Looking for a new stock for mosin 91-30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: Looking for a new stock for mosin 91-30

Post by WeldonHunter »

Bufford wrote:I may get flamed for this but what the hell, he said he wasn't to sure about understanding our forum rules here and what we try to install in our values of this rifle, That is an admission of guilt and probably a reaching out to get to understand this forum better, Now with that said, you should ALL be ashamed of the way you treated him with his request even though IT isn't what we are about. NOT all of us and that includes me and everyone else here know it all and think our crap doesn't stink, if you don't like this little bit of information into what you did to a new member well look forward to turning away more in the future, I am new here myself but I sure did not expect that there are some members who think they are superior to others and have the right to SLAM others before actually helping them, enough said!
Though I tend to agree with you Bufford, this is a touchy subject at best even if the changes aren't permanent. He said he wanted to "restore" the rifle. Not what this board is about. Then when he responded about the rules it sure looks like they don't seem to matter to him anyway. This place isn't a democracy when it comes to the rules. They're not guidelines and fairly simple. No permanent alterations. His own statement dismisses this almost completely. I think he had his mind made up already and by saying it's his rifle to do what he wants and quoting pink floyd "we don't need no thought control" seems to cement that. He's right he can do whatever he wants with his rifle. Just don't ask how to do it here if restoring a rifle means destroying one that's not already destroyed. That seems to be what he was going for. I don't know for sure.

"My english is not good. I understand the languague but is dificult to me to learn all the rules.
I'm sorry...
in my country I have the power to decide about my things. I think I live in a free democracy and I want a new wood stock.

Who are you to decide about my thoughts?
You can do with your rifle that you want.

Pink floyd sang.........we don't need no thought control......

Thanks a lot for your time.
Regards"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Being a member here is to abide by the rules and regulations we set forth. This forum is about the preservation of historic firearms.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

It's easy enough to think a innocent change doesn't lead to bubbahood but once you start down that road, where does it end? I guess if I were to quote Floyd on the subject (saw them in '92 at Carter Finley stadium in Raleigh, best show I've ever seen)...

"One slip and down the hole we fall
It seems to take no time at all
A momentary lapse of reason
That binds a life for life
A small regret, you won't forget
There'll be no sleep in here tonight"
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
JER

Post by JER »

patximarin, you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. There are many Forums that discuss altering their pieces of history for whatever reason... AND they're free to do so....go and see what they're all about, just not here. The rules of this Board are what they are. Nothing to do with your National freedoms. Google will translate for you easy, if you have the patience, and willingness to understand...
sapishka

Post by sapishka »

Im new here too ,and while it may have been harsh sounding to you ,the gentlemen said its his rifle ,he can do what he wants ,went on with the its a free country business etc etc , which is fine ...however ,I DID READ ALL THE FORUM RULES IN FULL WHICH IS CLEARLY ADVISED TO ALL NEW MEMBERS BEFORE ACKNOWLEDGING TO REGISTER HERE . HE DID NOT MOST LIKELY AND EVERYONE SHOULD : any attempt to change or otherwise deter from ,or alter any original parts ,make changes ,even restorations , modifications or straying from preservation ,including fake sniper rifles and reproductions as well is not allowed ,and it is the right of this forum to have these rules enforced at all times to keep the purity of the ideals of this type of format . The modification rifle forums are many and can be found on another venue . The RULES OF THIS FORUM ARE QUITE CLEAR AND ARE NOT TO BE MISCONSTRUDE FOR ONES OWN PURPOUSE .I do not feel superior to anyone here or anywhere else for that matter nor did I see this happening (maybe a little snarky by webterz ) but really just the opposite seemed to be the argument .same exact thing is not allowed on the CMP FORUMS GARAND/ M1 CARBINE . QUITE FRANKLY THE RULES ARE QUITE STRINGENT ! but that's how it is here ,and that's just the way it is ,no modifying no alteration no new stock new parts no rebluing ...RULES APPLY .

SAPISHKA
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

sapishka wrote:Im new here too ,and while it may have been harsh sounding to you ,the gentlemen said its his rifle ,he can do what he wants ,went on with the its a free country business etc etc , which is fine ...however ,I DID READ ALL THE FORUM RULES IN FULL WHICH IS CLEARLY ADVISED TO ALL NEW MEMBERS BEFORE ACKNOWLEDGING TO REGISTER HERE . HE DID NOT MOST LIKELY AND EVERYONE SHOULD : any attempt to change or otherwise deter from ,or alter any original parts ,make changes ,even restorations , modifications or straying from preservation ,including fake sniper rifles and reproductions as well is not allowed ,and it is the right of this forum to have these rules enforced at all times to keep the purity of the ideals of this type of format . The modification rifle forums are many and can be found on another venue . The RULES OF THIS FORUM ARE QUITE CLEAR AND ARE NOT TO BE MISCONSTRUDE FOR ONES OWN PURPOUSE .I do not feel superior to anyone here or anywhere else for that matter nor did I see this happening (maybe a little snarky by webterz ) but really just the opposite seemed to be the argument .same exact thing is not allowed on the CMP FORUMS GARAND/ M1 CARBINE . QUITE FRANKLY THE RULES ARE QUITE STRINGENT ! but that's how it is here ,and that's just the way it is ,no modifying no alteration no new stock new parts no rebluing ...RULES APPLY .

SAPISHKA
Sap some of us have been at this many years on this forum and others way longer from the old forum and it's frustrating to see this constantly. You saw that frustration come out. Actually there's many posts on here about switching to an alternate stock, like maybe an Archangle or even a spare OE stock and it's allowed but with the understanding it's being done temporarily for reasons of preserving the original. Some guys like to hunt with these rifles or simply want a stock that the rifle can be used in at the range and not beat up the original. It's not a permanent alteration and as much as it's still hard to take it's tolerated. This guy was not doing that. He used the word restore a bunch of times along with new replacement parts. From what I see he had no intention of putting the rifle back the way it was. That was picked up on early on in this thread by these guys. I'm glad you get it. Good to have you here.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

It is amazing to me having been around so many forums for many years now how people show up constantly year after year and try to get information and act like they don't understand or care what rules are and then get highly insulted when they are read the riot act or asked to cease and desist. My patients have been worn thin in the past by this occurring over and over year after year but it continues. If nothing else it has shown me this internet is almost without boundaries and surely is world wide. We all kind of expect the entire world to read and understand English but many of us speak only one language and this is it. I get thoroughly upset with not being able to read Finnish or German and finding no English written versions of books I cherish to learn the contents of. Yet I am not trying to learn to read either language under the guise of being too dang old to learn something new at my advanced age. Honestly speaking I am just being too lazy to make the effort to learn these other languages. So maybe he didn't understand the rules which is an explanation we often hear, but I surely suspect it is they are too lazy to read the rules.

Some people here and other places in the world think they are above the rules and will try and install their values saying the usual it is my rifle and I will do what I want with it. Indeed I have been accused more than once of trying to make everyone do it my way but really I don't care how you do things and my main motivation is to try and keep people from making the many costly mistakes in life I have made. The answer for this one is simple yes it is your rifle and your way but you can't do it here because there are rules about it here and if you stay you are expected to follow them. Myself I get upset about anything that hides under the guise of temporary mainly because I know what has transpired in my own life and unfortunately become permanent more or less. This is just an extension of human nature and Maybe Murphy's Law.

yeah I guess we may have jumped on the poor fellow a bit but many of us are sick of trying to be nice about things after 40+ years of doing it. That too is human nature so cut us some slack too! Bill ;mywink;
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

New guys gettin all riled up in hurr. Rules is rules fellas. That should be enough.
dmoore714

Post by dmoore714 »

I'm with Buford. Belittling a new member for not understanding the depth and breadth of the rules is a dick move. This may not be the forum for him... but you dont need to shame and insult him into that conclusion. Thats not exactly the best way to win people over to the cause either.

Also, the rules state no discussion about permanent modification of the guns. Last I checked... Changing a stock wasn't permanent. It even says the addition of a scope mount is acceptable. Hammering out pins in the site block is far more invasive than removing two screws to swap out a stock... and as long as you keep the old stock its still reversible.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I was unaware that we had that many rules here, all we really ask is that the alterations stuff and permanent mod's, what some call "bubba" be left off the board, there are other places on the net for that. I don't presume to tell anyone what they can or can't do with their own property, that's none of my business, I only ask that they leave off discussing it here if it involves alterations to antiques. Swapping out a stock is not a permanent alteration so long as the original is preserved to be put back on at some later date. I was unaware that new original style stocks were being made for the Mosin. I was somewhat surprised that a Member from Spain would want a Mosin, I have known some people from Spain who harbored very negative feelings about their country's civil war period and wouldn't have wanted anything that reminded them of that time. Perhaps the OP was born after that era and the memory's aren't so raw.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

+1