M91/30 help with ID markings - new member

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
LisaS

M91/30 help with ID markings - new member

Post by LisaS »

Hello from a new member.

I just bought my first Mosin-Nagant, an M91/30 made in 1943 at Izhevsk. Now the fun part of figuring outthe history of the rifle begins! I've scanned the forums on markings and have figured out the obvious stuff, but still have many questions. (I've ordered the Terence Lapin book, and am looking forward to reading it.)

The rifle has all matching parts and a laminate stock. I've cleaned the cosmoline off, and now am curious about the markings stamped into the stock.
On top of the stock, an inch up from the butt, is a pentagon shape with the number 1 inside it. Another inch up from that is a rectangle with (I think) the number 140 or 146 inside it. (The grain of the laminate makes it hard to tell.) On the right side of the stock, also down towards the butt, is the number 3.

On the underside of the stock, forward of the magazine, is a large letter K, and a B inside a circle. Closer to the barrel band, there's the number 7.

There are other "mystery markings" stamped into the metal, but I'll save those for another post.
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
pentagon rectangle butt.jpg
B and K.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: M91/30 help with ID markings - new member

Post by Darryl »