m1/m2 .30 carbine: I changed my mind about this gun.

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
sharpie443

Post by sharpie443 »

I shot an m2 .30 carbine for the first time the other day. I never considered getting an m1 but i've wanted to shoot one for years just never got around to it. Then I heard all the bad things about how the ammo is underpowered (Not that i care about that for punching paper] and the ammo is getting expensive. It pretty much turned me away from this gun for a long time. Now that I've shot one I'm starting to think that i need one. The m2 didn't jump much at all in my hand and i was actually able to keep it on target most of the time. When shooting it in semi auto it was fairly accurate and not as hard on my shoulder as my G3 or even the AK-74 that i had been shooting most of the day. It looks like I can get junk range ammo for about $15 a box + shipping so it might be something to add to my list.

Short clip of me firing the m2 it's just the first part of the video the rest is just me talking about something else. Still good footage of an m2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynu3Pt0-yPM
turkeyoak

Post by turkeyoak »

When I first showed an interest in guns my boss gave me 2 cartridges and said to get the guns that shoot them and I'd be set. One was a .30-30 and one a .30 carbine.
He said I could find M1s at gun shows for $100-150 and would be a good start.
We'll, he must have bought his last one in high school because I havent found them for $500.
It is still on my list, still havent found mine.
So far:
Daisy Red Ryder, Henry H001 .22, scoped Marlin .30-30,
Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Maverick 88 pump 12 ga.
1939 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant 91/30,
Ruger P89, 22/45, & LCP.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: m1/m2 .30 carbine: I changed my mind about this gun.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In '92 I could buy m1 carbines all day for $150, they were part of the US aid to Korea during the Korean war that had been sold off as surplus by that country. M1 Garands as well. The M2 full auto is both expensive and possibly hard to find as any registered full auto is, the regular M1 carbine is a fraction of the cost, just as much fun, more accurate, and cheaper to feed. Fired out of battery? Not good, something with the ammo itself, or the gas system / the springs maybe. It is not normal for these weapons to do that when they are in good repair, or any full auto for that matter, very bad for troop moral when that happens. I know many soldiers who packed everything from Tommy guns, and BAR's to M16's and none has ever mentioned such a problem. One former Marine second lt who fought across northern Korea with Chesty Puller remembered his M2 fondly, it froze on him a couple of times, but never failed to fire or malfunctioned while doing it. He has passed on now, but he was another one who found a use for urine as a gun maintenance tool, it melts ice :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
sharpie443

Post by sharpie443 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:In '92 I could buy m1 carbines all day for $150, they were part of the US aid to Korea during the Korean war that had been sold off as surplus by that country. M1 Garands as well. The M2 full auto is both expensive and possibly hard to find as any registered full auto is, the regular M1 carbine is a fraction of the cost, just as much fun, more accurate, and cheaper to feed. Fired out of battery? Not good, something with the ammo itself, or the gas system / the springs maybe. It is not normal for these weapons to do that when they are in good repair, or any full auto for that matter, very bad for troop moral when that happens. I know many soldiers who packed everything from Tommy guns, and BAR's to M16's and none has ever mentioned such a problem. One former Marine second lt who fought across northern Korea with Chesty Puller remembered his M2 fondly, it froze on him a couple of times, but never failed to fire or malfunctioned while doing it. He has passed on now, but he was another one who found a use for urine as a gun maintenance tool, it melts ice :)
I would be getting the M1 carbine if i buy one. I can shoot the Chris's M2 any time i want so no need to drop that kind of money. The gun that fired the cartridge out of battery was a polish PPS-32 it's rare but those old open bolt guns do sometimes slam fire a cartridge out of battery. I've seen it happen twice in different guns. The M2 carbine on the other hand ran perfectly.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The M2 is the product of a first world economy, and built on the proven design of the M1 carbine. I never heard of it happening with a Mac, M3, Tommy gun, or the UZI, not yet anyway. I would pull that piece from the shooting line up until it had been gone over by an expert and pronounced safe, and the problem, be it worn parts, or improperly adjusted something identified.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Another cool video! The M1 carbine is one of my favorite milsurp rifles to shoot. Light, fun, good accuracy to 100 yards. Ammo seems to be making a comeback as their seems to have been a lot of commercial stuff around.
sharpie443

Post by sharpie443 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The M2 is the product of a first world economy, and built on the proven design of the M1 carbine. I never heard of it happening with a Mac, M3, Tommy gun, or the UZI, not yet anyway. I would pull that piece from the shooting line up until it had been gone over by an expert and pronounced safe, and the problem, be it worn parts, or improperly adjusted something identified.
The owner is a gun smith actually we had two gunsmith who are also C2 manufacturers there that day. They believe it's just the junk ammo I was using combined with the fact that the PPS-43 is not the most reliable firearm out there especially using a 9mm conversion. I would shoot it again and probably will but I'm going to where gloves and use better ammo this time. I'd rather shoot that thing than the full auto 12 gauge again. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welders gloves, heavy leather jacket and body armor/face shield :) My trust in commie ammo is limited, top end US commercial in any defence weapon.
Theodore Roosevelt
sharpie443

Post by sharpie443 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Welders gloves, heavy leather jacket and body armor/face shield :) My trust in commie ammo is limited, top end US commercial in any defence weapon.
I hear you there I'll have to show you some pictures of the m1 carbine that a friend of mine had. TulAmmo turned the thing from a gun into a grenade. He had some serious injuries because of it and the dun was scrap metal and kindling. It had to be the ammo because the gun was in perfect condition. I wouldn't trust that stuff in any of my guns.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's a shame, it must have been a very overloaded round to do that. The M1 Carbine is essentially a pistol round, and the M1 carbine is a stronger action than any pistol, or revolver. If it blew a carbine just think of what it would have done to a Ruger Blackhawk with the .30 cylinder. I would have sued the shit out of them. There are collectors who will not shoot the guns they collect mainly due to unwillingness to risk both the collectible firearm and the money they have sunk into it. Shooting antique firearms will always entail some risk, just like driving old cars, they can malfunction. On the other hand if care in ammo selection is observed, and the arms checked carefully and not used to excess they will provide many years of service in your hands.
Theodore Roosevelt