I have Elmer Fudds gun

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Sonny

I have Elmer Fudds gun

Post by Sonny »

Arrived today in the mail. An IGA coachgun 12 gauge,20 inch barrels,3 inch chambers and double triggers. :thumbsup:
There's just something about a short double barrel 12 gauge that says "Get off my land you varmint. :lol:

Tried it out and it shoots good but 3 inch high speed steel BB ammo rocks you back a bit but low brass birdshot can be shot with one hand. Years ago a cop told me that if someone breaks into your home and intends to do you harm then shoot him with birdshot into center of mass. He said that if you use 00 buck or slugs that then it shows "intent" to kill. Whereas using birdshot it shows that you were frightened and just grabbed whatever ammo was closest at hand and you did not intend to kill anyone.Plus buckshot will go through walls and could hurt someone outside or even go into your neighbours house... I wonder what Elmer used for ammo. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: I have Elmer Fudds gun

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now that's funny, I was just oiling up my own version of that earlier this evening. Also Stoeger IGA Brazil, but earlier, guy I bought it from said 1980-82 sometime, and 2 3/4 chambers. Markings are a bit different, and no engraved name on it, no vented barrel either. At least that looks like it's vented on the underside. I bought it from a guy who ran a small garbage company In NYC for a year or two, he kept it loaded and under his desk. He never fired it, and I haven't yet either. He did once point it at a mobbed up union organizer who was shaking him down and thought flashing a shoulder holster would help negotiation's. Along with the shotgun the organizer also faced the guys brother, former member of Hitler's SS, a real hard case who shoved a Luger into the guys nutsack as he relieved him of whatever was in the shoulder holster. I asked what happened next and got a rather vague answer. Long retired now, when he sold it to me the action had stuck from dried lubricant after 30 years in a closet, only the second time I have seen that happen. It looks similar to yours, but not quite the same, I guess they made tiny changes over the years, if it doesn't rain this weekend maybe I will take it out again for some pictures.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Cool, there is something extra cool about a short double barrel shotgun.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mine does have a ported barrel, sort of, ports on the underside anyway. Note the buttplate is oversize, it was broken and the replacement still has to be sized down a little bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Nice. :thumbsup:

Some day I'll take mine trap shooting just for fun and I'll let you know how I did. :wink:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sonny wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:35 pm Arrived today in the mail. An IGA coachgun 12 gauge,20 inch barrels,3 inch chambers and double triggers. :thumbsup:
There's just something about a short double barrel 12 gauge that says "Get off my land you varmint. :lol:

Tried it out and it shoots good but 3 inch high speed steel BB ammo rocks you back a bit but low brass birdshot can be shot with one hand. Years ago a cop told me that if someone breaks into your home and intends to do you harm then shoot him with birdshot into center of mass. He said that if you use 00 buck or slugs that then it shows "intent" to kill. Whereas using birdshot it shows that you were frightened and just grabbed whatever ammo was closest at hand and you did not intend to kill anyone.Plus buckshot will go through walls and could hurt someone outside or even go into your neighbours house... I wonder what Elmer used for ammo. :lol:
Elmer used Wabbit Shot........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Elmer used Wemington, Winchesta, Fedewal, and Bwowning. Preferably #4 for wascals.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:09 am Mine does have a ported barrel, sort of, ports on the underside anyway. Note the buttplate is oversize, it was broken and the replacement still has to be sized down a little bit.
That second picture is Spanish for "Gotcha", (I)ntestines, (G)onads, &(A)ss
Made in Brazil
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:27 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:09 am Mine does have a ported barrel, sort of, ports on the underside anyway. Note the buttplate is oversize, it was broken and the replacement still has to be sized down a little bit.
That second picture is Spanish for "Gotcha", (I)ntestines, (G)onads, &(A)ss
Made in Brazil
A Gaucha is a south American cowboy, or Spanish for cowboy I suppose.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

It would be a female Gauhco. Spanish for cowboy is Vacquero. Gaucho is a term local to Argentina.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

entropy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:40 am It would be a female Gauhco. Spanish for cowboy is Vacquero. Gaucho is a term local to Argentina.
and Brazil it would seem. Maybe it's of Portuguese origin?
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The Cabellero's know that these double barrel gouchos will Getcha. :bdh:
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nice, coach guns are really pretty cool. :thumbsup:

(Elmer Fudd America's hunting icon carried a coach gun?)
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

etprescottazusa91 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:58 am Nice, coach guns are really pretty cool. :thumbsup:

(Elmer Fudd America's hunting icon carried a coach gun?)
Yeah he did.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9434BoGkNQ
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

I bought an old Ithaca Flues double 12 ga. I didn’t notice a small swelling on the underside of one barrel. I wasn’t going to shoot it like that,nor would I sell to someone, so I had my gunner buddy cut it down to around 21”. He made a nice job, put the bead back on. Oh my! Is it ever LOUD and kicks like a mule. Oddly, it wasn’t chambered for 2 3/4”, so I had a gunsmith clean the innards, fix an unseen crack and stretched it out to 2 3/4”. If I happen to buy a “coach”, I’m all set 😉
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lot of the older guns were 2 9/16", I think the last Ithaca double was sometime in the 20's. I would keep it to lower pressure loads, too bad about the barrel bulge, these are nice guns. We had one tucked behind a door in the shop for over 50 years before changing it out for a pump model. It was there for sorting out certain problems that might arise in a predominantly cash business.
Theodore Roosevelt