GG Uncles Pocket Watch

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
ffuries

GG Uncles Pocket Watch

Post by ffuries »

I have my mom's great uncles pocket watch, he was a Dutch Merchant Marine for years. Haven't been able to narrow the watch date down more precisely than 1882-1934.

As you can see the hands on this watch are very delicate and why the hour hand has become broken at some point prior to me acquiring it. The case is well warn and the movement was cleaned and serviced in the mids 80s by an antique watch repairman in Prüm, Germany.

Guess I'll have to find a qualified watch repair person to change out the hour hand when I find a replacement one. JYD told me in another post it's a delicate procedure.

Case back marked in side as follows.

Excelsa = Manufacture.

0.800 = Silver content.

Grouse Hallmark = Switzerland, used between 1882 - 1934 (Based on the style of the hallmark).

1028 = ?

Galonne = Gold plated silver.

180704 = Serial Number.

6 = For Jewels again?

Outside of movement cover marked as follows.

Remontoir = Uses a winding button.

6 Rubis = 6 Jewels.

Inside of movement cover marked as follows.

Metal = Guessing that part is made of metal.

180704 = Serial Number.

Movement marked as follows.

SF = Slow/Fast.

RA = Retard/Advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Re: GG Uncles Pocket Watch

Post by SA1911a1 »

Mike, give Padgett's Jewelry in Quincy a call. The owner is ancient, but he still works on watches, he has been around so long, he probably has the hand you need...The old man that owns the shop is a heck of a nice fellow, but beware of his wife and daughter that work there. I have tried to remove the word from my language that accurately describes both of them. I have been trying to buy a nickel plated 1911 from him for about ten years, I think he would sell it to me, but the wife thinks its made of gold.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:54 pm Mike, give Padgett's Jewelry in Quincy a call. The owner is ancient, but he still works on watches, he has been around so long, he probably has the hand you need...The old man that owns the shop is a heck of a nice fellow, but beware of his wife and daughter that work there. I have tried to remove the word from my language that accurately describes both of them. I have been trying to buy a nickel plated 1911 from him for about ten years, I think he would sell it to me, but the wife thinks its made of gold.
Steve, will do. Does the dirty word start with a letter "B".....?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You will likely end up with both hands replaced so they match. Time to service the movement while your at it. The rule is service it every two years if the watch is worn daily.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:31 am You will likely end up with both hands replaced so they match. Time to service the movement while your at it. The rule is service it every two years if the watch is worn daily.
I tried two times to carry a pocket watch. Within a couple of weeks, they ended up going through the wash; not the proper way to clean a watch.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:26 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:31 am You will likely end up with both hands replaced so they match. Time to service the movement while your at it. The rule is service it every two years if the watch is worn daily.
I tried two times to carry a pocket watch. Within a couple of weeks, they ended up going through the wash; not the proper way to clean a watch.
You forgot to take your watch out of your pocket before washing the clothing? Easy solution, you buy this watch-
https://www.ashlandwatches.com/mm5/merc ... ch-VC1-035

I absolutely guarantee that you will never forget that you are carrying around $275,000 at the end of a chain in your pocket. It will dominate your thoughts day and night.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt