Questions for my 1943 Izhevsk PU

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
vinwang123

Questions for my 1943 Izhevsk PU

Post by vinwang123 »

Hi guys,

I took a few days to watch videos online and read through some online posts, especially from https://www.m9130.info/pu-snipers, to identify Mosin pu. Then I bought one yesterday. I was thinking I could confirm it should be an original mosin pu with postwar refurbishment, but after reading a few threads here, I become not sure if it is original or put together/fake mosin pu.

Overall view:
1.jpg
According to https://www.m9130.info/pu-snipers, the letter prefixes 'НГ' on this rifle is in the list of 1943 Izhevsk mosin pu.
3.jpg
The original scope number is ground off, which should be the 2ed evidence it is a real mosin pu.
2.jpg
There is a poorly stamped "C in circle" sniper grade proofmark on the right side of the barrel shank, as 3rd evidence.
4.jpg
Scope mounts were electropenciled with the rifle's serial number in combination with the scope serial number by postwar refurbishment.
5.jpg
There is my first question - according to https://www.m9130.info/pu-sniper-scopes, I think the scope should be the original wartime pu scope, but the original factory markings got removed during rework in 1965. Is it correct?
8.jpg
I can feel something got ground off over there.
11.jpg
Second question - the stock is definitely not the original pattern used in 1943 Izhevsk pu. It should come from a Tula mosin, then used on this rifle in postwar refurbishment I guess?
6.jpg
7.jpg
Photos of bent bolt:
9.jpg
10.jpg
Thank you in advance for any response!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Questions for my 1943 Izhevsk PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Need to look at it on a bigger screen but what I see so far looks good. The Tula stock was installed during refurb and is a war time stock as Tula used the press in sling slots in the PU's in 42 through the end of production in 44.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
vinwang123

Post by vinwang123 »

Miller Tyme wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:31 pm Need to look at it on a bigger screen but what I see so far looks good. The Tula stock was installed during refurb and is a war time stock as Tula used the press in sling slots in the PU's in 42 through the end of production in 44.

Thank you for the response.

Do you think the markings on scope look common?
vinwang123

Post by vinwang123 »

And one more question - Is it hard to find an Izhevsk pu stock online? Is it worth finding one and replace the current Tula stock? Will it be really helpful from the value perspective when I sell it in the future?
Last edited by vinwang123 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I can see the import marks which are the best indicator of the rifle.
I would love to see the import marks (probably on the right side of the barrel shank or under the top hand guard.

It looks to be a Tulsky import
knowledgebase/sniper_exports.html

Swapping parts to make it "better" (which it will not) is frond upon. If I were looking to purchase it and found out the rifle was "re-stocked", the value to me would be zero. As it sits, it is worth the value of a sniper rifle. What I am trying to say is, swapping parts is idiotic and will not increase the value of the rifle.

Nice sniper.

Darryl
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

vinwang123 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 pm And one more question - Is it hard to find an Izhevsk pu stock online? Is it worth finding one and replace the current Tula stock? Will it be really helpful from the value perspective when I sell it in the future?
Even if you found one, due to dimensional variations in manufacturing the PUs, the chance that the scope base cutout in the stock lines up exactly with your rifle's scope base is not great.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

racerguy00 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:38 am
vinwang123 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 pm And one more question - Is it hard to find an Izhevsk pu stock online? Is it worth finding one and replace the current Tula stock? Will it be really helpful from the value perspective when I sell it in the future?
Even if you found one, due to dimensional variations in manufacturing the PUs, the chance that the scope base cutout in the stock lines up exactly with your rifle's scope base is not great.
This is correct. The base of the PU sniper were not put on the rifles with any great uniformity. They are all over the place. You can see this if you try to swap bases on rifles.
Many people purchased the SAMCO sniper rifles that were Yugo's that had no base, mount or scope and tried to put on one. Typically, you would have to buy 6 or more bases to find one that would fit. So, the cutout would be different also.

Darryl
vinwang123

Post by vinwang123 »

Got it! Thank you very much for the responses!