1947 Izhevsk M91\30 - Laminate, Not an Ex-Sniper

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Lotema

Re: 1947 Izhevsk M91\30 - Laminate, Not an Ex-Sniper

Post by Lotema »

Miller Tyme wrote:Every 47 Mosin 91/30's I have seen have all started with the s/n prefix AA, while the snipers started with "yr" .
Mine has a s/n about 150 off from yours. Certainly are rare bird that needs to be in the Showcase. :thumbsup:
I'd be very curious as to the total number of standard 91\30's produced that year. Based on the standard ones all having a prefix of AA, it would stand to reason that there's at least 718 of them (at least based off of my higher serial #). There's not a whole lot of information available for the post war production runs, at least not that I've come across using my "Bing-Fu" and "Google-Kwan-Do".

I'd love to have it in the showcase as well but you beat me to it with your '47 M91\30! Guess I've got to find a '50 to put up there! Challenge Accepted!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Nothing wrong with having 2 of them in the showcase, especially one with a laminated stock. :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Miller Tyme wrote:Nothing wrong with having 2 of them in the showcase, especially one with a laminated stock.
I agree, very nice example. Ill cast the first yes vote. :clap:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Man Lotema, that is a very familiar story. I got my 50th birthday Jungle Carbine the exact same way. Here is what I keep noticing about this beautiful rifle of yours. Look at the effort that someone went to to attempt a good match on the toe splice grains! I mean that is the closest I have seen on one of these. I agree too. You should submit this one to the showcase. Give old Rongo a holler.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

bunkysdad wrote:Man Lotema, that is a very familiar story. I got my 50th birthday Jungle Carbine the exact same way. Here is what I keep noticing about this beautiful rifle of yours. Look at the effort that someone went to to attempt a good match on the toe splice grains! I mean that is the closest I have seen on one of these. I agree too. You should submit this one to the showcase. Give old Rongo a holler.
Thanks bunkysdad, I pinged Rongo about that earlier and he gave his blessing for showcase submission. I re-wrote this thread a bit so it's more focused on the rifle and less about how I got the rifle. Seemed more appropriate for the showcase, though I left a link to this thread in the submission thread.

I totally agree with you about that splice too. I was thinking the same thing when I was looking this rifle over and wondering how intentional they were with trying to line those up because on the left side especially, they did a pretty dang good job of it!
Lotema
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Now you need a 47 PU to go with it. ;mywink;
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

A very nice rifle but I must say a better Wife! congrats on both!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Lotema wrote:
desdem12 wrote:Holy moly what a rifle... :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
Thanks desdem. One of these days we'll have to meet up on one side of the Cascades or the other. You guy's got some much longer distances ranges on your side of the hills than we do over here. Maybe get all the Washingtonians together for a RMNF shoot event or something.
:pointup: +1 Let's do this!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Titanium Hammer wrote:
Lotema wrote:
desdem12 wrote:Holy moly what a rifle... :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
Thanks desdem. One of these days we'll have to meet up on one side of the Cascades or the other. You guy's got some much longer distances ranges on your side of the hills than we do over here. Maybe get all the Washingtonians together for a RMNF shoot event or something.
:pointup: +1 Let's do this!
Lt Murray range, Mosin's at 1000 yards... Last one to hit paper has to buy dinner!
Lotema
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Very scarce and desirable rifle.

And to think, there are drooling moron Bubba's out there who would take this rifle, chop the barrel down, add a crappy ATI bolt handle and scope mount with a big cheap scope, and drop it into one of those hideous "Archangel" plastic dildo stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens shove up each other's ....well, you know what.