M28 30 Un-numbered bolt question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mebailj

M28 30 Un-numbered bolt question

Post by mebailj »

I just picked up a Finnish Model 28 30. Rifle’s serial is in the 41,0000 range. The bolt is a New England Westinghouse bolt. Has the E on top of the bolt body. But there are no numbers on the bolt at all. Did the Finns use bolts in the M28 30 that were not numbered to the barrel? Rifle is in pretty good original condition, has a mint bore. Even has a reddish brown leather and canvas sling marked SKY. Bolt seems aged to the gun. What do you think?
willyj73

Re: M28 30 Un-numbered bolt question

Post by willyj73 »

Rifle could have been missing a bolt and new owner purchased a spare bolt.
Mosin Fanboy
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: M28 30 Un-numbered bolt question

Post by Darryl »

mebailj wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:43 pm I just picked up a Finnish Model 28 30. Rifle’s serial is in the 41,0000 range. The bolt is a New England Westinghouse bolt. Has the E on top of the bolt body. But there are no numbers on the bolt at all. Did the Finns use bolts in the M28 30 that were not numbered to the barrel? Rifle is in pretty good original condition, has a mint bore. Even has a reddish brown leather and canvas sling marked SKY. Bolt seems aged to the gun. What do you think?
Yes, they replaced bolts and didn't always re-number them.
Or, like said it was replaced sometime.

I wouldn't worry about it. It OK.

Any photos of the rifle????? We love photos!

Darryl