1938 91/30 round receiver Izhevsk trouble maker

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1938 91/30 round receiver Izhevsk trouble maker

Post by Longcolt44 »

FR0STY54R wrote:You mentioned some mosins needing tweaking. How exactly does one go about tweaking the interrupter and magazine to stop the rifle from jamming.. I've tried almost everything and still cant get the rifles to feed reliably with clips.
Your problem may be with the way you are loading the strippers. If not loaded correctly they will jam every time. They should look like this....
Mosin stripper loading.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have not used stripper clips in 10 or 20 years! Not that. Bill :wink:
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Does it act up when feeding from the magazine or when placing loose rounds in the chamber and closing the bolt, or both? Take the bolt out, place a round on the face of the bolt, under the extractor claw. Does the round stay in place? If not, the extractor is suspect. The Mosin is a "controlled feed" system like the Mauser and sometimes if you're single-loading, but not from the magazine, the extractor will not completely snap over the rim of the cartridge, especially if the chamber is a little deep.
Also, the inside edge of the lip surrounding the bolt face is sometimes (more often than not) pretty sharp and can hinder feeding which in turn can hinder extraction. Take some fine emery or a small half-round file and put a small radius on the afore mentioned edge. It may not fix the problem but it surely won't cause any harm. No harm in trying.
Jon
Last edited by musketjon on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If the interrupter spring is too tight it can cause a Jam when the round is starting into the chamber. IF your having rim lock, the top round is getting it's rim hung up behind the round under it.
Loading with a stripper, you have to get the 1st round, the one you push with, out in front of #2. The back of the magazine is curved slightly and stacks the others correctly as they move up :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Take it to a gunsmith. You should not be firing a defective firearm. God Bless America
Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

racerguy00 wrote:If you haven't yet try loosening up the action screws before opening the bolt. I had one doing something similar and I noticed by accident if the screws.were loose it functioned. I think mine had been shimmed and they were lost at some point. It was binding something up when tightened without any.
Swap stocks and try. Stock might be causing the receiver to be slightly out of spec.

Sounds like might be oversized chamber as well.

Pahtu.
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Maine 20th wrote:Take it to a gunsmith. You should not be firing a defective firearm. God Bless America

:lol: Bill and I have worked on 100's, if not 1000's of mosins, and fixed every problem imaginable, I can safely bet we know more about a mosin than any gunsmith here in WV, hell I might go as far and say some soviet armorers if they were still alive. The rifle is not defective, it just has a minor problem :thumbsup:

Trust me I have sorted tons of chinese made pistols and rifles, I know what defective is!!! :chuckles:

I don't think bill has messed with the rifle in a while. Really should take a video of the problem and post it!
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Joe basically said it. A gunsmith most times I have had to deal with them is way behind where we are coming from and with the experience we have had, myself over 25 years with mostly Mosins. While I appreciate the input of course, read and try to absorb all the things we have done to this rifle and you will see one way or the other we have covered all of the above thoughts about fixing this thing. I have had the rifle in a refurbished stock and tried it too by the way, same problem occurs. Again it will feed and fire the first round and the bolt arm will return easily to the vertical but then you need a rubber hammer to remove the shell with great force. There are no signs of trauma on the shell from the chamber nor are there any marks on the shell except where the extractor is trying to hold onto the shell when you hit the bolt arm with the rubber hammer. Without firing the rifle the shells will freely enter and extract from the rifle chamber.
To a beginner it is easy to tell them to go to a gunsmith when you try and act responsibly to fix one of their problems but this is not the first rodeo for us here and this rifle has really frustrated us and taken way too much time from our days. I have truthfully never been stumped before this and I do not know the answer here. But before you have a quick answer please time the time to read the whole post and then give us a thought and we will try it believe me! I have purposely hidden this rifle in a pile to keep it out of sight and out of mind, Next step is out the door into the parts lies and I have never done that! :big shock: Bill
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

I had to laugh at this a little myself, I've been fortunate enough to be invited to Bill's home about 60 miles from me and now count him as one of my best friends. His shop looks like some type of Russian assembly line where he goes through each rifle making sure they're as safe as possible for the next owner or current owner. I even visited once taking several of mine up on the mountain for him to look over.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

TADA! I figured this sucker out the other day and it works great now! It took another rifle with sort of the same problem to guide me down the path to progress and then a lot of parts changing to give me the success I was looking for. I took the other rifle and tried to figure out what the two had in common. The gist of it was deeper and more sharp cuts in the cocking piece and a fatter and sharper camming lug on the bolt head. I traded those parts out and both rifles now work smooth and fire the way they should. Wasn't easy to do and if I had a lot less spare parts I may have never figured it out. Plus it rained like hell here all day yesterday and I had to change clothes after I was done plus add a couple of cups of hot tea in the answer. Ain't as tough as I once was and the dang blood thinners I am taking got me cold all the time so that rain and 37 degree temps got to me. I thought for a bit I might be beat here but the wealth of spare parts I have really did the job. Oh and Joe not being around and sticking me with that bayonet all the time was a help too. Just teasing Joe! Him being around and having that restless lets get going attitude of youth is the only reason anything gets done around here. Otherwise I would be 20 pounds heavier and nothing would get done!!! :lol: Now if I can get these dang docs going the right way my health would cooperate too. Oh well least I am still kicking! Bill ;mywink;