Prices going up?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
evildog

Re: Prices going up?

Post by evildog »

Well here's one more reason that prices could be going up and why surplus ammo from over seas is going up. http://beforeitsnews.com/international/ ... 56326.html

Stopped in a couple of shops in Missouri today and could only buy two 100ct's of any primers per day and only one 1lb of powder a day. Did find more 7.62x38r surplus at a good price and bought some but i don't see it slowing down anytime soon if the above article is true.... :angry4:
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

yeah I would think they want to ship as much as they can and as fast and at the best price they can get from us.. I also would't put it past our ruler to sign this executive order in a very sneaky fashion.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Everybody also needs to realize that this stuff is all in very limited supply, we have been using it up at an amazing rate for more than 20 years, the flow can't last. There are no factory's on the other end of the chain unless Molot cranks up the old machines to start producing brand new rifles if they aren't already. We are buying up the remnants of a war that ended nearly 70 years ago, you factor in 100 million gun owners in just the US, if only a fraction of that number wants a Mosin we are talking huge numbers of rifles to fill that need. How many have bought a Mosin in the last 15 years? A lot, just a glance at you tube shown countless numbers of new Mosin owners showing off their rifles. On this board and the old one I have seen thousands of " this is my new Mosin" posts. It's the most common Milsurp since the Arisaka just after WW2. Sooner or later, probably sooner the last dusty crate will be dragged out of the back of the cave, and that will be it legislation or no. Remember as well that we share the rifle supply with the rest of the world.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

As of this morning the board has 2005 members, lets assume each one of us has a Mosin, that's 2005 rifles right there on just this board. That isn't including all the other boards, or the huge majority of Mosin owners who belong to no board at all. Now we all know what Mosinitis is, so many of the 2005 members will have two or more Mosins, some might have 100 or more. 4010 Mosins, but more likely closer to 10,000 as I know how much crap some of you have stashed away from reading all the posts every day. 10,000 estimated just here with us. probably more, and we are only a small portion of Mosin owners . No way that level of supply can be maintained in the long term without production, and we aren't about new stuff here.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:As of this morning the board has 2005 members, lets assume each one of us has a Mosin, that's 2005 rifles right there on just this board. That isn't including all the other boards, or the huge majority of Mosin owners who belong to no board at all. Now we all know what Mosinitis is, so many of the 2005 members will have two or more Mosins, some might have 100 or more. 4010 Mosins, but more likely closer to 10,000 as I know how much crap some of you have stashed away from reading all the posts every day. 10,000 estimated just here with us. probably more, and we are only a small portion of Mosin owners . No way that level of supply can be maintained in the long term without production, and we aren't about new stuff here.
Are you trying to depress me JYD?? Lol... I hate that your right... :b sad: :b sad:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hey, at least we still have 10,000 Mosins to talk about once the supply of recent imports dries up :)
Theodore Roosevelt
buddhaboy
Location: Illinios, so close to the cheddar curtain I can smell it when they cut the cheese

Post by buddhaboy »

Well as others have stated the whole thing boils down to supply and demand. When the supply dries up for whatever reason the prices go up. Are the importers limiting the supply? Maybe.The oil companies do it all the time. They take 1 or 2 refineries off line "for maintanance" and we pay the price. Fair? No! The only thing we as consumers can do is not buy at those prices. That is not easy when you get Mosinitis so we have to remain strong or suck it up.
There is a plus to all this.............our collections also go up and those $100 investments can double that is if you can part with any of them. Until then invest wisely.
evildog

Post by evildog »

Other thing to watch for is all these "new" mosin owners that we see buying up mosins because they were cheap and they wanted a big boom stick that was also cheap to shoot. Once all that cheap ammo is harder to get or all but gone then they are not going to want to reload for it or pay the big price of commerical ammo to feed them. That's when we swoop in and pick them up at what they paid for them back when they were $99.

Just my :2cents:
FINNADDICT

Post by FINNADDICT »

zeebill wrote:What in life has not gone up? With the way our country is going the dollar will be second class toilet paper unless we wise up and start living within our means as a country. I think we should flush Washington down the toilet and start all over. Bill :x

YES!! Now all we need to do is to get everyone to make it happen!!! The US Dollar has become worthless. No one oversees wants it anymore like they use to.
TO WIN YOU NEED A FINN
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

evildog wrote:Other thing to watch for is all these "new" mosin owners that we see buying up mosins because they were cheap and they wanted a big boom stick that was also cheap to shoot. Once all that cheap ammo is harder to get or all but gone then they are not going to want to reload for it or pay the big price of commerical ammo to feed them. That's when we swoop in and pick them up at what they paid for them back when they were $99.

Just my :2cents:
I have great hopes for a bunch of Mosins walking in the door over the next few years because of these guys. Ammo? No problem!
Theodore Roosevelt
A_King89

Post by A_King89 »

Yeah i could NEVER part with any of my guns.. buy more .. definatly.. sell them.. NEVER :thumbsup:
I just REALLY need to start gettin into reloading..Ive never done it. I looked into some of the equipment but everything for that is sold out down here atm. Just bout as bad as the ammo. :vsad:
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

:1934 Tula 91/30:
:1944 Izhevsk M44:
evildog

Post by evildog »

A_King89 wrote:Yeah i could NEVER part with any of my guns.. buy more .. definatly.. sell them.. NEVER :thumbsup:
I just REALLY need to start gettin into reloading..Ive never done it. I looked into some of the equipment but everything for that is sold out down here atm. Just bout as bad as the ammo. :vsad:
Troll the back road gun shops, you would be amazed what you can find and i've been lucky that work takes me into Missouri alot and there seems to be only alittle shortage there. Besides i've seen lots of 7.62x54r dies in most shops. Presses are available but the big thing if your getting into it is primers. You can get the powder and equipment later but primers is a must....
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I'm wondering what the next milsurps will be. What do you think? We have pretty much run through the bolt action rifles, there are not a lot of reasonable semi-autos except for the SKS. I missed my chance for a M1 carbine, . They are just too expensive. I would spend that money on a nice P17. I suspect we will cycle down and the converted military stuff will drop a little. I predict $500 AK's will come back. However, What happens when the only things left are full auto-military rifles? Most pistols are still semi auto. Might start stocking up on Makarovs and Hi-Power clones.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Another thing that is going up (at least here in Maryland) is fees. I just paid a transfer fee for a pistol and a Maryland State Police fee for a background check and that went up from $50.00 the last time I did it to $85.00 today. They are adding more requirements and fees effective October 1st, 2013 so I guess anything else modern and regulated (Pistols and AR's and the like) that I want I'll be getting in the next couple of months.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

polymerase2 wrote:I'm wondering what the next milsurps will be. What do you think? We have pretty much run through the bolt action rifles, there are not a lot of reasonable semi-autos except for the SKS. I missed my chance for a M1 carbine, . They are just too expensive. I would spend that money on a nice P17. I suspect we will cycle down and the converted military stuff will drop a little. I predict $500 AK's will come back. However, What happens when the only things left are full auto-military rifles? Most pistols are still semi auto. Might start stocking up on Makarovs and Hi-Power clones.
What happens is the end of the gravy train, and it's happening right now, there are no large stockpiles of milsurps to import that can be imported.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It seems like the new normal is to trickle in just enough inventory to last a day or two, then they are out again. It's the same thing that's happening in the stores with ammo. I stopped by the local Academy Sports at lunchtime to check on ammo. They said you are too late. We got in some 9mm this morning but it is sold out. This is the kind of crap that just keeps feeding the insanity. It looks like the panic buying is just feeding the monster and keeping him alive.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Will they accept a prepay? Here's a C note, I want the next three or four boxes of 9mm that walk in the door.
Theodore Roosevelt
evildog

Post by evildog »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Will they accept a prepay? Here's a C note, I want the next three or four boxes of 9mm that walk in the door.

They might if you know the store owner of the gunshop....i doubt a big box store will unless you befriend some employees like i have at Dunhams to let you know when it's coming in or let you snoop in the backroom... :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Take the day off work and just sit there waiting like the people the day before Christmas lined up at the door to get the one available $60 50" LCD TV
Theodore Roosevelt
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

I realize that these Mosin are what they are. I'm just a little anal about knowing what condition each of my guns are in and was hoping for some guideline to base my guns on. So far I made a head space gauge whick worked out great. The bore gauge I made puts all 3 of my guns at about .306, one is counterbored. Only have test one at the range, and yes it does shoot good.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington