Historical 7.62x54r Cast Bullets Help

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Dburnette25

Historical 7.62x54r Cast Bullets Help

Post by Dburnette25 »

I have a 1917 Remington made Mosin that is a joy to shoot and I was looking to make reloads for it as I enjoy reloading and I want to.

I was looking around on the market for what would be the best choice of mold or precast bullets for copying the early 200 grain round nose and the early 174 grain (probably wrong, going off memory) spitzer bullets but I'm having a hard time deciding if they're the right choice.

I found this first one as a precast and seems to be a good choice, I just wish the nose was a little bit more round like the historical ones.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/312-diamete ... 9-312.html

The one to copy the spitzer bullet is of a 7.62x39 design but they fire the same diameter projectiles I think so I'm not thinking much of it but I could be wrong, so correct me if I am. Weight does appear to be on the light end for a 7.62x54r also.

https://www.hunters-supply.com/313-762x ... -2611.html

I figured I'd ask those who have more experience than I if these are good choices or if they have better choices in mind as I'd like to get all the info before buying.

A few more questions:

I'm choosing precast as while I plan on casting my own bullets eventually, at the moment it's not really an option. Is it an option to hire somebody to cast bullets for you if say you supply the mold and lead of course pay for their time and skill? Would make it easier to do that instead of hoping a company already makes the one you are looking for.

Is it possible to do a coating that mimics the nickel color of the Cupro Nickel jacket on the early bullets? I'd like to do it for that extra authenticity.

What powder is recommended when firing out of a full length early Mosin Nagant?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Historical 7.62x54r Cast Bullets Help

Post by Darryl »

I think you have to use a "gas check"? with lead. Not sure but I used to have a bunch with the checks on them.

Darryl
Dburnette25

Post by Dburnette25 »

Darryl wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:33 pm I think you have to use a "gas check"? with lead. Not sure but I used to have a bunch with the checks on them.

Darryl
Yes sir, a gas check is recommend heavily to help with prevent bullet deformity and leading in the barrel.
kenbow

Post by kenbow »

Use of the gas check depends on how fast your sending the bullet down the barrel. Full hot loads Yes use a gas check. Slow light loads/check barrel for leading. Depends what your doing there and how hot/fast the load is your using. I make up some very light, carnival type loads , 1100 fps , no gas checks, works out ok for me.
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold