Are Mosin front-sights durable?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Arisaka_Enjoyer

Are Mosin front-sights durable?

Post by Arisaka_Enjoyer »

I don't own a Mosin nagant, however; I have noticed that their front sight base is quite thin (I believe this is done on purpose so the spike bayonet could be attached). Plus the sight block is relatively quite tall.

For this reason, shouldn't it be quite weak/malleable? Are Mosin front-sights known to bend/break off?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Are Mosin front-sights durable?

Post by millman »

Not that I've seen.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Arisaka_Enjoyer

millman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 am Not that I've seen.
I mean, if you compare it with an Arisaka front sight, it does look very weak/fragile
https://www.nambuworld.com/t2muzzle.jpg
[/img][/img]
Last edited by Arisaka_Enjoyer on Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Maybe, but I still don't think I have seen a broken one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

They were tough enough to survive two world wars. I have never seen a broken one either and at one time I owned 75 of them.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Kiel_23

Post by Kiel_23 »

The front sight was used as anchor point for the bramit silencer as well. It would have been a very bad idea if the front sights weren't strong enough.
I haven't seen, or heard about a broken one as well...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Kiel_23 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 pm The front sight was used as anchor point for the bramit silencer as well. It would have been a very bad idea if the front sights weren't strong enough.
Oh I have, but that one was the result of someone hitting it with a hammer trying to loosen the front sight slider to adjust the windage. The front sight is staked in place and can be difficult to dislodge without the proper tools.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Arisaka_Enjoyer

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:34 pm
Kiel_23 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 pm The front sight was used as anchor point for the bramit silencer as well. It would have been a very bad idea if the front sights weren't strong enough.
Oh I have, but that one was the result of someone hitting it with a hammer trying to loosen the front sight slider to adjust the windage. The front sight is staked in place and can be difficult to dislodge without the proper tools.
Wouldn't have happened it if was an Arisaka front sight, lol
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Arisaka_Enjoyer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:07 pm
Of course it would have, it's what happens when idiots attempt to use tools and work on things without two working brain cells in their heads. Over the years I have seen more butchered Arisakas than any other one type of rifle. Back after the war the Arisaka could be had for a few dollars at the hardware store assuming it wasn't brought home from the war for free. Home gunsmith Bubbas had at them in every way imaginable. It took me years to acquire the unaltered examples that I have because of it. I was buying Arisakas when they were forty or fifty bucks, sometimes less, and that's with slings even bayonets included, they just didn't have a collector following like they do today. I rescued quite a few of them back in the day to keep them out of Bubbas hands. Now they are expensive enough that few will think about butchering them up into some sort of " hunting rifle"
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 am
Arisaka_Enjoyer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:07 pm
Of course it would have, it's what happens when idiots attempt to use tools and work on things without two working brain cells in their heads. Over the years I have seen more butchered Arisakas than any other one type of rifle. Back after the war the Arisaka could be had for a few dollars at the hardware store assuming it wasn't brought home from the war for free. Home gunsmith Bubbas had at them in every way imaginable. It took me years to acquire the unaltered examples that I have because of it. I was buying Arisakas when they were forty or fifty bucks, sometimes less, and that's with slings even bayonets included, they just didn't have a collector following like they do today. I rescued quite a few of them back in the day to keep them out of Bubbas hands. Now they are expensive enough that few will think about butchering them up into some sort of " hunting rifle"
And that's starting to be the way with Mosin Nagants now that they're in the $300+ range. I don't see many of those "Look at my Nugget that I sporterized" posts like I used too. Probably a lot of guys out there that wished they'd have never hacked up the ones they did to also.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've seen a couple of m91s and 91/30s that had half of the front sight base broken off. It was from someone trying to force an oversize sight into the dovetail with a big hammer or accidently striking the base instead of the sight when driving the sight out of the dovetail. Since the front sight base is part of the barrel and not part of a ring or sleeve that slips on it tends to be pretty strong. They even had mine dectectors that attached to the barrel the same way a bayonet would and the sights held up fine.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.