Is this pitting on the bolt head?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Themosinkid95

Re: Is this pitting on the bolt head?

Post by Themosinkid95 »

desdem12 wrote:Pitting on barrels of guns that went to war is very common. There is pitting from being left to the elements as well as pitting from blood. You are likely to find both on an old war horse. :D
You're kidding about the blood right?
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Absolutely not. These are weapons of war and as such their owners were shot sometimes and they bled on the rifles. Blood is highly corrosive on these and leaves distinct pitting usually. There is a dark history to a lot of these weapons and most have been to one fornt or the other. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Here is a perfect example of a pitted receiver, I was told it's a strong possibility it's blood pitted. It's a Finn capture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I would say that is blood pitting on that one. I was looking over some M24/47s at a gun store. One had pitting like that on one side of the reciever and there was a blood stain on the stock to match the spot on the reciever. :beek:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Almost all exposed metal it like that, the barrel has some under the handguard, end of the barrel and front sight much the same way. I think at some point the rear sight, magazine and stock were changed by the Finn's. Strange thing is the bore didn't suffer the same fate :vconfused:

A blood stain on the stock, now that is a little eerie. :big shock:
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Greasemonkey - does anything on the metal look like possible shrapnel damage or scrapes? Looking like that, the holder had to have been evicerated!

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Sgt. Rob wrote:Greasemonkey - does anything on the metal look like possible shrapnel damage or scrapes? Looking like that, the holder had to have been evicerated!

Semper Fi, Rob
Evicerated! :big shock:

No, no shrapnel/metal damage I have found, I have another that has barrel shrapnel damage, but not on this one. It is a M91/30 in a 2 piece Finn stock/handguard with Civil Guard numbers.
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

That one sounds interesting, was it posted recently? I seem to remember seeing a post not too long ago showing possible battle damaged Mosins.

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Sgt. Rob, here a the link with my '39 Finn capture with shrapnel damage http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... f=5&t=2202

What would gas cutting/pitting look like on a Mosin bolt, would it even be possible? Just curious.
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Any gas cutting from escaping gas would more then likely be at the rim area on the bolt face. That being said I have never seen it in person, nor heard of it on a Mosin. It usually seems to happen on semi auto actions?

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That rifle could have been lying amongst a pile of the former owners entrails for days or weeks until it was a putrid mess and the corrosive body fluids started to eat into the steel. Blood is very bad for firearms, much worse than water or even corrosive primer residue. Primer salts need moisture to start their work, but blood already has both the salt and the moisture and higher levels of salt that found in the primers. It's also viscous and will tend to stay were it splatters on the metal rather than spread like water, it eats into the metal in the patterns of it's splatter, and eats like acid. Stops eating when it dries out, starts again when moisture returns. Reminds me of photos of battlefields after the states war battles, body's blown to pieces and the rifles laying next to them, or on top of them. Most milsurps have a dark and bloody past with the possibility of many bodies on them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Brutal. I came on to find out if mine was catching because of the bolt head and caught this..now I'm not going to complain about my small piece of steel having a dent.

Question: is that catching really bad when you load it up?
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Your bolt head has a dent? That could be not good if it catches the rims everytime. I probably would replace it. :D