Izhevsk AK references

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
blackwolf97

Izhevsk AK references

Post by blackwolf97 »

So, yall remember how I snapped up an Izhevsk M44 and SKS? Well...how difficult is it to get ahold of an AK-47? I'm interested in production numbers, vendors I can talk to, anything that I can use to start hunting this rifle down. It might be a year or few before I can do anything, but it's nice to KNOW, ya know? Thanks yall!
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Izhevsk AK references

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In the US the difficulty is great, first there are all the full auto federal licensing issues, expensive and time consuming in most states, some states do not allow full auto at all. Izhevsk is the birth place of the AK47, however the Soviets never exported real AK's to the US, the ones collected up and sneaked home from Vietnam would have been Chinese and fully illegal. There may be a tiny number of Soviet AK's in the country but they would be expensive. A license to own fully automatic weapons is not like getting a C&R FFL or a CCW, the application process is time consuming, the background check intrusive, the permissions needed extensive, not only are the weapons themselves very expensive and hard to acquire, but you pay a tax on each one. Once you have the license you are the BATFE's bitch forever.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
blackwolf97

Post by blackwolf97 »

that, my good man, is pretty much exactly the opposite of what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that a few were imported and converted or were made semi. I already knew of the FFL3 requirements, but hoping against hope.
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
blackwolf97

Post by blackwolf97 »

dammit, I forgot!: Thank you for your information, happy news or not, you're a great reference, JYD. Thanks!
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There are Soviet made AK's in the new world, Cuba would be a good place to find them, and any country in South America who's communist guerrillas received Soviet Aid during the Cold War. You will never see any of them legally brought into the US, but I am sure some of them are here anyway, but your chances of finding one are near 0, and if you did find one there is no current amnesty going on regarding unregistered full auto's. Glad to help :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

The only place I have seen the fully auto AK47 on the streets was in Gang territory of LA Calif. JGC
blackwolf97

Post by blackwolf97 »

yeah, that wouldnt surprise me. I'm not interested in getting and maintaining that FFL3 or putting my secret clearance at risk for having a full-auto that I didn't report to ATF.
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
Jolly Green Chopper

I have fired an Ak47 full auto in S.E.Asia and I shoot my 2 regular semi-auto AK47's as fast as you can bump fire them. None of them can take the heat very long.To me, not much point in trying to burn that much ammo and yourself too! They really do smoke a lot after just two 30 round mags. Accuracy is also impossible unless you are an expert.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They can heat up faster than a gas stove boiling water, I blew over 150 rounds once in less than ten minutes, in fact as fast as I could fire it and swap mags. That AK was smoking good by the time I was done. It was shortly after 9/11, all the shit going on, all the funerals here in town, it got to be too much so I took the AK out into the yard and blew the shit out of some cars. Accuracy was not a great concern of mine at the time.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

yea,my SKS also got so hot one time from blowing off some steam about 9/11 that it melted the cheap Walmart shoulder sling I had on it. Took me awhile to scrape off the melted plastic webbing material. I lost a good friend that day so I fired off all the weapons in the house along with most of the ammo. When I went back down to the Walmart to get some more they had sold out along with all the other stores in town. Yea,that was a bad one. Learned my lesson about ammo "buy it cheap and stack it deep" I'm one of those that really thinks the need for being prepared is important and now is the time. thanks sorry about running onJGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I lost several neighbors and some good customers that day, thought I lost a couple of good friends and several distant family members, but one by one I tracked them down, or they reported in. Stress levels went off the charts for a bit, and stayed there for some time. You don't realize how little life's petty concerns mean until you start thinking you will be burying half the people you know all at once, and have to deal with the stress of all the other crap from that day. The alerts, the nuke plant possibly being hit, the what's next crap, it's amazing I didn't have a major coronary that day. About a week and a half later after yet another funeral procession went through town I just went into the yard with all the loaded mags I had out and hosed some cars while swearing at the top of my lungs. I started prepping during the cold war, but ramped it up after 9/11, and even more so now. Sorry to hear about your friend, sounds like you lived the nightmare I thought was coming for me, I had one who was responding to the event when the south tower went down, and another who was supposed to be working for a delivery company in the city that day. Various second cousins, and such worked in the towers, or nearby, they all got out.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Cool that your friends and relatives were ok That nightmare is over what do you think is next. My family has been prepping for various scenarios. Bunker with food and ammo nearby. I watched some of those people on TV and think most of them are not ready. Not enough firepower nor the knowledge and will power to use it.Thanks for sharing you knowledge and experience. This forum will help keep America strong. JGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

During the Cold War I knew what to expect, Global Thermonuclear War, now the field is wide open, we face potential hits from so many directions, and that's not including nature. Dirty bombs, real nukes, bugs, EMP, civil collapse caused by who knows what, the list seems endless sometimes. It's hard to prep for so many different possibilities, but I think more and more that we will face one of them in the near future, the world has become so unstable a place. You prep as best you can and hope you will have what you need. Some dam fool was going on today about how the Israelis should nuke Iran, and a few other places, just drop bombs on every threat. I asked him were he thought all that radioactive shit would go. In the air and then were, here sooner of later would be my bet. Chernobyl contaminated most of northern Europe when it went up, and that was just one nuke plant, what would 20 or 30 thermonuclear bombs going off all at once do? Assuming they use so few for a first strike and it ends there. Ignorance is right, people do not understand the nature of the threats they may face. If the worst was to happen just knowing a few basic facts about radiation can mean the difference between life and death. What to do when a flash goes off, how long to shelter, were to shelter, what is safe to eat or drink. I bought a Civil Defence radiological survey meter, new in the box from 1962, that simple device will tell me if need be when it's safe to crawl out from under the rocks, but how many people have one? Or even know what it's for?
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Yea so many threats makes me feel "like a canary in a coal mine" . I have a relative that works with the CDC out of Atlanta who thinks we are way over due.Iodine for children to protect thyroid glands. Many could have been saved in Russia and Europe with just a small dose after the reactors blew up.A few pharmacy people near reactors in US have been trying to get stocked up but Gov't is slow to help for fear of publicity. Thanks JGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

During the Halloween storm I saw such helplessness, homes that burned to the ground because people couldn't figure out that fireplaces that haven't been used in 30-40 years might have plugged, dirty, or broken chimneys. Homes burned to the ground because an entire neighborhood couldn't scare up one chain saw to clear the downed trees from the streets so the fire company could get in. People who had a couple of days worth of food in the house going hungry because they couldn't navigate the blocked streets for a few days or more. Freezers full of meat going to waste because people didn't know to cook it all on the BBQ so it would last for a few days in a cooler packed with snow. People arguing with grocery store managers because their credit cards couldn't be accepted with the phone and power out, and they had no cash on hand. A riot because an electric utility couldn't take time off critical repair work to provide them with dry ice. In a real emergency these people will all be a drain on available emergency resources if any are available at all. I do not intend to be someones burden because I was to stupid to see the writing on the wall and set some things aside.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

m,y pitbulls don't need any batteries.Good garbage disposalThanksJGC
Jolly Green Chopper

yea ,same thing happens during a hurricane like the one that hit me on the gulfcoast 1969 "Camille" was glad I had a good chain saw etc. with a shotgun for looters.JGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

We had a little hurricane back in September, wrecked the place, almost as bad as the freak snowstorm. The stores were stripped empty before that one hit, first one since 1988 to hit us.
Theodore Roosevelt