M38 Manufactured in 1939 Value

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Signalboss

M38 Manufactured in 1939 Value

Post by Signalboss »

Hello Everyone,
I posted this rifle recently just for viewing. I'm now wondering if I should ship it off to auction or not. I believe there was only around 34,508 produced in 1939. All numbers Match except the mag well floor plate is definitely forced matched. I would appreciate your thoughts of its value in today's market. Rifle is Import stamped and counter bored.
Thanks,
Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M38 Manufactured in 1939 Value

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have not monitored any sales of these for some time now, this year is not common. M38's of any year are sought after, and not nearly as common as the 91/30. I would guess it's over $1000 by now, the 1939 was expensive even when I bought mine 17 years ago. I would wait and watch gunbroker to see if one turns up, then see what happens with the bidding. Watch some regular date M38's also and see what they top out at.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Signalboss

Post by Signalboss »

Junk Yard Dog, Thank you for your thoughts on the rifle's worth. Until recently I forgot it was a first year of production. I'm going to take your advice and remove it from the list. I also have a Finnish 91, which actually was my first Milsurp I purchased. I believe I'm going to also keep it after going over it. I believe it has a WW1 contract Remington receiver. I'll post some pictures and would appreciate If you can tell me if I'm correct.
Thanks again,
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No problem, Remington receivers as well as any other type Mosin receiver can turn up on a Finn built rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Signalboss

Post by Signalboss »

I posted the pictures on a new thread. Thanks again!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

It's been refurbed, the numbers are all force matched. The bolt and buttplate has a different font than the barrel. 39 dated m38s are a tough find and I see more that are Finn captured than standard refurbs like yours. It MIGHT bring 1000 at auction but the last couple most recent ones I've seen sold were about a year and a half ago and 6 months ago and brought 580 and 690 respectively. Going back a little farther and a Finn capture 39 date in a later pattern stock went for a little over 1k. If it had been in the original early patter m38 stock it would have been more. I paid 525 for mine about 3 years ago before the prices went up and that was high at the time but no longer.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Signalboss

Post by Signalboss »

Thanks, Racerguy00,
I decided not to take the chance with the auction company and keep it along with a few others. If I decide to sell, it will be on my terms. I just figured I would sell off about half of my collection and only keep the more valuable rifles and handguns. The guys on the forum have been very helpful with my decisions regarding my Mosin's and Finn's, plus it was good to share pictures of my more unique pieces.