. This has been quite the learning curve. I appreciate all the tips, hints, tricks and concern. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

"If You're gonna be dumb, you better be tough"

I'm not that tough....
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

steelbuttplate wrote:Shoot 2 rounds thru it and then look at the bore. Prepare to be amazed. :2cents: Mucho fino ammo can !
I bought the Mosin for $150.... a week later the seller told me he found the rest of my purchase. Just so happened to be the can, loaded to brim with Ammo. I can't complain :shifty:
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Almost_Samurai wrote:Alright, I ordered the head space gauge. To quote a fellow shipmate "I'm new! I'm New! I don't know what to do!!" :lol:
Although it was already checked, it wasn't by me and I better double down... The range will have to wait a bit longer but I may live a bit longer as well :wink:

I don't know how you can collect more than one of these things with all the detail/time/effort that goes into range time with one :beek:
We still don't know what you have. An 1894 ??? what else ??
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

steelbuttplate wrote:We still don't know what you have. An 1894 ??? what else ??
I have the 1894 Sestroryetsk on the Chatellerault receiver. I have a couple threads on it.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

The chamber color difference has me baffled too... like an insert was put in. Normal?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Almost_Samurai wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Then you cock the unloded rifle, and drop it on it's buttplate down on something like a piece of wood that will not mar the metal. The idea here is to see if the shock of dropping onto the plate from 4-6" is enough to get the sear to release, it shouldn't be.
Thank you for this detailed explanation.... Option 2 sounds like something you'd see in an old cartoon :chuckles:

I highlighted your comment, I understand cocking the unloaded rifle and dropping it but what is the Sear??

You mean dropping it from that height to make sure it doesn't actuate the firing pin??
That is actually how we did it around here 35 years ago before the internet existed to make finding, or even knowing what a headspace gauge is. I learned the technique from the old time collectors who would test fire muskets and early cartridge rifles like that. Mosin books call the sear a " bolt stop" it is what holds the cocked bolt back under pressure until the trigger slides it down enough for the bolt to slam forward on the primer. If you plan to fire the rifle on a regular basis it's a good idea to check the headspace at least one a year, more often if you are shooting it every week a few hundred rounds at a time.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I learned the technique from the old time collectors who would test fire muskets and early cartridge rifles like that.
Thanks JYD!
My Great Grandfather lost his eye to a hammer and a nail so I shouldn't test my luck...
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

So I received my Dummy rounds today, Finally.

Headspace = GO

Firing Pin Protrusion / Strike = GO

Round Cycling = GO

Barrel = GO

VIDEO - She cycles nicely, you just gotta man handle them old Russian girls (Still working on technique)

Heading to the Range tomorrow. I'm VERY excited. Brothers going to tag along with me.
Anything else I am missing? I feel I've checked about everything I can with the guidance I've received here. Thanks again!!
I'll bring back some pics and footage.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Take your cleaning kit to the range, in case you get there and have a sticky bolt when she heats up . been there, didn't have a kit. :facepalm1:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Bet you it'll kill tree stumps at 200 yards.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

The suspense is killing me. Take it to the range already!! :lol:
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

She fired beautifully. Fairly accurate as well. (Here ya go Fledge! :lol: )

First Shot - Single

At this point I tested the sear and dropped rifle from about 6" onto a block of wood and firing pin did not release. After that I loaded a couple more rounds.

2 Shots after Sear test
After the second shot I noticed the front barrel band sliding out of position. I think I need a shim in place being the gap is closed. The band does have holes for screws to secure but I do not have them.

The range I had available today was only 50 yards. I feel I did pretty well for first time and iron sights. I was pink, brother is green.

After firing the last round I took a look at the casing and noticed a split. Is this an issue?

And took a couple before we wrapped up......

Overall I was very impressed with my Mosin, Shoots just as well and smooth as a modern firearm. Amazing.

Got home and cleaned her up and realized how much smoother and better the bore looked. All she needed.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

What is the date on the split cases ?
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

steelbuttplate wrote:What is the date on the split cases ?

What is that? 1978?
This was the only split case I found. The rest were good and I did not have any misfires.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Looks like Chinese 78. If you don't have any neck swelling or cases sticking you should be ok. Try it on a bench rest with a good sandbag. I think you can get 2 " groups out of it. Your barrel bed may be scorched near the muzzle, you can lay a little stretched out steel wool in there and tighten up the front band. :2cents:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I gotta say, you wrung that girl out proper, snow on the ground and all. Don't worry too much about the split cases, my SVT 40 splits the all the time.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very Nice
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

A few of you commented on the condition of my barrel before I took it out. I figured I'd give you an update!

After 30 rounds and second cleaning...

She's still got a bit in there but the bore has made a huge improvement. I'm very impressed.
I also added some thin cork board pieces under the front and back barrel bands. I noticed every 3-5 shots they want to walk out of place.
retpsp

Post by retpsp »

This is one reason I joined here. Purchased an M44 (1947). At first long look everything was looking good. At home began to break it down (first time down the Mosin road). So, that's how the bolt comes apart? Reportedly the previous owner never shot corrosive ammo...well? It looks like it sure had some shot through it along with not removing all the cosmoline. A lot of scrubbing, prodding and wiping and the rifle is looking much better. Still working on the fuzzy barrel. Had it borescope and the gunsmith said it looks like "swiss cheese" with some of the lands showing ware. Accuracy would be a problem, move closer to target. Once I am happy with what I can do I will take it to my regular gunsmith, along with he 3 headspace gauges I bought for his "safe to shoot" evaluation. We will see wher this adventure takes me.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If you have the gages check it yourself. It is easy. If there are no barrel bulges, or any cracks anywhere, you should be good to go. The barrel will look better after you shoot it and clean it again. Don't be afraid of corrosive ammo either. Clean it properly (just one extra step) and it is good.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis