1934 Tula Mosin w/ No Serial on Bolt

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Asterperious

1934 Tula Mosin w/ No Serial on Bolt

Post by Asterperious »

Hi everyone,

I picked up this 1934 Tula with a few quirks and wanted to see if anyone knew whether this rifle was refurbished/field repaired vs just messed by an individual with at some point in its history.

It's all matching minus the bolt which is either unnumbered or the serial has been scrubbed. The stock also appears to have been sanded as the Tula cartouche is barely visible. It also doesn't have any import mark that I can find.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Srupidhaircuts

Re: 1934 Tula Mosin w/ No Serial on Bolt

Post by Srupidhaircuts »

Any SA marks?
Looks to be a non refurb
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No import marks? Nothing that is stamped " made in USSR, or URRS " ? I note a non Soviet standard spring hanger that could be Finn, or Spanish. Sometimes they screwed up the details and forgot stuff, leaving out a bolt serial number is not outside the realm of possibility. Definetly does not look like a Soviet style finish, the darker color looks more Finn, or Spanish going by similar rifles with that known. heritage in my own collection.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Asterperious

Post by Asterperious »

Thanks for the replies! Yeah I took it apart this morning with no import marks found anywhere. I haven't found any Finn markings either, but I do agree that the stock finish looks like a lot of the Finn rifles I've seen. Do you think that the serial on the bolt looks to be scrubbed down vs not added?
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Austrian-Hungarian MN's also had wire sling hangers, and there were some Balkans rifles that had them also. But I agree the look of the stock makes one think Finnish in origin.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you are in the US then the lack of any import mark would mean the rifle was imported into the country before 1968 when import marks were mandated by law on imported firearms. I don't recall if Finland had let go of any Mosins to the surplus market yet before 1968, but Spain for sure did. That was the first big lot of surplus Mosins to come in, all of them Soviet aid rifles sent to the Republican side during Spains civil war 1936-39. The 1934 date does put this rifle in the right range of years. The bolt looks to have an even patina, and I see no sign of the heavy grinding needed to remove the deeply stamped numbers, but there is only so much I can tell from a picture.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Asterperious

Post by Asterperious »

It's definitely a bit of a funky rifle, it seems like SCW is probably the most likely origin despite it missing a lot of the tell tale signs minus the sling hanger and sanded stock though it definitely could be an unmarked Finn.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

No serial number on bolt could be anything. Repair in field, in arsenal, or just missed. I've seen all of those happen.
The rear sling wire remind me more of Finn then anything else.
Well, lots of question there.

Darryl