Mosin 'Dragoon' oddity

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Anzac15

Mosin 'Dragoon' oddity

Post by Anzac15 »

Been a while since I've been on here, but I've just acquired one of the most unusual Mosin Nagants I've ever had.
This is not an ‘ex Dragoon’, but an actual Dragoon (?) Features are as follows:
1928 Izhevsk barrel mated to a 1921 Tula receiver
Not one matching number, not an import mark to be found anywhere.
‘Konovalov’ rear sight, 91/30 style globe front sight.
Sling swivel holes drilled and filled at the forestock, and under the buttstock (much like the Austrian style)
Faint roundel on right of butt with graffiti, Cyrillic 'A' on left with graffiti.
No evidence of Finnish or SCW use. Patina is absolutely consistent throughout the rifle. This piece has been around.
I have to stress, no evidence of the later 'globe sight' being added to the '28 Izhevsk barrel. This was made for this. So, a prototype? Trials rifle? I haven't had it apart yet to see if it has a squared or round attachment to the magazine.
It's a real puzzle. Eager to hear any thoughts.
Anzac15

Re: Mosin 'Dragoon' oddity

Post by Anzac15 »

For whatever reason, I'm having trouble showing pics. Says file too large, have never had a problem before. Any suggestions?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Resize your pictures smaller.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
yarik_jar

Post by yarik_jar »

Tula, Izhevsk, Sestroretsk and other factories did not mixed barrels and receivers. In addition, Konovalov’s sight is paired with a closed front sight (91/30), this has never happened in nature ;) I think Konovalov was transferred from another rifle. Try to remove the Konovalov, and I think that under it there will be two holes for the pins from the 91/30 scope. Show the photo, please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The arsenals absolutely did use older receivers from theirs or there arsenals sometimes. Not uncommon. Sounds like you have a well used non-matching dragoon that simply had a 91/30 front sight installed. My bet would be on a Spanish import.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.