7.62x54r Ammo

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
tod+1

7.62x54r Ammo

Post by tod+1 »

I have some surplus ammo that I purchased. They are not steel (which I know you can't reload). These are a "bronze or cooper color"??
I am not sure what they are made of? Can these be reloaded?

Thank you!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 7.62x54r Ammo

Post by millman »

It could be copper washed steel or brass. stick a magnet to the cases. The thing about reloading them if they are brass, they are Berdan primed. Regular boxer primers won't work.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I have a bunch of Yugoslav heavy ball brass-cased 7.62x54r ammo. The stuff looks brand new, but none of it is reloadable due to berdan priming.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

tjtM38 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:25 pm I have a bunch of Yugoslav heavy ball brass-cased 7.62x54r ammo. The stuff looks brand new, but none of it is reloadable due to berdan priming.
You know, back when you could get Berdan primers, (which I don't think if you can anymore). A guy came up with a way to deprime them with a wooden punch and water. Pretty neat.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis