My kyber pass Lee and 1939 Ishy wire wrapped SMLE Mk III*

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
mosinmike17

Re: My 1914 Long Lee and 1939 Ishy wire wrapped SMLE Mk III*

Post by mosinmike17 »

Also JYD or any admin feel free to update the title calling it a kyber pass. And if you'd like to use this thread for anyone in the enfield market as to what to avoid feel free to sticky with a warning.
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I might look up a poppy and see if that isn't what it is and not a mum. :shock: :shock: I would have no idea of the price of this but lets say there are few of them around and they are troop bringbacks. It has one hell of a history line and is one of a kind. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You might give SOG a call and see what they might say as to trade or what have you if you are not comfortable with the price or rifle. It does have value of some kind I feel.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

British sporting rifles were not chambered in .303 cause that round was restricted. So they had a bunch of different chambers. I was looking around and some article mentioned that most kp rifles have the ER (Edward rex) on them which is what looks like this one has (is wrong) And not sure the commercial rifles would have the current (or past) rulers stamp. Should have british proofs if it was a commercial rifle. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
target

Re: My kyber pass Lee and 1939 Ishy wire wrapped SMLE Mk II

Post by target »

Regardless if a rifle is currently seeing action against US soldiers I would still shoot it. Deciding not to shoot a gun based on where the model is currently seeing action against our forces would render nearly every gun in my collection unshootable. Mosins, Mausers, Lee Enfields, SKS, Garands, M1 Carbines, etc.

I probably wouldn't shoot that KP rifle unless I had some powderpuff loads though. Neat wall hanger that's for sure.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: My kyber pass Lee and 1939 Ishy wire wrapped SMLE Mk II

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

target wrote:Regardless if a rifle is currently seeing action against US soldiers I would still shoot it. Deciding not to shoot a gun based on where the model is currently seeing action against our forces would render nearly every gun in my collection unshootable. Mosins, Mausers, Lee Enfields, SKS, Garands, M1 Carbines, etc.

I probably wouldn't shoot that KP rifle unless I had some powderpuff loads though. Neat wall hanger that's for sure.
The decision not to shoot this one has nothing to do with it's possible use against US forces, it likely had use against Soviet ones, not US, the issue is safety. These rifles are handmade using the most primitive of methods. The makers have skills, but these skills are better suited to black powder weapons rather than the pressures generated by modern smokeless powder cartridges. Nobody knows what sort of heat treatment this receiver had, and the Enfield receiver was never one of the strongest to begin with, it is a ticking time bomb that can let go at any time.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt