Finnish m91 stock markings

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ffuries

Re: Finnish m91 stock markings

Post by ffuries »

It's easy to take it apart. Here's a page from the knowledgebase section of the forum that talks you through the disassembly process.

https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/app.php/page/48
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Your barrel bands have screws and they are removed backwards per se. To loosen the screw turn it right (clockwise) turn until it's loose. The screw cannot be removed, so just loosen it. Again right to loosen, left to tighten.

Remove the cleaning rod, bolt, then the front barrel band, it will just slide down to the front sight after it is loose, remove the top handguard, then slide the rear barrel band down. Remove the trigger guard screw, and the receiver tang screw. Pull trigger assembly from the stock, lift the barreled receiver assembly from the stock. No need to go further unless you want to inspect everything and make sure it's all de-greased amd properly oiled.

Can't remember if the forward sling swivel needs removed for breaking it down or not, and I can't remember if those screws are left tight, right loose or if they are normal.

Rarely if ever do the bayonets on M91s match. Even on M91/30s they were force matched during refurb, and a lot of them mismatched once they arrived in the US.
Last edited by ffuries on Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

weirdly there was no markers mark under the tang the only markings i could find were under the recoil lug which i forgot to take a pic of but there was a k and a d I will post pics of the trigger and under the top tang . there were two little wood screws that hold the barrel band from slipping one of them i kinda messed up even though i thought i had the right screwdriver bit oh well I guess I need to find a set of those. Regardless i will show ya some photos of my findings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

I also discovered a marking on the floorplate that I will post a pic off. here also is the screw that got messed up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

The bow and arrow and the arrow in a triangle are for the Izhevsk Arsenal, if there are any hammer looking markings they are for the Tula Arsenal. The marking in the first picture I can't tell what it is.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I'm at a complete loss on the receiver......Can't figure out who would've/could've made it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

ffuries wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:28 pm I'm at a complete loss on the receiver......Can't figure out who would've/could've made it.
Maybe it is the original reciever? I doubt people forge mosins very often
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

apparently remington and westinghouses did not mark the underside of the tang. But one on the top
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

this is just some info i found on a forum New England Westinghouse M91's had neither dates on the tang or the Imperial crest stamped on the top of the receiver so that's a possible origin of your receiver. Look on the underside of the receiver for a stamped letter such as a E or a M with a arrow pointing right, N.E.W. M91's used this stamp with different letters depending on which factory made the part.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

finnedmosin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:42 am this is just some info i found on a forum New England Westinghouse M91's had neither dates on the tang or the Imperial crest stamped on the top of the receiver so that's a possible origin of your receiver. Look on the underside of the receiver for a stamped letter such as a E or a M with a arrow pointing right, N.E.W. M91's used this stamp with different letters depending on which factory made the part.
I agree that the receiver is probably original to that barrel.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

millman wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:12 am
finnedmosin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:42 am this is just some info i found on a forum New England Westinghouse M91's had neither dates on the tang or the Imperial crest stamped on the top of the receiver so that's a possible origin of your receiver. Look on the underside of the receiver for a stamped letter such as a E or a M with a arrow pointing right, N.E.W. M91's used this stamp with different letters depending on which factory made the part.
i think it is likely it could be a very early non american mosin reciever that wasn't marked but I kinda doubt that
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

very weird that it has a russian trigger and floorplate but it is highly likely that the reciever is original
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

would you guys know where I could get a new screw for the buggered one that I mentioned?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

finnedmosin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:38 pm very weird that it has a russian trigger and floorplate but it is highly likely that the reciever is original
Mixed parts are the norm on Finnish mosins. The trigger, floorplate, basically anything could be from any arsenal.

Which screw is buggered? I can't tell from the pic.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

millman wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:56 pm
finnedmosin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:38 pm very weird that it has a russian trigger and floorplate but it is highly likely that the reciever is original
Mixed parts are the norm on Finnish mosins. The trigger, floorplate, basically anything could be from any arsenal.

Which screw is buggered? I can't tell from the pic.
like you know the two bands that hold the stock? only finnish mosin stocks there are wood screws that go in front of those bands so the bands don't slide
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Look for #2 domed head slotted wood screws at the hardware store. I got the plated steel ones. Heat them up redhot with a propane torch and then drop them in some old nasty black oil. Instant 100 year old looking screw. I know of no source for originals.

C. S. Lewis
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

millman wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:24 pm Look for #2 domed head slotted wood screws at the hardware store. I got the plated steel ones. Heat them up redhot with a propane torch and then drop them in some old nasty black oil. Instant 100 year old looking screw. I know of no source for originals.
k thanks
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

ffuries wrote:The cross cannons with the Z is the stock manufacturer. Heres an example that's on my M91/24 Lotta Rifle. I don't think they have associated a "Letter/Number" to any specific manufacturer. I've seen a L, S, X and an 8.

The other letter is probably an inspection mark, the meaning lost to time and history.
I think the narrative that cross cannons with a letter or number are manufacturers marks is not correct. Have seen the marks on too many other types of items. Also no manufactures list has been discovered that I am aware of. I think instead it is some sort of inspection or acceptance mark.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

finnedmosin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:37 pm
millman wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:12 am
i think it is likely it could be a very early non american mosin reciever that wasn't marked but I kinda doubt that
The M with arrow stamp on the top of the receiver tang is a proof stamp used by the New England Westinghouse plant located in Meridan CT. In addition, the NK circle stamp is a inspection proof used by the Russian Inspection committee assigned to N.E.W. so the receiver is original the the barrel
sparky236

Post by sparky236 »

No need to look at the bottom of the receiver - it's a Westinghouse by the top stamp which matches the barrel - and they aren't dated underneath. All NEWs are marked 1915. The bolt is a later Soviet bolt renumbered and the cleaning rod is the M39 style but also sometimes found in longer lenght on M91s.