Good idea to remove the extractor to clean first time?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BrianTSmith99

Good idea to remove the extractor to clean first time?

Post by BrianTSmith99 »

Hey guys,

I saw that someone here said they remove the extractor from the bolt head when they get a new gun. The Lapin book said not to remove it unless you were replacing it.

I poked around here and did not find many references.

What's peoples thoughts?

Thanks!
Brian
zeebill

Re: Good idea to remove the extractor to clean first time?

Post by zeebill »

For years I cleaned around the extractor using Carb cleaner and 160 pound compressed air thinking most times I rightly removed any trouble some junk left in the slot. Then I had some problems with one cycling like it should and removed the extractor to find some junk that was apparently impervious to my methods. I mean I probably cleaned rifles into the hundreds with no problems but here was one my method didn't work on, so I started taking the extractor off and have for the most part since then. I guess with the long term success not removing them I was alright till I hit that one for quite awhile but why take the chance I thought so I pop them off now.

I cut a small hole in my work bench big enough for the extractor to fall through and set the bolt head on the hole and pop it with a small brass hammer into the waiting coffee can below. Simple, quick, and easy for me even! Bill :wink:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Lapin was thinking that the extractor might break if it isn't removed properly is what I am thinking, but underneath the extractor a lot of old dried cosmoline can become trapped and I can imagine it would cause problems in some cases. I took a few pictures the other day. You can see the before and after and also look at the channel that is machined in the bolt head and you can see how easy it would be to hold deposits of old grease or junk. Just like Bill this one had been cleaned and blown out with compressed air numerous times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

i always remove it when doing the initial cleanup after purchase. that russian ear wax gets into everything.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
BrianTSmith99

Post by BrianTSmith99 »

"Russian ear wax"... I guess I should wear gloves, eh? :)

Thanks for all that. I'll start cleaning the girls ears tonight :)

Brian
severedirkitis

Post by severedirkitis »

kermit wrote:... russian ear wax ...
Love that saying...first time hearing it.
1943 Mosin Nagant M1891/30 (Tula)
1916 Mosin Nagant M1891 Balkan (Tula - Peter the Great)
1943 Mauser K98k (byf)
1943 M1 Garand (SA)
laquak

Post by laquak »

I never had the chance to remove it but from firing tons of rounds through it I saw left over cosmoline being pushed out because the battel headed up so bad, figured the extractor would, for the lack of a better term, clean it self out tha way. + I dont really have the best tools in the world to do any type of removal job like that.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I toss all my small parts into a pot of boiling water and let it stew for about 20 minutes at a low boil, then dry/clean compressed air then a light oil like Remoil. Never had a problem either with cosmo or function.
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

mmmmm stewed Mosin parts and cosmoline - just add some spam and you wil have one of JYD's favorite receipes. :idea: :)
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Mogunner, that sounds good, but if you get a chance to disassemble the extractor I would be interested to see what is in the nooks and crannies. Hey by the way, how is the sale going on the sight tools?