new to MN's and barrel swelling ??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: new to MN's and barrel swelling ??

Post by Darryl »

I won't swear but.....

It looks like a machining error back during when it was made to me.
Notice the change of the machining marks exactly where the "bulge" is?

Looks like poor machining to me (which would be typical and nothing to worry about).

Dolk

Send it to me (with a case of ammo) and I'll shoot it for you to test out! ;mywink; I'm not as old as some of these guys around here, but old enough that if it kills me, it wouldn't be that big of loss! :chuckles:

Dolk
docbob

Post by docbob »

2kpounders,
Does that name refer to 2000 lb bombs? Welcome to the forum.
I have a 1941 Izhevsk that was obviously made after the German Invasion as it's quite rough on the outside and has the various shortcuts compared to a prewar rifle. The barrel has a "bulge" in the same area as yours but the bore is very good and doesn't show any sign of an actual bulge. Usually a real bulge will show a shadow ring in the bore where it's located. I wouldn't be concerned about it and would see how the rifle shoots.
2kpounders

Post by 2kpounders »

yes dolk you highlighted the area I am referring to where the swelling is. i appreciate the offer for me to send it to you (along with ammo of course) to shoot but I got a high schooler aching to shoot it for me here, just being overly cautious i guess.
2kpounders

Post by 2kpounders »

one finger john wrote:Is there a machined in taper in the barrel from receiver out to the crown? A thousand or two at the receiver then down to factory specs at the tip. (Hope I explained myself properly).

John
there is what i would call a stepped down spot just outside the receiver yes, but its nowhere near the area highlighted with what i called the bulge.
2kpounders

Post by 2kpounders »

rdmadison wrote:There's no doubt from your photos that the barrel is of a wider diameter there. But unless it's a digital artifact, the bulge looks stepped. That's the result of turning, not swelling. Every time I look down a bore I "think" I see irregularities. Get one of those bore lights so you're not just reacting to dirt, rust, or uneven sunlight. Turn the barrel as you shine the light down it. None of my Mosins are shiny inside, so I can't go by irregularities in the reflection the way you can with a shotgun barrel.
shinning the light down the bore doesn't appear to show any discolored rings anywhere. like you said it sure doesn't look the way a shotgun does where irregularities are more easily spotted.
2kpounders

Post by 2kpounders »

[quote="docbob"]2kpounders,
Does that name refer to 2000 lb bombs? Welcome to the forum.

i played a lot of slow and fast pitch softball in and for the U.S. Air Force years ago. 2kpounders was one of my post Air Force career teams. we named it 2kpounders as a combination of "hitting bombs" (long home runs) and the fact that we were no longer in fighting shape and the starting lineup's combined weight was well over 2000 pounds.

so yes its a play on the bombs called 2kpounders
2kpounders

Post by 2kpounders »

It appears that my pics are either way to large in pixel or poor quality. bare with me, i'll figure it out for future pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Ok, now assemble that sucker, blindfolded, in 2 minutes or less.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."