Help needed!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Kuperkeikkari

Help needed!

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

I once posted (months ago) about this M91 Ishevsk Dragoon dated 1907 with odd rear sight markings. I've still got nothing on what it is.

But now I've got some pictures from markings under the barrel, if someone knows what these mean, help would be appreciated.
Maybe these markings tell us why the rear sight markings are 300, 400, 550, 700 and 850. The finish is a bit brownish, weird for a 1907 ishevsk.
Rear sight leaf is changed and the receiver is also not original. The barrel has a lot of markings, I've got no clue what they mean.
Stock is German captured, caliber is still 7,62mm. I thought the caliber is something else than 7,65mm but it definetly is 7,62mm.
The rear sight has Ishevsk markings too and the numbers are well made, at the factory most likely.

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Help needed!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These rifles are covered with small markings, the older they are the more markings there will be. They indicate something was inspected by someone at some point in the rifles history from when it was new, and again each time it was upgraded, or repaired, given a refurbishment. The letters would be attached to a particular inspector or maybe just indicate that someone had inspected a specific part of the rifle. No way to tell who or what that was. Every milsurp rifle will have something similar on it someplace.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The graduations match up to the same distances the Finns stamped on their mosin sight bases when converting to meters from arshins. There were a few different variations in the ways they did it. Ive seen one Finn-used m91 marked identically to yours. Since there's no other Finn traits maybe it was an early one that never made it back to an arsenal to be D or SA stamped etc later on?
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Izhevsk is notorious for having a TON of markings on the barrel and receiver. IDK if this practice followed into the Soviet era; but all/most of the Imperial era Izhevsks that I've seen have a ton of inspection/acceptance markings like your rifle has. These aren't unusual.
Mosin Fanboy
Kuperkeikkari

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

racerguy00 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:17 pm The graduations match up to the same distances the Finns stamped on their mosin sight bases when converting to meters from arshins. There were a few different variations in the ways they did it. Ive seen one Finn-used m91 marked identically to yours. Since there's no other Finn traits maybe it was an early one that never made it back to an arsenal to be D or SA stamped etc later on?

Thanks for the reply! I noticed it too, the confusing thing is that it seems that these graduations we're made to "clean metal", meaning that the rear sight didn't have any markings before the 300, 400 etc. marks. Usually the rear sight has the original arshin graduations which are crossed over and meters added to the right side of the sight or some other modification, but this looks like it's been meters straight from the factory. I've never in my life seen these marks and I've seen hundreds of Finnish mosins, they cannot be very usual...
Is there any possibility that Ishevsk made a very small batch of rifles with meter scale graduation..? The font and stamping seems very original.
Kuperkeikkari

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

willyj73 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:14 pm Izhevsk is notorious for having a TON of markings on the barrel and receiver. IDK if this practice followed into the Soviet era; but all/most of the Imperial era Izhevsks that I've seen have a ton of inspection/acceptance markings like your rifle has. These aren't unusual.
I know the barrel markings arent unusual, the rear sight graduations are.
I thought if someone knew about the markings under the barrel that could refer to the graduation scale and why it's in meters..
Kuperkeikkari

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:02 pm These rifles are covered with small markings, the older they are the more markings there will be. They indicate something was inspected by someone at some point in the rifles history from when it was new, and again each time it was upgraded, or repaired, given a refurbishment. The letters would be attached to a particular inspector or maybe just indicate that someone had inspected a specific part of the rifle. No way to tell who or what that was. Every milsurp rifle will have something similar on it someplace.
Thanks for the reply, I thought if someone knew about the markings under the barrel that could refer to the graduation scale and why it's in meters.
Like willyj replied, I know that Ishevsk is really known for stamping the *** out of the barrels.
The rear sight meter markings are the main question of the thread :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That would have been done by any of the non Russian users of these rifles, as nobody but the Russians used the Arshins system of measure. Even they didn't in the communist era.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Kuperkeikkari

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:21 am That would have been done by any of the non Russian users of these rifles, as nobody but the Russians used the Arshins system of measure. Even they didn't in the communist era.
Did some rifles come from the Ishevsk factory without the measurements? Since the markings are made to pure metal and it doesn't look like there's any markings under these numbers.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Early Izhevsk dragoons with the type 1 handguard had no sight graduations on the sight base. They were on the handguard itself as weird as that sounds.

Photos copyright 7.62x54r.net
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Kuperkeikkari wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:45 am
willyj73 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:14 pm Izhevsk is notorious for having a TON of markings on the barrel and receiver. IDK if this practice followed into the Soviet era; but all/most of the Imperial era Izhevsks that I've seen have a ton of inspection/acceptance markings like your rifle has. These aren't unusual.
I thought if someone knew about the markings under the barrel that could refer to the graduation scale and why it's in meters..
The markings under the barrel have nothing to do with the rear sight markings--the barrel markings are just typical Izhevsk markings. I've tried to find another rear sight that is marked like yours and I cannot find one. The font style looks very familiar. Numbers are in meters like the Finns would mark on the opposite side of the rear sight---only they would have used "hundreds of meters" rather than actual meters.
Below is a photo of my non Finn 1916 dated Izhevsk dragoon. Same type of markings on the barrel. The rest of the barrel has scattered markings.
Mosin Fanboy
Kuperkeikkari

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

racerguy00 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:43 pm Early Izhevsk dragoons with the type 1 handguard had no sight graduations on the sight base. They were on the handguard itself as weird as that sounds.

Photos copyright 7.62x54r.net
OH yes, I forgot! That's true, they were in the handguard. But the font of these markings doesn't seem Finnish, and they're put there as deep as the Ishevsk logo. Really interesting. I had one dragoon with the handguard graduations, pretty rare. I attached a pic too.
Kuperkeikkari

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

willyj73 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:54 pm
Kuperkeikkari wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:45 am
The markings under the barrel have nothing to do with the rear sight markings--the barrel markings are just typical Izhevsk markings. I've tried to find another rear sight that is marked like yours and I cannot find one. The font style looks very familiar. Numbers are in meters like the Finns would mark on the opposite side of the rear sight---only they would have used "hundreds of meters" rather than actual meters.
Below is a photo of my non Finn 1916 dated Izhevsk dragoon. Same type of markings on the barrel. The rest of the barrel has scattered markings.
OK thanks for reply. First I thuoght that is there something made to the caliber etc. but yes, they're in meters and the caliber is 7,62. So there shouldn't
be any definitive marks under the barrel. Thank you for the comparison picture.

And I agree, the font is really familiar! And the graduations are stamped in the same way as the Ishevsk logo, and just as deep. It really seems like it went to the factory for refurbishment and they put meter scale to the rear sight, although that's probably not possible :D
It's also true, it probably isn't a Finnish marking, I've never seen Finns use actual meters, they're in the hundreds like you said.
Truly a weird piece, only if it could talk.