Navy Arms SKS Sharpshooter

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

Navy Arms SKS Sharpshooter

Post by martin08 »

Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's, there were thousands of SKS's flooding the market from China. So many were available that it was hard to give them away at $70 with a half-case of ammunition.

With the stagnant market, a few importers began to get creative, and Val Forgett of Navy Arms was one of those dealers trying to spice things up. He began to offer a line of commercial adaptations of the SKS to make them more appealing. One of them was called the Sharpshooter, which featured a detachable scope and mount with a bi-pod that took place of the bayonet. Other variations were called the Cowboy Companion, Farmer's Friend, and the Sniper.

Even with the accessories, sales did not flourish, and Navy Arms only produced a limited number of these commercial variants. SKS collectors will sometimes jump for joy when one is added to the fold. I felt lucky to find my Sharpshooter in unfired-since-packing condition. Mine also came with a carrying case accessory.

Here are some pics. Enjoy.

Thanks for looking. :wink:
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Navy Arms SKS Sharpshooter

Post by millman »

I am assuming that you have one of each variation. :) That is neat. 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
martin08

Post by martin08 »

millman wrote:I am assuming that you have one of each variation. :) That is neat. 8-)
Working on that. :D
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

That really is a neat rifle and I love the set up!
Last edited by Ban-One on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
jfeenin

Post by jfeenin »

OK I am in love with that SKS... The more I see SKS's the more I love them.
Joe - http://all-about-guns.com
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell
[hr]