What do you carry (CCW) and how do you load for it

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Ironnewt

Re: What do you carry (CCW) and how do you load for it

Post by Ironnewt »

As to your Ruger, I'd go with a .38 spl 158gr LSWCHP in +P. We found it to be an excellent load and with proper placement will do the job. My Department switched to 9mm's and we noticed that the guys started shooting more because they had the ammunition (17 rounds vs 6) and needed more hits to stop suspects. As to your concern about 'handloads' most Police and States' Attorneys will be concerned about why you shot the guy that was breaking into your house rather than what you shot him with. Additionally most people would know the difference anyway. Hope this helps.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

Ironnewt wrote:As to your Ruger, I'd go with a .38 spl 158gr LSWCHP in +P. We found it to be an excellent load and with proper placement will do the job. My Department switched to 9mm's and we noticed that the guys started shooting more because they had the ammunition (17 rounds vs 6) and needed more hits to stop suspects. As to your concern about 'handloads' most Police and States' Attorneys will be concerned about why you shot the guy that was breaking into your house rather than what you shot him with. Additionally most people would know the difference anyway. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the post, this is interesting information about the hand loaded ammunition. Myself I do hand load everything I can and I have been packing 125 grain Hornady H.P. in my 357 but was thinking about changing based on my reading and then starting this thread. I know the Deer have yet to complain about any they got shot with. :mrgreen:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

To the best of my knowledge, the only place that HP ammunition is an issue is New Jersey. I've been a Police Officer for a long time and have investigated many a shooting. In the few self defense cases I was involved in, the type of ammunition was never an issue. We have had Police Involved shooting where the Officer was using non regulation ammunition. Even if he had been charged (the Grand Jury "No Billed" the case) he could have only been charged departmentally with using the wrong ammunition unless they tried a "malfeasance" charge and that would not fly against a civilian. Civil matters are a completely different kettle of fish.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

I use to carry a PA 63 for my ccw, but now I carry a Kimber Solo 9 and use 147gr Remington Gold Bond ammo in it.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Springfield 1911 with Winchester Ranger Bonded 230 gr and a .380 BUG with 102 gr golden sabers or Hornady 90 gr FTX.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
entropy

Post by entropy »

Another thing that was brought up was, if you shoot you shoot to kill anything else is asking for trouble down the road from your assailant.
You do not shoot to kill. You shoot to neutralize the threat. Often, however, this does result in death. The quickest, most efficient, and effective way to neutralize a threatening human with a firearm is disconnecting the CNS. (The Taser does this temporarily by over electrically overloading it.) The second is quick bleed out. Even the most efficient method of this may take 30 seconds. There are many variables in neutralizing a threat, i.e. adrenaline, drugs, belief commitment, physical constitution, and mindset (will to survive), etc. , to name but a few. I once shot the aorta of a deer apart, the .30-06 round passing through both lungs at 60 yards, and he still ran full bore 75 yards, still having the mindfulness to tuck himself under a downed tree before dying. That's tough! :shock: He was on adrenaline from being chased through a swamp by another hunter. (As an aside, the meat was of poor quality for that reason.)

If by 'trouble down the road' you are referring to civil action by a surviving assailant, the threat of this is not removed by his/her death. Indeed, surviving families often file civil suits also. If you refer to a vendetta, though it's possible, not very likely, and certainly a family could do so also.

Kind of proud of her actually
:vcool:

You go, Rongomam!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Well my permit renewal showed up today, $43.00 for another five years one fee from the state I can't really complain too much about. :bwink:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

I am waiting on my permit to arrive from the OSBI. When it gets here I will be carrying my CZ82 with 94 grain Silver Bear hollowpoints. It seems to be a popular combo around here. :toast:

Almost forgot to mention that I have retrofitted the pistol with MeproLight tritium night sights. :D
Last edited by websterz on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
dou44

Post by dou44 »

mine is a xd40 subcompact will hp ammo
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I still have not got my CCW but have acquired several guns for the task. I like the .40 and carry it in the car when traveling. Not too long a go I traded some tools for a Ruger LCP. with only 2 fingers on the grip frame it packs a real wallop, but I found some aftermarket grip extenders made by Pearce Grips and with the third finger around the grip it is just the ticket. You can barely even tell it is in your pocket. The belt clip is made for the Kel Tec P-3AT but fits the Ruger just fine. All factory ammunition for protecton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

My every day concealed carry is this

Right now she stays loaded with winchester pdx1 38+p ammo. I also carry two speed strips with 10 extra rounds. :D
Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ponycarman that is sweet. That is super sweet! :toast:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks! Its the 357 version but im using the +p ammo for now because the 357's are a bit of I handfull haha

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

As to my carry weapon I have a good load for the Hornady 125 HP that shoots quite well in my Security Six 4 inch. I plan to standardize to this load for the carry ammo. I have been experimenting with 158 grain semi wad cutters and the pistol shoots to point of aim at 15 yards with this load but the 125 grain really groups well out of this gun so I'll continue to use this as my carry ammo. I also carry a Colt 1991A1 45 ACP and I have that doing pretty well with Nosler's 185 grain HP using their load of Green Dot powder which burns pretty clean in my Colt. Today I haven't had a feed problem with this bullet in my gun so I'll continue to use this as well. But I am looking at the Rock Island 1911A1 in 38 Super and I may add this to my battery. I sure enough like the 1911 design and so far (20 years) I can't complain about my Colt, a great gun.
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Ruger SP 101 loaded with 110 grain Winchester JHP 357s and a speedloader in my pocket. The 110 grain 357s dont kick as bad as the rest.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ponycarman, I just got a email from Ruger announcing a new revolver, the LCR22, it's a 8 round 22 lr that looks like yours. I don't know how much I like it yet. I think a LCR in .38 is perfect and .357 mag near perfect
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

bunkysdad wrote:Ponycarman, I just got a email from Ruger announcing a new revolver, the LCR22, it's a 8 round 22 lr that looks like yours. I don't know how much I like it yet. I think a LCR in .38 is perfect and .357 mag near perfect
Thats an interesting addition to their line up. I can't say I would ever buy it though. 22lr doesn't do it for me for self defense. The regular 38's don't recoil bad at all. And if I wanted a target revolver I wouldn't buy the lcr. It was made more for concealment. I saw they have brought out a 22 version of the sp101 too. Its awesome that they are bringing out new things though.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
youmightbearedneck

Post by youmightbearedneck »

I carry either a Keltec P3-AT .380, Glock 26 9mm, or Glock 19 9mm.
Gold Dots in all.
+P 124g in the 9's
90g in the .380 Dutch loaded with hardball in the winter.

I'm of the same opinion about handloads, fine for practice, but not for carry. I want my lawyer to be able to say that I carry the same as what the police dept carries. And they surely wouldn't use excessive force right?
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass [Frederick Baily] (1818-1895), escaped slave, Abolitionist, author, editor of the North Star and later the New National Era
August 4, 1857
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Wife and I both carry the CZ82 in CZ shoulder holsters. We have more powerful handguns, but for CCW we do not feel we are going to get into a gun fight across the street. Nor do we wish a .40 or .45 round going through another car or near by house. My wife has serious arthritis of hands and fingers. But, the CZ82 she can easily fire with great accuracy in DAO. She cannot work even the slide on a Ruger LCP to load it. The CZ82 9X18 Makarov bullet in Hornady Custom or Critical Defense loads is just fine for short range. Plus, target ammo is far, far less expensive to use to build proficiency!
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!