sheetmetal sling hole liner in forearm AND buttstock?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

sheetmetal sling hole liner in forearm AND buttstock?

Post by racerguy00 »

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but yesterday I saw a mosin with the war time type sheet metal sling hole liners in both places. To this point I had only seen them in the fore arm with a plain hole or sometimes a screw in escutcheon in the butt. Does anyone have one with one in the rear spot as well?

Just curious, it was new to me

On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
kermit
ban
ban

Re: sheetmetal sling hole liner in forearm AND buttstock?

Post by kermit »

racerguy00 wrote:Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but yesterday I saw a mosin with the war time type sheet metal sling hole liners in both places. To this point I had only seen them in the fore arm with a plain hole or sometimes a screw in escutcheon in the butt. Does anyone have one with one in the rear spot as well?

Just curious, it was new to me

1943 and 1944 had partial liners front and in butt stock. 1940,1941 and some 1942 had partial liners on front only.1945 and post war had pressed in liners. 1939 (first year of the war) had plates held on with 2 screws. now 1,2,3,4 means there are 4"war time stocks".
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Thanks. Like I said, I must not have paid close enough attention. In all the refurbs I've dug through I hadn't noticed any rear ones like that.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I haven't seen a liner in the rear yet either. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

desdem12 wrote:I haven't seen a liner in the rear yet either. :D
my 1944 M44 has partial liners on front and on butt sling slots. my 42 Izhevsk M91-30 has partial liners on front only as does my 41Izhevsk.. my 43Izhevsk M91-30 has partial liners on front and on rear sling slots. my 41 Izhevsk came with 1945/postwar type stock.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
martin08

Post by martin08 »

My '43 Izhevsk sniper has half-liners front and rear.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Cleaned it up i see but it appears to be in jail already... :beek: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Wartime stock, the liners are within the range of wartime Mosin normal. The need for speed and material shortages forced them to temporarily cut back on such parts as steel to line the sling slots, some rifles had no liners at all.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt