Weird rear sight markings / 1907 Ishevsk Dragoon

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Kuperkeikkari

Weird rear sight markings / 1907 Ishevsk Dragoon

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

Hello!

I have this 1907 Ishevsk made Dragoon with some really odd rear sight markings. The barrel has a reddish tint to it.
Does someone have any idea what are these? The rear sight still has Ishevsk markings and doesn't seem altered, and the finish of the markings look professional.
I have never seen these markings before.

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Weird rear sight markings / 1907 Ishevsk Dragoon

Post by millman »

If you mean the numbers on the bottom of the sight leaf, then they are for mass volley fire. They would have everyone flip the sight up and set to say 2000. Then the whole group of troops would fire and the mass of bullets would land on the heads of the enemy. IIRC these markings are in Arshins (old Russian distance) not meters or yards.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Kuperkeikkari

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

millman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:51 am If you mean the numbers on the bottom of the sight leaf, then they are for mass volley fire. They would have everyone flip the sight up and set to say 2000. Then the whole group of troops would fire and the mass of bullets would land on the heads of the enemy. IIRC these markings are in Arshins (old Russian distance) not meters or yards.
Thank you for the answer! How rare are these? And to whom were these rifles given to since its for volley fire?
I've never seen these...
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

All of the rifles I have seen with this type of rear sight have them. Mass volley fire was used before machine guns came into wide use is what I have read. They were used by whoever would have been issued a rifle. They weren't used exclusively for volley fire, It was just an option. Flipped down it was just a normal sight and the numbers on the side by the steps would have been used.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Kuperkeikkari

Post by Kuperkeikkari »

millman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:25 am All of the rifles I have seen with this type of rear sight have them. Mass volley fire was used before machine guns came into wide use is what I have read. They were used by whoever would have been issued a rifle. They weren't used exclusively for volley fire, It was just an option. Flipped down it was just a normal sight and the numbers on the side by the steps would have been used.
Oh, I think we are talking about different things. I know the flip-up system and Konovalov rear sight leaf, but I mean the distance markings (300 to 850) on the side of the rear sight base. I haven't seen these numbers, it seems like it's for a different caliber for a different measure system, but the caliber of the rifle is still 7,62. And I've never seen this scale on a rear sight of a mosin.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Kuperkeikkari wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:30 am
millman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:25 am All of the rifles I have seen with this type of rear sight have them. Mass volley fire was used before machine guns came into wide use is what I have read. They were used by whoever would have been issued a rifle. They weren't used exclusively for volley fire, It was just an option. Flipped down it was just a normal sight and the numbers on the side by the steps would have been used.
Oh, I think we are talking about different things. I know the flip-up system and Konovalov rear sight leaf, but I mean the distance markings (300 to 850) on the side of the rear sight base. I haven't seen these numbers, it seems like it's for a different caliber for a different measure system, but the caliber of the rifle is still 7,62. And I've never seen this scale on a rear sight of a mosin.
I see what you are saying. I don't know.

C. S. Lewis
Greedo1977

Post by Greedo1977 »

I would bet the 300-850 markings are just a one off variation of the Finnish metric graduations. Any other Finnish marks/traits?
Looks like a nice early Dragoon! :thumbsup: