Finnish M39 Bayonet authenticity question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Snek123

Finnish M39 Bayonet authenticity question

Post by Snek123 »

Hi,

title says it all i was offered to buy this bayo for my M39 rifle.

Does it look good and authentic?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Insignificant Git

Re: Finnish M39 Bayonet authenticity question

Post by Insignificant Git »

Be careful. There are far more reproduction M39 bayonets than surviving originals. I would suggest that posting images on the internet for authentication purposes may not be the best approach. Decent (not Great) reproductions can be found for under $150.00.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Looks good to me. I think it was sharpened after import.
Mosin Fanboy
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

Insignificant Git wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:30 pm Be careful. There are far more reproduction M39 bayonets than surviving originals. I would suggest that posting images on the internet for authentication purposes may not be the best approach. Decent (not Great) reproductions can be found for under $150.00.
why not the best idea? By the way, ive done my research and all the people who have seen the knife have been sure that this is in fact an original.

Do you have pictures of said fake, but good looking knife?
M62

Post by M62 »

Op´s bayonet is real deal.
Snek123

Post by Snek123 »

M62 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:50 pm Op´s bayonet is real deal.
Thank you.

Does it look to you like the original authentic and preserved condition? Thx
M62

Post by M62 »

Snek123 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:26 pm
Thank you.

Does it look to you like the original authentic and preserved condition? Thx
Hello,

Yes it does look original to me.
Insignificant Git

Post by Insignificant Git »

Snek123 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:54 pm
Insignificant Git wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:30 pm Be careful. There are far more reproduction M39 bayonets than surviving originals. I would suggest that posting images on the internet for authentication purposes may not be the best approach. Decent (not Great) reproductions can be found for under $150.00.
why not the best idea? By the way, ive done my research and all the people who have seen the knife have been sure that this is in fact an original.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/finnish- ... ost1018983

Images of a fake in Post #14

Interesting that the original post from 2013 that the above link goes to starts with the words 'Title Says it All" >>>just like this thread began with.<<< I guess more than one person uses a somewhat arcane phrase to start a thread about M39 bayonets.
Curious as to why, if one has "done my research and all the people who have seen the knife have been sure..." is there a need to start a thread about it on a different forum, and then get snippy if someone simply says 'Be Careful'?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Insignificant Git wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 pm
Snek123 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:54 pm

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/finnish- ... ost1018983

Images of a fake in Post #14

Interesting that the original post from 2013 that the above link goes to starts with the words 'Title Says it All" >>>just like this thread began with.<<< I guess more than one person uses a somewhat arcane phrase to start a thread about M39 bayonets.
Curious as to why, if one has "done my research and all the people who have seen the knife have been sure..." is there a need to start a thread about it on a different forum, and then get snippy if someone simply says 'Be Careful'?
Maybe the OP was wanting a second opinion 11 years later. Who knows? I wouldn't have caught that.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis