northeast quake

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

northeast quake

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Anybody else feel that tiny quake we had this morning here in the northeastern states? Happened in Jersey, felt all over NYS. The big shop door shook like it does when a big wind gust hits it followed by a long rumble. I heard it, saw the door shake, but otherwise didn't feel any ground movement. 4.7, or 4.8, that's big for this area. With all the wind and rain we have had this week I just thought it was more of the same until my phone started with the nuke alert tones that scared the shit out of me until I saw what it was about. I don't remember the last time I heard an earthquake, but it's been decades for sure.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: northeast quake

Post by millman »

We have had a few over the years, but they were all mild. In fact I only ever felt 1 of them.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Apparently, the few quakes we have in the Northeast US are felt over a wide area. I'm not sure the reason or the geology behind this. Thankfully, most are not destructive, but there was one some years ago that did damage to the Washington Monument in D.C.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

As I was typing this yesterday evening the aftershock hit. I didn't feel or hear anything for that one, didn't even know about it until later.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Brucifer

Post by Brucifer »

tjtM38 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:37 pm Apparently, the few quakes we have in the Northeast US are felt over a wide area. I'm not sure the reason or the geology behind this. Thankfully, most are not destructive, but there was one some years ago that did damage to the Washington Monument in D.C.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

OMG.......4.8!

:chuckles:

We have 4 to 5's here all the time. Our last big one was Loma Prieta at 6.9..... 1400 times stronger then a 4.8. The worse part of that one is it lasted so damn long. I remember thinking, ..... The house seems OK. At around 20 seconds or so I remember thinking .....this house is coming down if this continues. We try not to think about them if they are under 6

The only good thing about an earthquake (unlike hurricanes, tornadoes, Ice storms, floods) is, they only last a few seconds. Then, you are either alive or dead!. :chuckles:

Darryl
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

What do they say? "Earthquakes don't kill people, buildings kill people."
Aut Pax Aut Bellum