Mosin I.D./Valuation

Post your model specific Mosin here!
ChiefWhackABuck

Mosin I.D./Valuation

Post by ChiefWhackABuck »

Good day, all

I have an opportunity to pick up this Mosin, however I don't know what it's worth or what type of mosin it is.

My guess is an M91/30, it's from 1931 and has a hex receiver. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mosin I.D./Valuation

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

91/30, but with blade front sight as would be seen on a dragoon rifle. Could be Finn modified, or just a 91/30 that hadn't had the front sight upgraded yet. Not one of the more common Soviet refurbished rifles, looks more Balkan used, or maybe Finn, Spanish Civil War used is a possibility also. It was made at Izhevsk in 1931
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ChiefWhackABuck

Junk Yard Dog wrote:91/30, but with blade front sight as would be seen on a dragoon rifle. Could be Finn modified, or just a 91/30 that hadn't had the front sight upgraded yet. Not one of the more common Soviet refurbished rifles, looks more Balkan used, or maybe Finn, Spanish Civil War used is a possibility also. It was made at Izhevsk in 1931
Thank you for the quick response. I wasn't sure if it was a post 1928-9 dragoon from what I was reading up on. Looking to trade my stock G19x for it, so basically a $500 tag is what the guy is looking for. That seem fair for a model like this?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Dragoon rifle didn't just vanish overnight in 1930 when the new specifications were approved. The changeover to 91/30 was gradual as old style parts still in inventory were used up. I was told that this change would continue into 1934 sometime before all the rifles being produced were using the new spec parts. My own 1931 Izhevsk looks just like this one but has Finn SA marking on it, the front sight blade is Izhevsk marked. I was told by Mosin book author Karl Heinze Wrobel, then a member of the first Mosin board, that it was a transitional 91/30. 91/30 rear sight, but dragoon front blade. Most average 91/30's are going for 400-600 now, Finn marked bring more, and if that sight is Izhevsk marked and this is an unaltered transitional 91/30 then 800-1000, maybe more as they are not common.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ChiefWhackABuck

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Dragoon rifle didn't just vanish overnight in 1930 when the new specifications were approved. The changeover to 91/30 was gradual as old style parts still in inventory were used up. I was told that this change would continue into 1934 sometime before all the rifles being produced were using the new spec parts. My own 1931 Izhevsk looks just like this one but has Finn SA marking on it, the front sight blade is Izhevsk marked. I was told by Mosin book author Karl Heinze Wrobel, then a member of the first Mosin board, that it was a transitional 91/30. 91/30 rear sight, but dragoon front blade. Most average 91/30's are going for 400-600 now, Finn marked bring more, and if that sight is Izhevsk marked and this is an unaltered transitional 91/30 then 800-1000, maybe more as they are not common.
Oh nice, definitely worth the G19x trade then imo. I will be inspecting it further before agreeing to anything.

At that point, I'll inspect the front sight and other markings where applicable, and post more updates! Thank you for your insight, sir.

willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:00 pm The Dragoon rifle didn't just vanish overnight in 1930 when the new specifications were approved. The changeover to 91/30 was gradual as old style parts still in inventory were used up. I was told that this change would continue into 1934 sometime before all the rifles being produced were using the new spec parts. My own 1931 Izhevsk looks just like this one but has Finn SA marking on it, the front sight blade is Izhevsk marked. I was told by Mosin book author Karl Heinze Wrobel, then a member of the first Mosin board, that it was a transitional 91/30. 91/30 rear sight, but dragoon front blade. Most average 91/30's are going for 400-600 now, Finn marked bring more, and if that sight is Izhevsk marked and this is an unaltered transitional 91/30 then 800-1000, maybe more as they are not common.
I was thinking "transitional rifle" when I saw the rear sight. The early rear sights had the long.....I don't know what to call it. The divot (?) or cut-out section in the rear sight is longer on the early sights. The early rear sight slider has a distinct shape to it as well as the buttons. Here is a link to an article that shows the early sights for the transitional 91/30 rifles https://www.m9130.info/sights

Also, the barrel bands on the transitional rifles had "buttons". A photo of the bands can be found towards the bottom of the page on this link https://www.m9130.info/stocks-handguards
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I'll post a transitional rifle that I own. I thought I posted it here. I could not find an old post; so, I must not have. I'll post it in the regular Mosin section.
Mosin Fanboy
ChiefWhackABuck

willyj73 wrote:I'll post a transitional rifle that I own. I thought I posted it here. I could not find an old post; so, I must not have. I'll post it in the regular Mosin section.
Thank you sir, I'll go take a look!

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It is a very nice rifle, not a standard refurbished 91/30. Congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ChiefWhackABuck

SA1911a1 wrote:It is a very nice rifle, not a standard refurbished 91/30. Congrats!
That's really encouraging to hear, can't wait to see it in person.

I'll try to get more pictures of it for you guys. Would be cool to take it on a wild boar hunt [emoji848]

racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The front sight looks too short for a transitional 91/30 front sight. I'd say it's a shorter m91 blade. If so that will make it hit extremely high at the range. With the condition it looks like a Balkan import but could be a Spanish import. If there are no import marks Spain is a good possibility. In that condition and mismatched sights etc I wouldn't go above 350 in value if it were me. 500 is way too much. Much nicer Spanish imports have been selling for under 500.

Does the rear sight base have cross pins through it to retain it? That was a mid-ww2 addition that carried over to the post war refurb process. If it has those pins its definitely not a Spanish import and the price drops accordingly Imo
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.