Thought I had a few thousand .309 but they're .312

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Sudsy

Thought I had a few thousand .309 but they're .312

Post by Sudsy »

A few years ago, Covid time, I picked up a 2500 IMI FMJ BT Match bullets for my .308 - Didn't even have a .308 at the time but it was part of a large reloading lot at an estate sale and I wanted the primers, powder, and especially the linotype pigs !!
Two still sealed 1000 round bags and one half used open one.

Fast forward to a few minutes ago. I pulled some out of the open bag to load 50 rounds for my new never shot CMP Winchester receiver Garand in 308.
I checked them out - they're .312 diameter and 146 gr. (son of a #$#$#& !!!! I thought I was set for years)
Now I have 2500 (+/-) seeds that I've no idea what to do with. Trade some for .309 probably but that will still leave a lot.

My club has a military rifle group that shoot once or twice a month on the 300 yard range.
If I were to get a rifle to compete, what would be the most accurate choice? (I read 29-inch-barreled Mosin-Nagant somewhere)
I have 9 lbs of H4895 already - what would be a good load to start with with these bullets ?
Where do you find brass for this caliber ?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Thought I had a few thousand .309 but they're .312

Post by millman »

A Finnish M39 will be the most accurate Mosin.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Edit - typo in my post
200 yard range, not the 300
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:40 am A few years ago, Covid time, I picked up a 2500 IMI FMJ BT Match bullets for my .308 - Didn't even have a .308 at the time but it was part of a large reloading lot at an estate sale and I wanted the primers, powder, and especially the linotype pigs !!
Two still sealed 1000 round bags and one half used open one.

Fast forward to a few minutes ago. I pulled some out of the open bag to load 50 rounds for my new never shot CMP Winchester receiver Garand in 308.
I checked them out - they're .312 diameter and 146 gr. (son of a #$#$#& !!!! I thought I was set for years)
Now I have 2500 (+/-) seeds that I've no idea what to do with. Trade some for .309 probably but that will still leave a lot.

My club has a military rifle group that shoot once or twice a month on the 300 yard range.
If I were to get a rifle to compete, what would be the most accurate choice? (I read 29-inch-barreled Mosin-Nagant somewhere)
I have 9 lbs of H4895 already - what would be a good load to start with with these bullets ?
Where do you find brass for this caliber ?
I am not a reloader, but can't you just take your pocket knife and shave off 3/1000 of an inch?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

You could use them in an Enfield.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Buy an Enfield, or put them up for sale. Someone would buy them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

EDIT !!!!! 2/2/2024
Everything I wrote in the OP is wrong ! Turns out my good digital calipers have gone out of whack - the bullets ARE .309, not .312

I set up my lee resizing die in .311 just to see how it might work, If it did I'd size to 309 - the bullet dropped right through with room to spare (as I sat there with a confused look)
Double checked with ever set of calipers I have in the shop, and yup, found the problem

Learn from my mistake, check your calipers !!!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Mr Moderator,

If you want to delete this thread that's fine
If you want to leave it as a lesson to others, learn from my stupidity, that's fine too :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Everyone gets older and stupid shit seems to happen, nobody escapes that indignity. On a good day I might remember where any of my calipers are, never mind the sizing dies.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt