How Many Mosins in the US?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How Many Mosins in the US?

Post by bunkysdad »

The world may never know, but there are virtually none on the tables of the gun shows and shops I go to.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Who knows??? Does it really matter? Somewhere in the range of 3-8 million is my shot in the dark guess. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There have to be at least 1000-2000 just on this board alone.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

They must have imported something like 400 000 if not more from Finland alone. How many of those ex-Finnish Army ones lived through all those Bubbafication and Rooshin crappy $20 rifle- years in the past that's hard to say...
buddhaboy
Location: Illinios, so close to the cheddar curtain I can smell it when they cut the cheese

Post by buddhaboy »

It's funny you should ask. I have been gathering stats and info on this very subject for years.
Taking all the data I have, figuring in all the possible variables, not counting any data from any foreign countries ( the question is how many in the USA )
and using the latest computer programs the most accurate estimate is............................a very large s***house full.
I hope this answer is satisfactory. You are all welcome.

:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
James811

Post by James811 »

buddhaboy wrote:It's funny you should ask. I have been gathering stats and info on this very subject for years.
Taking all the data I have, figuring in all the possible variables, not counting any data from any foreign countries ( the question is how many in the USA )
and using the latest computer programs the most accurate estimate is............................a very large s***house full.

I can see how this took years for you to get that answer :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy if possible."
- Stonewall Jackson
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bugelson wrote:They must have imported something like 400 000 if not more from Finland alone. How many of those ex-Finnish Army ones lived through all those Bubbafication and Rooshin crappy $20 rifle- years in the past that's hard to say...
A very high percentage likely survive, they imported the rifles but it was some years before a good supply of cheap Russian ammo became available. I had an M28/30 for almost four years before firing it back then.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They also sold slow because they had the misfortune to come on the market at the same time as a massive influx of US weapons came available at low cost.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

James811 wrote:
buddhaboy wrote:It's funny you should ask. I have been gathering stats and info on this very subject for years.

I can see how this took years for you to get that answer :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
Yes. Very thorough & scientific. :pointleft:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Well, after years of intense records review, and contacting Stalin via a Quija board, I can confidently say the number of Mosins made is eleventy billion. That said, and myself owning several Mosins and loving them, I am a little bummed that real "American" rifles like Garand and M1 Carbine, M1A/M14 and ARs are so priced that they are out of my price range. I would love a Garand or two, or three...... But the cost per rifle, as well as ammo makes it cost prohibitive for me. Yes, I am late to the game, spending most of my cash in my early years on car stuff. But now I can buy 10 mosins and a tin or two of ammo for the price of one Garand. I have a mortgage, car payments, medical bills, daycare costs to pay. So, the Mosins being cheap to buy and shoot are my choice to collect. I think the Mosin may be the next generation rifle of the next revolution. The SKS got the knickname the "redneck rifle", and as a former redneck myself, I think it was a worthy rifle in the backwoods. So due to the explosion in people buying guns, the cost and availability of Mosins will make them the next American rifle. At least I still have 1 American Mosin, the Remington. :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Mosin is an American rifle, the Remington, and Westinghouse M91's were issued to US troops and used by them in combat.
Theodore Roosevelt