Finn capture M91 with mysterious "P"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
m40_stahlhelm

Finn capture M91 with mysterious "P"

Post by m40_stahlhelm »

Just got interesting Westinghouse M91 Mosin. Looks like a typical Finnish capture having [SA] markings on the left side and a Finnish Civil Guard number on the right side of the chamber
The bolt has no serial number and is a mix of Westinghouse (characteristic E) and Izhevsk parts. The magazine is from Westinghouse but follower assembly - Izhevsk. Wooden stock - Westinghouse, but the metal bottom of the stock has an early Izhevsk arrow.

The most interesting is the P mark on the left side of the chamber. I've never seen this type of P mark on the Finnish capture M91 Mosin. I only know that the P symbol was sometimes used by Izhevsk factory to sign Mosins refurbished in the 20's/30's.

Thus my theory is: this Mosin was used by Imperial/Bolshevik Russians. Next, it was refurbished in Izhevsk factory. Subsequently, it was captured by Finns during the Soviet-Finn war.

Above is only my theory and the discussion is open :). The chamber is standard 7,62x54R, not Finn's 7,62x53R, so the P mark is not connected with any chamber modification.

Have you ever seen this type of P mark on any Finn capture M91? Do you know what does it mean?

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjtM38

Re: Finn capture M91 with mysterious "P"

Post by tjtM38 »

I am not an expert on Finn Mosin Nagants, but I would like to see the rest of the rifle. :thumbsup:
Insignificant Git

Re: Finn capture M91 with mysterious "P"

Post by Insignificant Git »

New England Westinghouse WWI contract inspection mark?

According to Terence Lapin's book, page 226 seven symbols E F H K P R S are believed to be inspection marks, although all of the illustrations in his book have an arrow mark pointing outward conjoined to the center left of the symbols