Enfield and Mauser

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
sbkittrell

Enfield and Mauser

Post by sbkittrell »

I went to look at more Mosin-Nagants today, but the store only had one left and that one had been sporterized. So I went and looked at the Enfields that was looking at last week. I wanted one but didn't want to pay the prices of most of them. Finally I saw a really gnarly looking Enfield. It looked in pretty bad shape but it was inexpensive compared to the rest of them, under 200.00 (barely), so I decided to buy it. Then I saw this Mauser. Now I know even less about Mausers and Enfields than I do Mosin Nagants. This Mauser, I think, was made in Czechoslovakia. The barrel, receiver, bolt, everything is silver, so I'm wondering if it got really rusty and somebody took all the bluing off cleaning it up. The stock looks in too good a shape too, almost like somebody sanded it and put some oil on it. Anyway, I still liked it a lot and it was only 129.00 so I bought it too. The more I look at that Mauser, the better I like it as a matter of fact. The Enfield is marked No. 4 Mk I Long Branch. It looks like it was dragged from North Africa to Normandy up to Holland and finally to Berlin, which makes me REALLY like it. I haven't even wiped them down yet, but I took some photos. OK, NOW I'll start saving up for the Mosin Nagant Sniper. But I did find out that trying to cure Mosin Nagant addiction by buying other military surplus rifles is like trying to get off cocaine by switching to crack.

Some days it's not even worth gnawing through the restraints.
sbkittrell

Re: Enfield and Mauser

Post by sbkittrell »

The Enfield:

sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

The Mauser:

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice rifles. That VZ24 was made in Czechoslovakia for the Romanians.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

Thanks. I forgot my bore light when I left this morning, but now that I've checked them out I am surprised to see that the bores look to be in pretty good shape. Not mirror shiny, but fairly shiny and clean looking. I don't see any pits and the rifling looks good as far as I can tell.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

It's not uncommon to see a VZ-24 with 10% bluing or less. The proof will be at the range, though.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Funny thing about Lee-Enfields...the more beat up they are the better they look. Nice rifle! You say it was under $200? I think you did very well compared to the prices I see around here. Is that butt plate brass? I couldnt tell from the pics. It looks like you have some surface rust on that rifle but some 0000 steel wool and patience will take care of that.

Is there any crest on top of the receiver of that Mauser? I love the different Mauser crests. 8-)

I'd say you have a couple of fantastic rifles there! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I would have to agree with ban one she looks like a real nice one. If thats beat up i better start shoping in that store..Sweet #4 and a nice 24 also :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

The Lee Enfield was 198.00 total with the tax included and they gave me a 5% discount for paying in cash. It does have some surface rust, especially up near the muzzle and it needs cleaning up. On the Mauser there is no there's no crest. The butt plate is iron. From the pictures, do you think the stock has been sanded? It looks almost like it's in too good condition to me, but the more I look at it, the more I think it's original finish. I'm not sure about that though. I was glad to hear that it's common for the bluing to be mostly gone on these rifles, since I posted this I've looked a few pictures posted from other members here and theirs looks like the bluing is gone too. One thing I really like about the Mauser is that it fits me pretty well, better than the Mosin-Nagant carbines.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Nice Enfield you got there. 1944 Longbranch, Canadian. Nice. Mine is a 1942. I think the first year they started making them there. Awesome find. VZ24. What a great mauser. I'll bet the action is like butter. There is something about the Czechs that just make them Mausers smooth and the sights are wicked looking. Kinda like the Persian Mausers, who IIRC are made by the Czechs as well. Congrats :toast:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I mentioned this in another thread but OOOO steel wool saturated in gun oil will work on surface rust without taking off all the underlying blue. Keep it in an used baby food jar with a little extra oil in with it so when you use it the steel wool is soaked.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

The Enfield is worth about $100 more than you paid for it. The rear sight is the stamped micrometer version that LB used (most of the micrometer sights you see on No.4s were milled), it isn't common and is an especially nice point about that rifle. Good buys on both of them.

Even if the mauser's stock has been refinished, it's a good buy at $129 for a shooter Vz. 24. I don't think the metal finish was stripped, there is finish left inside of the serial number. It just looks well used to me.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

You did very well on both. Congrats... 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

Izhevsk762 wrote:The Enfield is worth about $100 more than you paid for it. The rear sight is the stamped micrometer version that LB used (most of the micrometer sights you see on No.4s were milled), it isn't common and is an especially nice point about that rifle. Good buys on both of them.

Even if the mauser's stock has been refinished, it's a good buy at $129 for a shooter Vz. 24. I don't think the metal finish was stripped, there is finish left inside of the serial number. It just looks well used to me.
Thanks. That stamped sight on the LE was one of the things I didn't like about it, but now I like it just fine. I swear I learn something(s) new almost every time I come on this site.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I agree with desdem12. If that is beat up then show me that gunshop. You have found a good shop and he sells at fair prices. If you laid a perfectly blued VZ24 next to yours I'd take yours first. I love 0-20% blued milsurps.
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

Very nice ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

That enfield is very nice. I have the flip rear sight. I would have liked to have had that sight on mine. the wood looks great. It is old walnut with a great patina.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

Thanks ya'll. If any of you are in or near Eastern NC, PM me and I'll tell you the name and location of the gun store. They have a huge inventory of firearms, but not a whole lot of milsurp compared to the sporting rifles, black guns and handguns they have. They even have a replica Gatling gun in there.
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

I think you got two good deals there, Nice!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Ahhh yes, the VZ 24. This is the milsurp that got me on the road to ruining my bank account, nice one. Nice Long Branch. Now you need a Savage, a Lithgow and the 3 or 4 other arsenals.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!