What turned you on to these rifles?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What turned you on to these rifles?

Post by Jumperwire »

I was also looking for a hobby. My wife had expressed her disgust of my video game playing. Madden and Sniper Elite were my two favorites. She did not like seeing a grown man playing games :?: :?: On many occasions I say "OH I'm having fun and that's not allowed" :lol: :lol: so that also aided in my addiction to historical firearms. I often remind her, when she asks me how much I have spent, "That PS3 is sure looking like a good idea now, eh" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RTFM

What turned you on to these rifles?

Post by RTFM »

They are an inexpensive piece of history, and it's fun to watch people shoot one for the first time.
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

I have to admit that price motivated me to buy my first Mosin. If you think about it, there is really no other high-powered rifle that even comes close to being as affordable as a Mosin.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Ever since I saw "Enemy at the Gates" in 2001, I wanted one of these rifles. About a year ago, one of the local gun shops started stocking some nice M91/30s imported through Liberty Arms. I bought two, one 1921 Izhevsk ex-dragoon hex receiver and one 1940 Tula round. Intending just to collect them at first, I found them a ton of fun and inexpensive to shoot. I've acquired two carbines, M44 and M38, since that first purchase in Jan 2011. I'm not looking to acquire these guns in large numbers as some others do, but after shooting them and learning the history of "The Great Patriotic War," I have much more respect for them than I did previously.
Drago

Post by Drago »

Last year, my 11yr old son wanted a M38 or M44 for his birthday. I'm assuming he saw it in Call of Duty or some other game. He was pretty bored with my SKSinitis at that point, so I thought it might be kinda cool to have something different to shoot. I quickly located a M38 in great condition for an equally great price and presented it to my son. Previously, I'd never given Mosin's much of a hard glance, believing they were a more modern flint lock rifle. Boy was I mistaken! After that first trip to the range exactly 1 year ago today, I was pretty hooked. The week following our first range trip, I found an M44 for $125 for myself. That was 2 M44's and 3 91/30's ago, with a Finn 91 on it's way, as I speak. I'd have a LOT more, but my SKSinitis flared up even worse last year and left me with little coin to spend on Mosin's. This is a new year and a new mindset on firearm's accumulation....I love these things!
dubois9837

Post by dubois9837 »

At first, I had no intention of collecting these rifles. I shoot a lot. Usually 1 or 2 times a week and when the price of ammo started to skyrocket back in 2007, I started to have to cut out some of my trips to the range. I just couldn't afford to shoot that much at those prices. I started to reload, which helped quite a bit but was still expensive. Then one day I was looking around Dunhams sports and I noticed they had 440 round tins of ammo for $80. I asked the clerk what rifles were chambered for this caliber and he led me over to a rack that had an assortment of m44 and 91/30 rifles that they were selling for $69.99. That was the first time I ever heard of a mosin nagant or 7.62x54r. I purchased a 91/30 and a tin of ammo for it. Needless to say, it was the first of many more to come. It didn't take long after that and I had my C&R license. I love the history behind these rifles. :)
Russian 91/30 Izhevsk hex 1924 ex dragoon
Russian 91/30 Izhevsk hex 1933
Russian 91/30 Tula hex 1936
Russian 91/30 Tula 1942 Laminate
Russian 91/30 Izhevsk 1943
Russian 91/30 Izhevsk 1942 Laminate
Chinese T-53
M39 1942 VKT
Yugo M48
More to come.

\
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

RTFM wrote:They are an inexpensive piece of history, and it's fun to watch people shoot one for the first time.
Welcome to the forum, yes they are relatively inexpensive pieces of history to own if you stay away from the one of and exotic stuff. Cars are much more expensive, a nice refurbished Model A Ford will set you back $16,000- $40,000 depending on the model, then you have to maintain it, and that costs a hell of a lot more than a bottle of gun oil and a rag :lol: Collecting coins is cheap is you stick to common date pennies, but get into silver and gold and you will be spending serious money for something you shouldn't even touch much less play with. Makes the $400-$1000 Mauser K98 not seem so expensive by comparison.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gunsrtools

Post by gunsrtools »

1) History.
2) Function.
3) Beauty.
4) Value.
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome RTFM! :alien: :biggrin: ANd also welcome to Gunsrtools :alien:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
gunsrtools

Post by gunsrtools »

desdem12---Thanks. Happy to be here!
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I got my first Mosin Nagant rifle because the rifle and I had a lot in common. We are both cheap. I bought my second one because I liked the first one so much. By the time I bought my third one I found the ancestor to this forum and started lurking around. By my fifth, I was getting hooked on the history. Then I really fouled up and joined the forum. JYD recommended a book or two, which I read, and I got as strung out as a crack addict. Some crook here recommended I get a C&R license cause it would save my cheap ass some money. A couple of weeks will be my first anniversery participating on this forum and I now have over thirty of these rifles, with two more on the way. I think I might be coming down with Mosinitis.

My mamma warned me about hanging out with Yankees and other shady characters, but would I listen? Noooooooooooooo.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Alden

Post by Alden »

I have always liked the rifle above all other firearms. The first rifle I bought myself was a bolt action - Ruger M77 .270. Ever since then I think I have liked the bolt action best, mainly for its superior accuracy.

When I first saw a Mosin-Nagant I thought it was a cheap POS.

I have since learned other wise.

The fact that one can buy such a fine rifle for so little money, and with all that history, is amazing.
Some people are like slinkies....

They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

smacneighill

Post by smacneighill »

Well, for me, it all began 26 years ago. My dad heard Sears was selling Mosin's and SKS's. He loaded my brother and I up in the car, and we headed out to Sears. We came home, each with an M91 and an SKS. I still have it today (actually, I still have both). I was lucky enough to get a 1915 Tula "Peter the Great". Now, as for my interest in them, that didn't begin until I literally learned about the rifle's history, somewhere around 8 years ago. Well, obviously I love shooting . . and the majority of the time I end up going with my friends. Of course, they all poke fun at my "big, old gun" . . at least until I show them what she can do . . and the only response I usually get is :shock: :shock: :shock: . Now, most of my friends are buying them.

Personally, being a history freak (especially military history), I love the fact that I own a piece of history. IMHO, these are beautiful rifles. I'm an "old fashioned" kind of guy, when it comes to firearms (in essence, I love the older stuff, LOL). So, these rifles are a natural fit for me.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

I'd guess you could put me on the cheap bastard list. In reality it's all I can afford. I Love shooting and couldn't do so otherwise. Their symplicity reliability and their history is a major plus compaired to more modern expensive weapons. My first was an SKS paratrooper and recently added the MN. Patiently waiting for the next Milsurp import.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

sclinesr wrote:I'd guess you could put me on the cheap bastard list. In reality it's all I can afford. I Love shooting and couldn't do so otherwise. Their symplicity reliability and their history is a major plus compaired to more modern expensive weapons. My first was an SKS paratrooper and recently added the MN. Patiently waiting for the next Milsurp import.
You could afford to collect stamps, but collecting milsurps beats the hell out of that, you ever try to shoot a stamp? I did but it kept blowing off the target :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I had no interest in Military rifles when I got my first one 12 years ago. I was at Big5 with a friend while he looked for a .22 rifle for his kid. I walked out with a Polish M44 and a VZ24 Mauser, well after the waiting period (California). For years I knew nothing about them, that is until last year when I joined this forum. Now I find myself watching intently for soldiers carrying weapons in old war movies and trying to make out what they're carrying. I saw a PBS show the other night about the battle of Stalingrad. Wow! It was the most intense and deadly battle ever fought. Now when I see these films I think about the 11 Mosins I own and wonder if one of them was at that battle. So much history in these rifles. It's amazing. How can you not love these rifles? Or any other military rifle for that matter. They were the tools that shaped our future as well as the men and woman who carried them.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

I'm not anal-retentive enough to collect Garands or Mausers........... :brolleyes: :wink:
:toast:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Second childhood syndrom. (pos third) :bwink:
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
sclinesr wrote:I'd guess you could put me on the cheap bastard list. In reality it's all I can afford. I Love shooting and couldn't do so otherwise. Their symplicity reliability and their history is a major plus compaired to more modern expensive weapons. My first was an SKS paratrooper and recently added the MN. Patiently waiting for the next Milsurp import.
You could afford to collect stamps, but collecting milsurps beats the hell out of that, you ever try to shoot a stamp? I did but it kept blowing off the target :lol:
Nope just golf balls. :lol: Seriously I've loved shooting since my dad gave me a pellet rifle when I was 8. This way I get something I can afford and a bit of history as well.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
mark1616

Post by mark1616 »

I do not actually own one yet, but that will soon change. For me, the long barrel and the powerful round has been most appealing. The price of the ammunition is also a great attraction!
"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."
"But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?" The Scarecrow
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” – Rudyard Kipling
And He said to them, “...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." - Luke 22:36