1893 Turkish Mauser no3

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

1893 Turkish Mauser no3

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Here is the latest 1893 Turk, another matching numbers rifle in the 1938 pattern, meaning refurbished by the Turks in the 1930's and adapted to use regular 7.92mm Mauser rather than the older 7.65mm, note the small cutout in the front of the ring so the larger round can pass into the magazine. This one is equipped with it's original Turkish bayonet and sling as well as 8mm Turk ammo. The ammo is for display only, Turk 8mm is on the hot side of 3000 feet per second, the Mauser made receiver can take it, but the wood takes a hell of a pounding from it. This rifle has a repaired tang crack in the stock as well as signs of movement in the stock crossbolt, both caused by long use of the hot rounds. The rifle has a clean bore and a very tight crown, somebody cleaned from the breach, or used a muzzle protector.
A probable veteran of the Italo-Turkish War of 1911-12,the First and Second Balkan Wars 1912-13, The Great War, and the Armenian Genocide during 1915 before being converted as part of the post WW1 refurbishment of the Turkish militarys rifles. This one was converted in 1938, the TC stands for Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (Turkish Republic) AS.FA ANKARA, being the Askeri Fabrikalar (Military Factories Administration of Ankara). I just love these Turk Mauser's, dripping with history ( sometimes literally) and looking the part, they are the sleepers of the Mauser world, now selling for much more than the $40 of ten years back, but still much less than a RC Mauser, or 24/47, and much less than any other 19th century Mauser.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
smacneighill

Re: 1893 Turkish Mauser no3

Post by smacneighill »

Very nice!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

For some reason, I like the wood on that. :wink:
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Turkish walnut in the standard '1938" pattern used on all the Turk Mauser's no matter what receiver they had. The stock has been cleaned up a bit with Kotton Klenser, the shade is similar to that found on original German Mausers, my unaltered 1906 Spandau GEW98 has that same shade on the stock.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MuzzleMarc

Post by MuzzleMarc »

That's really a nice peace of history. Good find, JYD

MuzzleMarc
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

That's a keeper!

Even kitty likes it. 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

I love these mile long Turkish Mausers. I remember when I got my first Turkish Mauser and thinking...wow, this is the flagship of the Mauser fleet. For some reason these rifles dont get a whole lot of respect. Bring out a K98K or a Yugoslavian rifle and everyone at the range wants to handle them. Bring out a nice Turkish Mauser and everyone looks at it like its a third class citizen. You have to hand it to the Turkish armorers, they could modify just about anything they could get their hands on.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They were trying to copy the German GEW98, that's were the 29" barrel comes from, most other countries had either gone to semi auto;s or short bolt rifles by WW2, but for whatever reason the Turks went on making long barrel Mauser's into the 1950's. Turk, Persian, and South American contract Mauser's just don't have the World War's thing going for them despite the 1893's use in that war against ( something that most people whould know nothing about) K98k brings up every WW2 movie about the war against Germany, it will always be leading the Mauser pack price wise, not sure why people would flock around a 24/47, except that it looks somewhat like a K98k, and there has been recent offerings of the rifle from the surplus dealers. Prices have gone up on the Turks, 1998 saw them at $40, today the same rifle sells in the $200 range and up, so somebody is paying attention to them.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This is nice. I like the straight bolt Mausers. These are a bargain for sure. The 24/47 in my opinion is appealing because of the incredible condition they can be found in and also range a little over 200.00 and have a great 8mm shooter.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

There is just something about Turkish Mausers. Before I knew it Ron had me 5 deep and looking for more.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now what we need to do is come up with a way to get Ron to buy them for us :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:)
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Your killing me here Jim! Beautiful Turk. I would love to find one of those older rifles. :D :Drool1: :Drool1:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Turks are not hard to find, there are always several on GB at any given time. These are still the most affordable Mauser.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

etemelkuran wrote:It's not used against Armenian rebels.
Ottoman Empire soldiers took and refurbished Mosin Nagant after capturing Armenian rebels.

And there is not any armenian genocide in history.There is force-moving of Armenians without supply, and war against Anatolian groups vs. Russian Empire supported Armenian rebels.(Genocide lie started on 1917 by Faiz El Ghocei on Bombay as Arab British Agent).Armenians still want their holy lands and making everything to buy it no way for them.
There is a fine line between talking history and talking politics (which is prohibited on this board) There are quite a few 'ghosts' that would disagree with your notion of "No Armenian Genocide"
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

etemelkuran wrote:It's not used against Armenian rebels.
Ottoman Empire soldiers took and refurbished Mosin Nagant after capturing Armenian rebels.

And there is not any armenian genocide in history.There is force-moving of Armenians without supply, and war against Anatolian groups vs. Russian Empire supported Armenian rebels.(Genocide lie started on 1917 by Faiz El Ghocei on Bombay as Arab British Agent).Armenians still want their holy lands and making everything to buy it no way for them.
The history of this period is remembered quite differently outside Turkey, the Turkish people hate to be reminded of the nasty things their ancestors did to the Armenian minority on Turkish soil the same way we Americans don't like to be reminded of what we did to the Native Americans.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board etemelkuran, you may be our first member from Turkey, how is the availability of Mauser's and Mosins in Turkey today?
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Here are some of the photos of the 1893 Turkish Mauser.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Another one
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

and another
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt