Beretta 1934 Model Pocket Pistol

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Ironnewt

Beretta 1934 Model Pocket Pistol

Post by Ironnewt »

A guy I used to work with handed me one in .32 auto. I has a 1950 "proof Mark. Any ideas as to value? The only ones I have seen are in .380 Thanks in advance
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Beretta 1934 Model Pocket Pistol

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a wartime made .380 1934, took it off a kid who shot at me with it and missed years ago, it's my favorite paperweight. They are not bad pistols, simple enough design, did you check on gunbroker? I would think $300-$400, but that would be for a wartime model, I don't know the postwar stuff, check GB, that's what I always do. They fit in pockets very well.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

All the ones on GB were .380's. This one is cherry, I don't even think it's been fired.

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Typical, they were cheap after the war and many people bought them just to stick in a desk, or nightstand, never fired them. .32 would be less than .380 I would think, .380 has a little bit more punch, but the smaller .32 was favored by the ladies.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Typical, they were cheap after the war and many people bought them just to stick in a desk, or nightstand, never fired them. .32 would be less than .380 I would think, .380 has a little bit more punch, but the smaller .32 was favored by the ladies.

Well, my buddy is no lady, he was a young kid in the Navy when he picked up the pistol while onshore leave in Italy. He carried it as a belly gun for a long time as a foot patrolman in east Baltimore and then as an extra piece (his words) when he became a Homicide detective.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

From what I have heard about east Baltimore I would be carrying three or four backups. Did he buy the pistol as brand new, or was it surplus? These were in production for a long time before the war and very popular with Italian army, and Navy officers as well as the black shirts, a lot of them were around. If it's got any military markings on it that would greatly increase it's value. Or if the serial could be shown as wartime or before, but I do not know were to get that information short of contacting Beretta.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

It was a "B-rand New" purchase. This guy took excellent care of his stuff and it looks unfired but you never know. As to wandering about in East Baltimore, i usually had a BUG and either a shotgun in the car or "a little something" from home. same deal on the West side.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The quality never slipped at Beretta during the war, sometimes they omitted some of the markings, but they still did a nice job on the blue, and no tool marks were you can see them. Post war is probably even nicer, Beretta is not a company known for making crappy guns.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I even heard that beretta bought up Sako and Tikka too. None of these are known for crap either. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Don't know about Tikka, but they did buy SAKO, and are producing rifles there.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

He served in Korea and ten took a Med cruise, He picked it up new and it has a 1950 proof mark

OldShooter

Post by OldShooter »

The Berretta M1934 is a .380 caliber pistol. The M1935 was a little later in .32 caliber. You can find a lot of information about these with a simple google search.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

9mm Corto is what the Italians call the .380 . The 1935 is exactly the same as the '34, just modified to use the 7.65mm round in 1937.
Theodore Roosevelt