1897 full matching Dragoon and a mystery device

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
RicCollectingMosin

1897 full matching Dragoon and a mystery device

Post by RicCollectingMosin »

Hello everyone! This is my second post here on the forum and basically the first after introducing myself, so i would like to show you something really special...i hope. I had the possibility to acquire this 1897 full matching Dragoon rifle recently. It has been found under a roof of an old house in Northern Italy years ago and it has a really fantastic patina. The stock is also beaten like it should be on a rifle that saw the WW1 trenches. The only sign of an Austro-Hungarian connection is the classic "W" close to the butt plate. No other markings outside the original made at Izhevsk. I will publish pictures of the entire rifle soon but the mystery is the device that apparently was originally found attached to it (on the receiver). You can see it in the pictures. It is not permanently attached to the rifle, just in place with a spring clamp, so you can easily but obviously always carefully remove it leaving no signs on the rifle. The idea is that it could be a sort of WW1 trench periscope or a same era training device. Anyway, i spent days on books...nothing. So i hope you will enjoy this Mosin mystery and in case you have any information on this device and this weird original configuration, please feel free to share. :thumbsup: Thank you!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
willyj73

Re: 1897 full matching Dragoon and a mystery device

Post by willyj73 »

Google Russian to English translator using provided Google keyboard:

captain s.k. rnkovskiy yidna

Looks like an aiming training device. If it's Russian military, it probably should have the factory marking on it somewhere.
Mosin Fanboy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Definitely a training device, very cool find !
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

I'm curious if it has a second angled interior wall similar to the end furthest from the rifle? Could it have held mirrors for indirect aiming? Confused by the flag pole..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Looks like an aim corrector used in training.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
RicCollectingMosin

Hello everyone! First of all thank you very much for all your comments and info about this device! Yes, as you said, this is an aiming training device. After searching more, I found also some pictures of this object in use on the excellent book by Alexander Yuschenko “Model 1891/1930 rifle and its variations”, pag.495 and followings. It is described as the "orthoscope designed by Yankovskiy”, so the officer name on the plate you can see on the initial pictures, who designed this device during the Tsarist era. This was in use also after, in the ’20 and ’30. With the two angled mirrors it was possible for trainee and instructor to aim at the same target. As you can see in the picture below, for example, the rear sight leaf is visible in the mirror on the right side.
RicCollectingMosin

And now some additional pictures of the 1897 Dragoon, as i promised :cam2.gif: :thumbsup: :
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

By the look of the markings on the stock someone was in one hell of a fight against an edged weapon. Sword, blade bayonet, or E-tool maybe. Cool :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Nice
Mosin Fanboy
ded321

Post by ded321 »

What a great find! Lot's of history in that one!
kenbow

Post by kenbow »

Looking good, some kind of sighting deice, have you found out exactly what it is yet?
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold
Sindone

Post by Sindone »

I love seeing rarities like this. Thank you for sharing
RicCollectingMosin

Thank you! I will try to post some other specials in the next days. To answer to Kenbow, yes it is an aiming training device. You will find some more details above in the post number 7 from the beginning. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Insignificant Git

Post by Insignificant Git »

Very cool find! Not just the training device, but unless I am seeing it wrong, the rear sight itself is extremely rare to find still attached to a weapon. That looks like an original sight that would have been replaced after spitzer bullets were adopted.
Last edited by Insignificant Git on Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insignificant Git

Post by Insignificant Git »

:redfaced: And maybe not a Type 1 rear sight, now that I am viewing it on a larger screen than my old phone...