Need Help Identifying M91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
oldguncollector51

Need Help Identifying M91/30

Post by oldguncollector51 »

Hello all, new to the forum and hoping you all can help me identify my recently acquired M91/30.

Here is what I know:

Year: 1942
Manufacturer: Izhevsk
Old Serial Number: NY9054
New Serial Number: C51717
Contains X marking indicative of a capture and a box with a line through it saying maybe Ukraine captured it?

everywhere there was an old serial number it has been replaced with C51717 including the butt plate and bolt. I am trying to see if I can identify who captured it but not having much luck.

Pics can be found here: M91/30 Images

Thanks for the insight.
collector 30 or 60

Re: Need Help Identifying M91/30

Post by collector 30 or 60 »

Welcome to the forum!
I'm not familiar with any marking that would indicate it had been captured Other than the barrel being renumbered, which is unusual to me, everything else looks to be just standard run of the mill post-war Soviet refurbishing. The box with a slash indicates Ukraine made the stock and likely refurb'd the entire rifle.
oldguncollector51

Post by oldguncollector51 »

So would Ukraine have renumbered it when they refurbished it? seems odd to me that they would do that but maybe that is normal, my only point of comparison is my SMLE which has a second set of proof marks from a later date to indicate it was refurbished but the serial number remained the same.

I am wondering if the stock was the base piece and then everything else was renumbered off of the stock since the butt plate on the stock wasn't renumbered.
Last edited by oldguncollector51 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sounds like typical refurb markings.

Look at the following link which is the Knowledge Base area of the forum here, if you scroll down a bit you'll come across the area where the refurb markings are. The Knowledge Base section has lots of information to read through, has answers to just about every question you'll have, and lots you haven't thought of yet.

Markings Section:

app.php/page/59

Main page for the RMNF Mosin Knowledge Base:

app.php/page/1
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
collector 30 or 60

Post by collector 30 or 60 »

oldguncollector51 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:35 pm So would Ukraine have renumbered it when they refurbished it? seems odd to me that they would do that but maybe that is normal, my only point of comparison is my SMLE which has a second set of proof marks from a later date to indicate it was refurbished but the serial number remained the same.

I am wondering if the stock was the base piece and then everything else was renumbered off of the stock since the butt plate on the stock wasn't renumbered.
Those are good links that FFURIES suggested.
Mosin's were refurb in a much different fashion than Lee Enfield's. I'm painting with a wide brush here, but during refurbishment, Mosin's were completely taken apart, each part "redone", and then the rifle was reassembled. All original numbers were either crossed out, or ground off, and then each part was renumbered to match the barrel. Most likely the butt plate's original number was ground away, then re-stamped making it appear to be original.
From what I can see, your stock is post war Ukranian made.