What to look for in Lee-Enfield No4 Mk1?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Spermgewehr

What to look for in Lee-Enfield No4 Mk1?

Post by Spermgewehr »

Saw a couple at a gun shop this morning. One was $229 but the stock seemed to move a bit, another was $139 and besides being a bit ugly I can't really tell what, if anything, is wrong with it. What should I look for with one of these? The bore wasnt immaculate but certainly wasnt the worst I've ever seen.
desdem12

Re: What to look for in Lee-Enfield No4 Mk1?

Post by desdem12 »

THe stocks are loose on a bunch of these. I think there is a screw and a washer that sometimes needs replaceing. I have never seen a no 4 for less then $250. Buy Both as pac would say bundle them :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I bought one and noticed the buttstock moved a bit. I took off the buttplate and tightened the buttstock screw with a really long, large slotted screwdriver. It fixed the problem. A lot of these guns shot corrosive ammo and many in a humid environment. My bore has good rifling, but is slightly "frosted." It is very similar in condition to a N0.1 Mk3 that I have had for years.

The price doesn't sound too bad as long as there are no major stock cracks and nothing missing. Look at the flip up micrometer sight (if it has one); sometimes they got bumped around and buggered up. Might also try to find out who the importer was; ususally the markins are very small somewhere near the trigger guard. I would pull the bolt off, take the bolt head off and inspect the firing pin. Check to see if the receiver and bolt numbers match. Many of these guns were refurbed in the late 40's and early 50's.

You might also ask if there are any accessories like sling, bayonet etc. I love the Enfields; best bolt action in WWI and a damn good combat rifle in WWII.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

As long as nothing is missing, the one for $139 is a pretty good price!
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Izhevsk762 wrote:As long as nothing is missing, the one for $139 is a pretty good price!
+100!

There's a poorly done bubba here for $150. If that one is complete and original for $139, I'd have it home by now :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I had to buy a special long screwdriver from Snap On tools just for the Enfield buttstocks. Both rifles sound under priced, buy them both. Loose wood is common this time of year, the stocks shrink as the winter air dries them out, central heating sucks the moisture out of everything. Come a humid summer and it should spring back, that's why you should never adjust stocks in the winter, once it swells up again it can become to tight.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bern

Post by Bern »

Be sure that the letters "BP" aren't shown anywhere on the gun. That would indicate that it is possibly demilled or otherwise rendered unshootable. Otherwise, great prices.

Bern
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have a modest Enfield collection and it's been a few years since I paid under 250 for a good No.4 MKI. Don't bother to go buy a $25.00 long screwdriver. Your Mosin bayonet is just what you need. Yes guys it is and was made to be a screwdriver when not poking somebody. The letters to avoid are DP, which stands for drill purpose.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
alwyswrkng

Post by alwyswrkng »

This afternoon I was at a local GS and saw a 'ol beat up ugly gun. It was marked as a British Enfield MK 1 and I paid $100 OTD. First Enfield for me but for a C note I won't care if it does becomes a wall hanger. So where on the gun do I need to look for the letters DP? I'll take pics of all the marks I can find and maybe y'all can help me figure out what I just bought. LOL
"I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, I wont be laid a hand on, I dont do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne in The Shootist
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The DP will be stamped most anywhere, even the wood. There rumored to be some DP rifles that were reconditioned after they were stamped DP. When things were running good the British were very pickey but as the war went on things got relaxed.
alwyswrkng

Post by alwyswrkng »

Here are some pics of the gun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, I wont be laid a hand on, I dont do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne in The Shootist
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

looks like that ones been around a bit. I never really liked Enfields, then I bought a No4 Mk1* and somehow they just kept multiplying. Which other model did you see.?
anything like these?
IMAG0347 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alwyswrkng

Post by alwyswrkng »

Some more pics.....and some questions..... Is the year of manufactor 1943? Is the muzzle break an add on? What is the attachment thingy just in front of the magazine for? This is fun! Thanks for any help.
alwyswrkng

Post by alwyswrkng »

Well looking at yours I'd say the second one from the top. This one looks like it has been bubba'd by comparison as the barrel is exposed.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The muzzle break/flashhider are not original and look to be off an SVT38 or 40 and the forestock looks to have been cut down, it should go all the way to the end with a nosecap. I fear bubba has played with this one. As for the markings on your rifle the BNP means it has passed the tests for smokless powder, the other markings there are the pressure tests it was put through, 18.5 tons per square inch over 2.222", .303 is the caliber. The little arrrows are called "The Broad Arrow" marking it as a British firearm. 43 could be a date of refurb and the D over 22 and the FN over 22 are inspectors stamps. The 360 are original serial numbers showing you have the original receiver and barrel. The rifle was originallyWhat is the date stamped under the crown stamp on the buttstock band? Which by the way the GR under the crown stamp shows this rifle was made during the reign of King George.
alwyswrkng

Post by alwyswrkng »

FROM THE TOP DOWN............very hard to make out even with a flashlight and a magnifying glass!
CROWN MARK
GR
ENFIELD
1916 OR 1918 I THINK (IS THAT A POSSIBILITY)
SELF ?
SMALL MARKINGS I CAN NOT MAKE OUT

THE BOLT HAS THE NUMBER 827 ON THE REAR SO IT IS NOT MATCHING

THANKS AGAIN.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Ya i kinda see the 1918. At least that is what i thought when i saw it before reading further. A c note i think is a good deal for that. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The rifle was worth the $50 for it's parts, too bad about the flash hider, and the stock.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Whoa...I have never seen an SVT-40 muzzle break on a Lee-Enfield before...that caught me off guard. Are you going to keep it and see how it shoots...use it for parts...restore it? It might make an interesting restoration although it would probably be cheaper to get another No1 MkIII and salvage this one for Parts.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The barrel on this one is done, but I would grab it for the parts, Enfield parts are not as cheap to come by as once hey were, and Headspace on these is correctable with a bolt head swap just like on the Mosin, can't have too many spare bolt heads.
Theodore Roosevelt