Mosin gunsmith needed

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
Robertroadking

Mosin gunsmith needed

Post by Robertroadking »

In the past I used cayote creek armory but I guess they are gone, I want to swap barrels on old Mosin sporter, which takes a smith with experience, any recommendations?
racerguy00

Re: Mosin gunsmith needed

Post by racerguy00 »

Most gunsmiths won't touch a mosin because of the difficulty in removing the barrel and machine work involved in getting a replacement barrel to index properly along with their general view of a mosin being a "cheap junk rifle" The cost wasn't worth it although mosin prices have really gone up.

People on other forums, Facebook and other online groups ask the same questions as you all the time and I bet 1 in 20 are successful in finding someone to do the work and the cost far outstrips the value of the gun. I tend to follow such posts out of curiosity. Good luck in your search.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Special tools, extremely hard to re-index are all the reason no one really does it much. Just like racerguy00 said.

Darryl
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

That I am aware of, it takes someone who knows what they are doing and likes doing it
entropy

Post by entropy »

racerguy00 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:29 pm Most gunsmiths won't touch a mosin because of the difficulty in removing the barrel and machine work involved in getting a replacement barrel to index properly along with their general view of a mosin being a "cheap junk rifle" The cost wasn't worth it although mosin prices have really gone up.

People on other forums, Facebook and other online groups ask the same questions as you all the time and I bet 1 in 20 are successful in finding someone to do the work and the cost far outstrips the value of the gun. I tend to follow such posts out of curiosity. Good luck in your search.
What racerguy said. I am a gunsmith, and I won't switch barrels on Mosins. Huge PITA!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien